Charles E. Matthews, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine (General Internal Medicine and Public Health)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
2525 West End Avenue, 6th floor
Nashville, TN 37203-1738
- MÃ¢sse, LC, Fuemmeler, BF, Anderson, CB, Matthews, CE, Trost, SG, Catellier, DJ, Treuth, M Accelerometer data reduction: a comparison of four reduction algorithms on select outcome variables. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 37(11 Suppl), S544-54, 2005.
- Matthews, CE, Ainsworth, BE, Hanby, C, Pate, RR, Addy, C, Freedson, PS, Jones, DA, Macera, CA Development and testing of a short physical activity recall questionnaire. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 37(6), 986-94, 2005.
- Xu, WH, Matthews, CE, Xiang, YB, Zheng, W, Ruan, ZX, Cheng, JR, Gao, YT, Shu, XO Effect of adiposity and fat distribution on endometrial cancer risk in Shanghai women. Am J Epidemiol, 161(10), 939-47, 2005.
- Malin, A, Matthews, CE, Shu, XO, Cai, H, Dai, Q, Jin, F, Gao, YT, Zheng, W Energy balance and breast cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14(6), 1496-501, 2005.
- Matthews, CE, Xu, WH, Zheng, W, Gao, YT, Ruan, ZX, Cheng, JR, Xiang, YB, Shu, XO Physical activity and risk of endometrial cancer: a report from the Shanghai endometrial cancer study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14(4), 779-85, 2005.
- Spindler, KP, Kuhn, JE, Dunn, W, Matthews, CE, Harrell, FE, Dittus, RS Reading and reviewing the orthopaedic literature: a systematic, evidence-based medicine approach. J Am Acad Orthop Surg, 13(4), 220-9, 2005.
- Adams, SA, Matthews, CE, Ebbeling, CB, Moore, CG, Cunningham, JE, Fulton, J, Hebert, JR The effect of social desirability and social approval on self-reports of physical activity. Am J Epidemiol, 161(4), 389-98, 2005.
- Martin, SL, Kirkner, GJ, Mayo, K, Matthews, CE, Durstine, JL, Hebert, JR Urban, rural, and regional variations in physical activity. J Rural Health, 21(3), 239-44, 2005.
- Spindler, KP, Kuhn, JE, Freedman, KB, Matthews, CE, Dittus, RS, Harrell, FE Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction autograft choice: bone-tendon-bone versus hamstring: does it really matter? A systematic review. Am J Sports Med, 32(8), 1986-95, 2004.
- Zhang, X, Shu, XO, Gao, YT, Yang, G, Matthews, CE, Li, Q, Li, H, Jin, F, Zheng, W Anthropometric predictors of coronary heart disease in Chinese women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 28(6), 734-40, 2004.
- Hauret, KG, Bostick, RM, Matthews, CE, Hussey, JR, Fina, MF, Geisinger, KR, Roufail, WM Physical activity and reduced risk of incident sporadic colorectal adenomas: observational support for mechanisms involving energy balance and inflammation modulation. Am J Epidemiol, 159(10), 983-92, 2004.
- Matthews, CE, Fowke, JH, Dai, Q, Leon Bradlow, H, Jin, F, Shu, XO, Gao, YT, Longcope, C, Hebert, JR, Zheng, W Physical activity, body size, and estrogen metabolism in women. Cancer Causes Control, 15(5), 473-81, 2004.
- Ockene, IS, Chiriboga, DE, Stanek, EJ, Harmatz, MG, Nicolosi, R, Saperia, G, Well, AD, Freedson, P, Merriam, PA, Reed, G, Ma, Y, Matthews, CE, Hebert, JR Seasonal variation in serum cholesterol levels: treatment implications and possible mechanisms. Arch Intern Med, 164(8), 863-70, 2004.
- Rawson, ES, Freedson, PS, Osganian, SK, Matthews, CE, Reed, G, Ockene, IS Body mass index, but not physical activity, is associated with C-reactive protein. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 35(7), 1160-6, 2003.
- Matthews, CE, Shu, XO, Yang, G, Jin, F, Ainsworth, BE, Liu, D, Gao, YT, Zheng, W Reproducibility and validity of the Shanghai Women''s Health Study physical activity questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol, 158(11), 1114-22, 2003.
- Tudor-Locke, C, Ainsworth, BE, Thompson, RW, Matthews, CE Comparison of pedometer and accelerometer measures of free-living physical activity. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 34(12), 2045-51, 2002.
- D. Dale, G. Welk, C.E. Matthews "Methods for Assessing Physical Activity and Challenges for Research, In: Physical Activity Assessments for Health-Related Research, G. Welk & D. Dale. Eds." Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL , , 19-34, 2002.
