Barbara A. Murphy, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Director, Head & Neck Oncology
Program Director, Pain & Symptom Management Program
- Clinical Trials Information
- Clinical Trials: 1-800-811-8480
- Online Self-Referral Form
- Other Telephone NumbersHenry-Joyce Cancer Clinic
615-936-8422 or 1-877-936-8422
- FaxesHenry-Joyce Cancer Clinic Fax
- AddressesHenry-Joyce Cancer Clinic
1301 Medical Center Drive, Suite 1710
Nashville, Tennessee 37232-7415
2220 Pierce Avenue
777 Preston Research Building
Nashville, TN 37232-6307
Dr. Murphy is a medical oncologist who specializes in head and neck cancer as well as in pain and symptom management control. The Head and Neck Oncology Program has achieved national recognition for its expertise in combined modality therapy. Her clinical interests for head and neck cancer include identifying new and more effective treatments.
Read more ....
Dr. Murphy is a medical oncologist who specializes in head and neck cancer as well as in pain and symptom management control. The Head and Neck Oncology Program has achieved national recognition for its expertise in combined modality therapy. Her clinical interests for head and neck cancer include identifying new and more effective treatments. For example, Dr. Murphy studies patients who have been diagnosed with head and neck cancer that has either spread throughout the body (metastasized) or has returned after initial treatment with surgery or radiation (recurred). Although several chemotherapy drugs (anti-cancer medications) are effective in the treatment of metastatic or recurrent head and neck cancer, these agents are unable to provide a cure and are associated with side effects.
Dr. Murphy recently developed a new Pain & Symptom Management Program dedicated to providing our patients with a comprehensive and integrative approach to their health care. Dr. Murphy works with a multidisciplinary team of health care professionals to address specific problems facing cancer patients and their families and to ensure a coordinated plan of care. The program is committed to improving the quality of life of patients and families by helping to identify and resolve physical, emotional and spiritual issues.
- Duke University, B.S., Zoology, 1983
- Bowman-Gray School of Medicine, M.D., 1987
- Internal Medicine Residency, Greenwich Hospital (Yale affiliated), 1987-1990
- Fellow in Medical Oncology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1990-1993
- Chief Fellow, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1991-1992
- Research Fellow, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1992-1993