Anuradha (Bapsi) Chakravarthy, M.D.
Professor, Program Director
Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Clinical Trials Information
- Clinical Trials: 1-800-811-8480
- Online Self-Referral Form
- Other Telephone NumbersVanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center Radiation Oncology
- FaxesVanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center Radiation Oncology Fax
The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC) - Preston Research Building
Department of Radiation Oncology, B1003
1301 22nd Ave. South
Nashville, TN 37323-5671
Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center Radiation Oncology
22nd at Pierce Avenue, B1034
Nashville, TN 37232-5671
Dr. Anuradha (Bapsi) Chakravarthy, known better to her patients and colleagues as Bapsi Chak, is a member of the faculty and Residency Director in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Dr. Anuradha (Bapsi) Chakravarthy, known better to her patients and colleagues as Bapsi Chak, is a member of the faculty and Residency Director in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Dr. Chak received her Doctor of Medicine degree from the George Washington University, Washington, D.C. Following a residency in Internal Medicine at the Mayo Clinic she completed a fellowship in Medical Oncology at the University of Maryland and Radiation Oncology at the Johns Hopkins University. She is board certified in both radiation oncology and medical oncology. She has served on several university committees including the Scientific Review Committee, the Institutional Review Board and the Data Safety and Monitoring Board. On a national level, Dr. Chak serves as Radiation Oncology Chair, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Dr. Chak's clinical interests involve treating malignancies of the breast and gastrointestinal tract (esophageal, pancreas, gastric, colorectal, and anal). Her research interests involve the development of markers to predict therapeutic response. Currently we treat many patients empirically with drugs that may benefit the population as a whole but not necessarily the individual. Using new technologies to analyze thousands of genes and proteins simultaneously from tumors, Dr. Chak hopes to identify molecular patterns that will predict an individual's response to specific agents. Dr. Chak works closely with basic scientists to help bring ideas developed in the laboratory directly to patient care. Dr. Chak also works with imaging scientists to determine whether non-invasive tools such as imaging can be used to predict therapeutic outcome.
- B.S. -The Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, Maryland
- M.D.- George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Resident in Internal Medicine- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
- Resident in Radiation Oncology- The Johns Hopkins Univeristy, Baltimore, Maryland
- Fellow in Medical Oncology- University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
Clinical Research Description
Dr. Chak's primary clinical interests are in Breast and Gastrointestinal Malignancies. Her research interests include the development of novel ways to combine radiation with radiosensitizing chemotherapy. Patients interested in participating in studies looking at better ways to combine Chemotherapy and Radiation should contact: Ms. Teresa Knoop 1-800-811-8480 .
- FitzHenry, F, Wells, N, Slater, V, Dietrich, MS, Wisawatapnimit, P, Chakravarthy, AB A randomized placebo-controlled pilot study of the impact of healing touch on fatigue in breast cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy. Integr Cancer Ther, 13(2), 105-13, 2014.
- Li, X, Kang, H, Arlinghaus, LR, Abramson, RG, Chakravarthy, AB, Abramson, VG, Farley, J, Sanders, M, Yankeelov, TE Analyzing Spatial Heterogeneity in DCE- and DW-MRI Parametric Maps to Optimize Prediction of Pathologic Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer. Transl Oncol, 7(1), 14-22, 2014.
- Li, X, Arlinghaus, LR, Ayers, GD, Chakravarthy, AB, Abramson, RG, Abramson, VG, Atuegwu, N, Farley, J, Mayer, IA, Kelley, MC, Meszoely, IM, Means-Powell, J, Grau, AM, Sanders, M, Bhave, SR, Yankeelov, TE DCE-MRI analysis methods for predicting the response of breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: pilot study findings. Magn Reson Med, 71(4), 1592-602, 2014.
- Atuegwu, NC, Li, X, Arlinghaus, LR, Abramson, RG, Williams, JM, Chakravarthy, AB, Abramson, VG, Yankeelov, TE Longitudinal, intermodality registration of quantitative breast PET and MRI data acquired before and during neoadjuvant chemotherapy: preliminary results. Med Phys, 41(5), 052302, 2014.