- Matthews, CE, Ockene, IS, Freedson, PS, Rosal, MC, Merriam, PA, Hebert, JR Moderate to vigorous physical activity and risk of upper-respiratory tract infection. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 34(8), 1242-8, 2002.
- Matthews, CE, Ainsworth, BE, Thompson, RW, Bassett, DR Sources of variance in daily physical activity levels as measured by an accelerometer. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 34(8), 1376-81, 2002.
- Hebert, JR, Ebbeling, CB, Matthews, CE, Hurley, TG, MA, Y, Druker, S, Clemow, L Systematic errors in middle-aged women''s estimates of energy intake: comparing three self-report measures to total energy expenditure from doubly labeled water. Ann Epidemiol, 12(8), 577-86, 2002.
- C.E. Matthews "Techniques for Physical Activity Assessment: Self-Report Instruments, In:." Physical Activity Assessments for Health-Related Research, G. Welk & D. Dale. Eds. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL , , 107-124, 2002.
- L. Marrett, B. Theis, F.D "Ashbury, & Expert Panel. Workshop report." Physical activity and cancer prevention. (C. E. Matthews: Expert Panel Member) Chronic Diseases in Canada , 21(4), 143-149, 2001.
- Rosal, MC, Ockene, JK, Ma, Y, Hebert, JR, Merriam, PA, Matthews, CE, Ockene, IS Behavioral risk factors among members of a health maintenance organization. Prev Med, 33(6), 586-94, 2001.
- Matthews, CE, Shu, XO, Jin, F, Dai, Q, Hebert, JR, Ruan, ZX, Gao, YT, Zheng, W Lifetime physical activity and breast cancer risk in the Shanghai Breast Cancer Study. Br J Cancer, 84(7), 994-1001, 2001.
- B. A. Ainsworth & C.E. Matthews "Physical Activity Epidemiology Research, In:." Research Methods in Physical Activity, 4th edition, J. R. Thomas & J. K. Nelson Eds. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL , 291-308, 2001.
- Matthews, CE, Freedson, PS, Hebert, JR, Stanek, EJ, Merriam, PA, Rosal, MC, Ebbeling, CB, Ockene, IS Seasonal variation in household, occupational, and leisure time physical activity: longitudinal analyses from the seasonal variation of blood cholesterol study. Am J Epidemiol, 153(2), 172-83, 2001.
- Matthews, CE, Hebert, JR, Freedson, PS, Stanek , EJ, Merriam, PA, Ebbeling, CB, Ockene, IS Sources of variance in daily physical activity levels in the seasonal variation of blood cholesterol study. Am J Epidemiol, 153(10), 987-95, 2001.
- Ockene, IS, Matthews, CE, Rifai, N, Ridker, PM, Reed, G, Stanek, E Variability and classification accuracy of serial high-sensitivity C-reactive protein measurements in healthy adults. Clin Chem, 47(3), 444-50, 2001.
- Matthews, CE, Freedson, PS, Hebert, JR, Stanek, EJ, Merriam, PA, Ockene, IS Comparing physical activity assessment methods in the Seasonal Variation of Blood Cholesterol Study. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 32(5), 976-84, 2000.
- Hebert JR, Ma Y, Ebbeling CB, Matthews CE, Ockene IS "Self-Report Data: Identifying Sources of Bias to Improve Estimates of Dietary Intake and Intervention Compliance. Proceedings of the American Heart Association’s Scientific Conference on Compliance in Healthcare and Research." Armonk, NY: Futura, , 2000.
- Matthews, CE, Heil, DP, Freedson, PS, Pastides, H Classification of cardiorespiratory fitness without exercise testing. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 31(3), 486-93, 1999.
- Merriam, PA, Ockene, IS, Hebert, JR, Rosal, MC, Matthews, CE Seasonal variation of blood cholesterol levels: study methodology. J Biol Rhythms, 14(4), 330-9, 1999.
- Matthews, CE, Pate, RR, Jackson, KL, Ward, DS, Macera, CA, Kohl, HW, Blair, SN Exaggerated blood pressure response to dynamic exercise and risk of future hypertension. J Clin Epidemiol, 51(1), 29-35, 1998.
- Matthews, CE, Hebert, JR, Ockene, IS, Saperia, G, Merriam, PA Relationship between leisure-time physical activity and selected dietary variables in the Worcester Area Trial for Counseling in Hyperlipidemia. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 29(9), 1199-207, 1997.
- Matthews, CE, Freedson, PS Field trial of a three-dimensional activity monitor: comparison with self report. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 27(7), 1071-8, 1995.
- RR. Pate, C.E. Matthews, B. Alpert, W. Strong, R. Durant "Systolic blood pressure response to exercise in black and white preadolescent and early adolescent boys." Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine , 148: 1027-1031, 1994.