Conor Lynch, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
736 Preston Research Building, 23rd & Pierce Avenue
Nashville , TN 37232-6840
My research interests are primarily involved with understanding how breast and prostate to bone metastases induce extensive bone sunthesis and destruction. Breast and prostate cancers are of great prevalence in the US and each year claim many thousands of lives. In 2010 the American Cancer Society predicts that there will be 214,640 new cases of breast cancer and 234,460 cases of prostate cancer (www.cancer.org). Despite medical advances, unfortunately, approximately 65,000 men and women will succumb to these diseases. Death from cancer typically occurs from metastasis and a common metastatic site for breast and prostate cancer is the bone. Over 80% of patients who die from these diseases have evidence of bone metastasis. Breast and prostate bone metastases are notorious for the intense debilitating pain that they cause and as a consequence these diseases dramatically affect the patient's quality of life. It is clear that more treatments are required for these diseases but understanding how the metastatic cancer cells induce these changes in the bone is key for the development of new therapies.
- Fingleton, B, Lynch, CC A new dress code for MMPs: cleavage optional. Dev Cell, 18(1), 3-4, 2010.
- Bruni-Cardoso, A, Johnson, LC, Vessella, RL, Peterson, TE, Lynch, CC Osteoclast-derived matrix metalloproteinase-9 directly affects angiogenesis in the prostate tumor-bone microenvironment. Mol Cancer Res, 8(4), 459-70, 2010.
- Min, Y, Ren, X, Vaught, DB, Chen, J, Donnelly, E, Lynch, CC, Lin, PC Tie2 signaling regulates osteoclastogenesis and osteolytic bone invasion of breast cancer. Cancer Res, 70(7), 2819-28, 2010.
- Fowler, JA, Mundy, GR, Lwin, ST, Lynch, CC, Edwards, CM A murine model of myeloma that allows genetic manipulation of the host microenvironment. Dis Model Mech, 2(11-12), 604-11, 2009.
- Thiolloy, S, Halpern, J, Holt, GE, Schwartz, HS, Mundy, GR, Matrisian, LM, Lynch, CC Osteoclast-derived matrix metalloproteinase-7, but not matrix metalloproteinase-9, contributes to tumor-induced osteolysis. Cancer Res, 69(16), 6747-55, 2009.
- Martin, MD, Carter, KJ, Jean-Philippe, SR, Chang, M, Mobashery, S, Thiolloy, S, Lynch, CC, Matrisian, LM, Fingleton, B Effect of ablation or inhibition of stromal matrix metalloproteinase-9 on lung metastasis in a breast cancer model is dependent on genetic background. Cancer Res, 68(15), 6251-9, 2008.
- Martin, MD, Fingleton, B, Lynch, CC, Wells, S, McIntyre, JO, Piston, DW, Matrisian, LM Establishment and quantitative imaging of a 3D lung organotypic model of mammary tumor outgrowth. Clin Exp Metastasis, 25(8), 877-85, 2008.
- Holt, GE, Halpern, JL, Lynch, CC, Devin, CJ, Schwartz, HS Imaging analysis of the in vivo bioreactor: a preliminary study. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 466(8), 1890-6, 2008.
- Welch, DR, Cooper, CR, Hurst, DR, Lynch, CC, Martin, MD, Vaidya, KS, VanSaun, MN, Mastro, AM Metastasis Research Society-American Association For Cancer Research Joint Conference on Metastasis. Cancer Res, 68(23), 9578-82, 2008.
- Lynch, CC, Vargo-Gogola, T, Martin, MD, Fingleton, B, Crawford, HC, Matrisian, LM Matrix metalloproteinase 7 mediates mammary epithelial cell tumorigenesis through the ErbB4 receptor. Cancer Res, 67(14), 6760-7, 2007.
- Halpern, J, Lynch, CC, Fleming, J, Hamming, D, Martin, MD, Schwartz, HS, Matrisian, LM, Holt, GE The application of a murine bone bioreactor as a model of tumor: bone interaction. Clin Exp Metastasis, 23(7-8), 345-56, 2006.
- Lynch, CC, Hikosaka, A, Acuff, HB, Martin, MD, Kawai, N, Singh, RK, Vargo-Gogola, TC, Begtrup, JL, Peterson, TE, Fingleton, B, Shirai, T, Matrisian, LM, Futakuchi, M MMP-7 promotes prostate cancer-induced osteolysis via the solubilization of RANKL. Cancer Cell, 7(5), 485-96, 2005.
- McIntyre, JO, Fingleton, B, Wells, KS, Piston, DW, Lynch, CC, Gautam, S, Matrisian, LM Development of a novel fluorogenic proteolytic beacon for in vivo detection and imaging of tumour-associated matrix metalloproteinase-7 activity. Biochem J, 377(Pt 3), 617-28, 2004.
- Lynch, CC, Crawford, HC, Matrisian, LM, McDonnell, S Epidermal growth factor upregulates matrix metalloproteinase-7 expression through activation of PEA3 transcription factors. Int J Oncol, 24(6), 1565-72, 2004.
- Harmey, JH, Bucana, CD, Lu, W, Byrne, AM, McDonnell, S, Lynch, C, Bouchier-Hayes, D, Dong, Z Lipopolysaccharide-induced metastatic growth is associated with increased angiogenesis, vascular permeability and tumor cell invasion. Int J Cancer, 101(5), 415-22, 2002.
- Lynch, CC, Matrisian, LM Matrix metalloproteinases in tumor-host cell communication. Differentiation, 70(9-10), 561-73, 2002.
- Lynch, CC, McDonnell, S The role of matrilysin (MMP-7) in leukaemia cell invasion. Clin Exp Metastasis, 18(5), 401-6, 2000.