- Weis, JA, Miga, MI, Arlinghaus, LR, Li, X, Chakravarthy, AB, Abramson, V, Farley, J, Yankeelov, TE A mechanically coupled reaction-diffusion model for predicting the response of breast tumors to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Phys Med Biol, 58(17), 5851-66, 2013.
- Abramson, RG, Li, X, Hoyt, TL, Su, PF, Arlinghaus, LR, Wilson, KJ, Abramson, VG, Chakravarthy, AB, Yankeelov, TE Early assessment of breast cancer response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy by semi-quantitative analysis of high-temporal resolution DCE-MRI: preliminary results. Magn Reson Imaging, 31(9), 1457-64, 2013.
- Al-Greene, NT, Means, AL, Lu, P, Jiang, A, Schmidt, CR, Chakravarthy, AB, Merchant, NB, Washington, MK, Zhang, B, Shyr, Y, Deane, NG, Beauchamp, RD Four jointed box 1 promotes angiogenesis and is associated with poor patient survival in colorectal carcinoma. PLoS One, 8(7), e69660, 2013.
- Atuegwu, NC, Arlinghaus, LR, Li, X, Chakravarthy, AB, Abramson, VG, Sanders, ME, Yankeelov, TE Parameterizing the Logistic Model of Tumor Growth by DW-MRI and DCE-MRI Data to Predict Treatment Response and Changes in Breast Cancer Cellularity during Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Transl Oncol, 6(3), 256-64, 2013.
- Wang, T, Wentz, SC, Ausborn, NL, Washington, MK, Merchant, N, Zhao, Z, Shyr, Y, Chakravarthy, AB, Xia, F Pattern of breast cancer susceptibility gene 1 expression is a potential prognostic biomarker in resectable pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Pancreas, 42(6), 977-82, 2013.
- Castel, LD, Hartmann, KE, Mayer, IA, Saville, BR, Alvarez, J, Boomershine, CS, Abramson, VG, Chakravarthy, AB, Friedman, DL, Cella, DF Time course of arthralgia among women initiating aromatase inhibitor therapy and a postmenopausal comparison group in a prospective cohort. Cancer, 119(13), 2375-82, 2013.
- Li, X, Abramson, RG, Arlinghaus, LR, Chakravarthy, AB, Abramson, V, Mayer, I, Farley, J, Delbeke, D, Yankeelov, TE An algorithm for longitudinal registration of PET/CT images acquired during neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer: preliminary results. EJNMMI Res, 2(1), 62, 2012.
- Chan, E, Wise, PE, Chakravarthy, AB Controversies in radiation for upper rectal cancers. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 10(12), 1567-72, 2012.
- Chakravarthy, AB, Catalano, PJ, Mondschein, JK, Rosenthal, DI, Haller, DG, Whittington, R, Spitz, FR, Wagner, H, Sigurdson, ER, Tschetter, LK, Bayer, GK, Mulcahy, MF, Benson, AB Phase II Trial of Paclitaxel/Cisplatin Followed by Surgery and Adjuvant Radiation Therapy and 5-Fluorouracil/Leucovorin for Gastric Cancer (ECOG E7296). Gastrointest Cancer Res, 5(6), 191-7, 2012.
- Li, X, Welch, EB, Chakravarthy, AB, Xu, L, Arlinghaus, LR, Farley, J, Mayer, IA, Kelley, MC, Meszoely, IM, Means-Powell, J, Abramson, VG, Grau, AM, Gore, JC, Yankeelov, TE Statistical comparison of dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI pharmacokinetic models in human breast cancer. Magn Reson Med, 68(1), 261-71, 2012.
- Snyder, RA, Castaldo, ET, Bailey, CE, Phillips, SE, Chakravarthy, AB, Merchant, NB Survival Benefit of Adjuvant Radiation Therapy for Gastric Cancer following Gastrectomy and Extended Lymphadenectomy. Int J Surg Oncol, 2012307670, 2012.
- Li, X, Welch, EB, Arlinghaus, LR, Chakravarthy, AB, Xu, L, Farley, J, Loveless, ME, Mayer, IA, Kelley, MC, Meszoely, IM, Means-Powell, JA, Abramson, VG, Grau, AM, Gore, JC, Yankeelov, TE A novel AIF tracking method and comparison of DCE-MRI parameters using individual and population-based AIFs in human breast cancer. Phys Med Biol, 56(17), 5753-69, 2011.
- Mani, S, Chen, Y, Arlinghaus, LR, Li, X, Chakravarthy, AB, Bhave, SR, Welch, EB, Levy, MA, Yankeelov, TE Early prediction of the response of breast tumors to neoadjuvant chemotherapy using quantitative MRI and machine learning. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2011868-77, 2011.
- Lehmann, BD, Bauer, JA, Chen, X, Sanders, ME, Chakravarthy, AB, Shyr, Y, Pietenpol, JA Identification of human triple-negative breast cancer subtypes and preclinical models for selection of targeted therapies. J Clin Invest, 121(7), 2750-67, 2011.
- Atuegwu, NC, Arlinghaus, LR, Li, X, Welch, EB, Chakravarthy, BA, Gore, JC, Yankeelov, TE Integration of diffusion-weighted MRI data and a simple mathematical model to predict breast tumor cellularity during neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Magn Reson Med, 66(6), 1689-96, 2011.
- Chakravarthy, AB, Catalano, PJ, Martenson, JA, Mondschein, JK, Wagner, H, Mansour, EG, Talamonti, MS, Benson, AB Long-term follow-up of a Phase II trial of high-dose radiation with concurrent 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin in patients with anal cancer (ECOG E4292). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 81(4), e607-13, 2011.
- Jiang, J, Yang, ES, Jiang, G, Nowsheen, S, Wang, H, Wang, T, Wang, Y, Billheimer, D, Chakravarthy, AB, Brown, M, Haffty, B, Xia, F p53-dependent BRCA1 nuclear export controls cellular susceptibility to DNA damage. Cancer Res, 71(16), 5546-57, 2011.
- Li, X, Dawant, BM, Welch, EB, Chakravarthy, AB, Freehardt, D, Mayer, I, Kelley, M, Meszoely, I, Gore, JC, Yankeelov, TE A nonrigid registration algorithm for longitudinal breast MR images and the analysis of breast tumor response. Magn Reson Imaging, 2009.
- Cuneo, KC, Geng, L, Fu, A, Orton, D, Hallahan, DE, Chakravarthy, AB SU11248 (sunitinib) sensitizes pancreatic cancer to the cytotoxic effects of ionizing radiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 71(3), 873-9, 2008.
- Yankeelov, TE, Lepage, M, Chakravarthy, A, Broome, EE, Niermann, KJ, Kelley, MC, Meszoely, I, Mayer, IA, Herman, CR, McManus, K, Price, RR, Gore, JC Integration of quantitative DCE-MRI and ADC mapping to monitor treatment response in human breast cancer: initial results. Magn Reson Imaging, 25(1), 1-13, 2007.
- Kim, DW, Blanke, CD, Wu, H, Shyr, Y, Berlin, J, Beauchamp, RD, Chakravarthy, B Phase II study of preoperative paclitaxel/cisplatin with radiotherapy in locally advanced esophageal cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 67(2), 397-404, 2007.
- Chakravarthy, AB, Kelley, MC, McLaren, B, Truica, CI, Billheimer, D, Mayer, IA, Grau, AM, Johnson, DH, Simpson, JF, Beauchamp, RD, Jones, C, Pietenpol, JA Neoadjuvant concurrent paclitaxel and radiation in stage II/III breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 12(5), 1570-6, 2006.
- Tedesco, KL, Berlin, J, Rothenberg, M, Choy, H, Wyman, K, Scott Pearson, A, Daniel Beauchamp, R, Merchant, N, Lockhart, AC, Shyr, Y, Caillouette, C, Chakravarthy, B A phase I study of concurrent 9-nitro-20(s)-camptothecin (9NC/Orathecin) and radiation therapy in the treatment of locally advanced adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Radiother Oncol, 76(1), 54-8, 2005.
- Tedesco, KL, Berlin, J, Blanke, CD, Teng, M, Choy, H, Roberts, J, Beauchamp, RD, Leach, S, Wyman, K, Tarpley, J, Shyr, Y, Caillouette, C, Chakravarthy, B Phase I trial of Orzel (UFT plus leucovorin), cisplatin, and radiotherapy in the treatment of potentially resectable esophageal cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 61(5), 1364-70, 2005.
- Chakravarthy, B, Pietenpol, JA Combined modality management of breast cancer: development of predictive markers through proteomics. Semin Oncol, 30(4 Suppl 9), 23-36, 2003.
- Choy, H, Chakravarthy, A, Kim, JS Radiation therapy for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Cancer Treat Res, 105121-48, 2001.
- Hallahan, DE, Qu, S, Geng, L, Cmelak, A, Chakravarthy, A, Martin, W, Scarfone, C, Giorgio, T Radiation-mediated control of drug delivery. Am J Clin Oncol, 24(5), 473-80, 2001.
- Hallahan, DE, Geng, L, Cmelak, AJ, Chakravarthy, AB, Martin, W, Scarfone, C, Gonzalez, A Targeting drug delivery to radiation-induced neoantigens in tumor microvasculature. J Control Release, 74(1-3), 183-91, 2001.
- Chakravarthy, A, Choy H "A Phase I Trial of outpatient Weekly irinotecan/carboplatin and concurrent radiation for Stage III unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer." Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center Affiliate Network Trial, Brief communication, Clinical Lung Cancer , 1(4), 310-311, 2000.
- Chakravarthy, A, Choy, H A phase I trial of outpatient weekly irinotecan/carboplatin and concurrent radiation for stage III unresectable non small-cell lung cancer: a Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center Affiliate Network Trial. Clin Lung Cancer, 1(4), 310-1, 2000.
- Chakravarthy, A, Nicholson B, Kelley M, Beauchamp D, Johnson D, Frexes-Steed M, Simpson J, Shyr Y, Pietenpol J "A pilot study of neoadjuvant paclitaxel and radiation therapy with correlative molecular studies in Stage II/III breast cancer." Clinical Breast Cancer , 1(1), 68-71, 2000.
- Chakravarthy, A, Nicholson, B, Kelley, M, Beauchamp, D, Johnson, D, Frexes-Steed, M, Simpson, J, Shyr, Y, Pietenpol, J A pilot study of neoadjuvant paclitaxel and radiation with correlative molecular studies in stage II/III breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer, 1(1), 68-71, 2000.
- Choy, H, Chakravarthy, A, Devore, RF, Jagasia, M, Hande, KR, Roberts, JR, Johnson, DH, Yunus, F Weekly irinotecan and concurrent radiation therapy for stage III unresectable NSCLC. Oncology (Williston Park), 14(7 Suppl 5), 43-6, 2000.
- Abrams RA, Grochow LB, Chakravarthy A, Sohn TA, Zahurek ML, Haulk TL, Ord S, Hruban RH, Lillemoe KD, Pitt HA, Cameron JL, Yeo CJ "Intensified adjuvant therapy for pancreatic and periampullary adenocarcinoma: survival results and observations regarding patterns of failure, radiotherapy and CA 19-9 levels." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys., 44(5), 151039-46, 1999.
- Choy, H, Chakravarthy, A "Phase I trial of Irinotecan and concurrent radiation therapy for stage III non-small cell lung cancer." Cancer Conference Highlights, 4(6-7), 12, 1999.
- Mignano, J.E., Zahurak, M.L., Chakravarthy, A., Piantadosi, S., Dooley, W.C., Gage,I "Significance of axillary nodal extranodal soft tissue extension and indications for post-mastectomy irradiation." Cancer, 86(7), 1258-62, 1999.
- Chakravarthy, A., Johnson, D., Choy, H "The Role of Radiation with or without Chemotherapy in the management of NSCLC." Oncology, 13: 10 (supp 5)93-100, 1999.
- Chakravarthy, A, Johnson, D, Choy, H The role of radiation, with or without chemotherapy, in the management of NSCLC. Oncology (Williston Park), 13(10 Suppl 5), 93-100, 1999.