Consuelo H. Wilkins, M.D., M.S.C.I
Executive Director, Meharry-Vanderbilt Alliance
Associate Professor of Medicine
Biomedical Sciences Building
1005 Dr. D.B. Todd, Jr., Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37208
I currently serve as the Executive Director of the Meharry-Vanderbilt Alliance, a strategic partnership between Meharry Medical College and Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Among my responsibilities in the Alliance, I develop and support collaborative initiatives and programs in biomedical research and clinical science training.
I currently serve as the Executive Director of the Meharry-Vanderbilt Alliance, a strategic partnership between Meharry Medical College and Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Among my responsibilities in the Alliance, I develop and support collaborative initiatives and programs in biomedical research and clinical science training. In addition to my position in the Alliance, I am an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of General Internal Medicine and Public Health at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and have a joint appointment as Associate Professor of Medicine at Meharry Medical College. I am also Co-Director of the Meharry-Vanderbilt Community-Engaged Research Core (CTSA). My research experience comprises a spectrum of clinical and translational studies including clinical trials, secondary data analyses and community-engaged research. I have substantial experience in engaging non-research stakeholders including groups often underrepresented in research. Since 2012, I have co-chaired the Community Partners Integration Workgroup of the CTSA Consortium's Community Engagement Key Function Committee. This workgroup has led to several initiatives including a Consortium-wide inventory of community members involvement in CTSA activities. Prior to my current position, I was an Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, with secondary appointments in Psychiatry and Surgery (Public Health Sciences) at Washington University School of Medicine. I served as Founding Director of the Center for Community Health and Partnerships in Institute for Public Health, co-director of the Center for Community Engaged Research in the CTSA, director of the Community Outreach Program in the Nutrition Obesity Research Center, and director of "Our Community, Our Health" - a collaborative program with Saint Louis University to disseminate culturally relevant health information and facilitate community-academic partnerships to address health disparities.
- Howard University College of Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center - Residency Training
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital - Geriatric Medicine Fellowship
- Washington University, St. Louis - Clinical Investigation
- Wilkins CH, Spofford M, Williams N, McKeever C, Allen S, Brown J, Opp J, Richmond A, Strelnick AH, . Community representatives' involvement in Clinical and Translational Science Awardee activities. Clin Transl Sci [print-electronic]. 2013 Aug; 6(4): 292-6. PMID: 23919364, PMCID: PMC3884765, DOI: 10.1111/cts.12072, ISSN: 1752-8062.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23919364.
- Wilkins CH, Roe CM, Morris JC, Galvin JE. Mild physical impairment predicts future diagnosis of dementia of the Alzheimer's type. J Am Geriatr Soc [print-electronic]. 2013 Jul; 61(7): 1055-9. PMID: 23647233, PMCID: PMC3809089, DOI: 10.1111/jgs.12255, ISSN: 1532-5415.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23647233.
- Sheline YI, Disabato BM, Hranilovich J, Morris C, D'Angelo G, Pieper C, Toffanin T, Taylor WD, MacFall JR, Wilkins C, Barch DM, Welsh-Bohmer KA, Steffens DC, Krishnan RR, Doraiswamy PM. Treatment course with antidepressant therapy in late-life depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2012 Nov; 169(11): 1185-93. PMID: 23534057, PMCID: PMC3752387, DOI: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2012.12010122, ISSN: 1535-7228.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23534057.
- Barch DM, D'Angelo G, Pieper C, Wilkins CH, Welsh-Bohmer K, Taylor W, Garcia KS, Gersing K, Doraiswamy PM, Sheline YI. Cognitive improvement following treatment in late-life depression: relationship to vascular risk and age of onset. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2012 Aug; 20(8): 682-90. PMID: 22430020, PMCID: PMC3382028, DOI: 10.1097/JGP.0b013e318246b6cb, ISSN: 1545-7214.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22430020.
- Wilkins CH. Communicating results of community-based participatory research. Virtual Mentor. 2011; 13(2): 81-5. PMID: 23121844, PII: virtualmentor.2011.13.2.ccas1-1102, DOI: 10.1001/virtualmentor.2011.13.2.ccas1-1102, ISSN: 1937-7010.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23121844.
- Sheline YI, Pieper CF, Barch DM, Welsh-Bohmer K, McKinstry RC, MacFall JR, D'Angelo G, Garcia KS, Gersing K, Wilkins C, Taylor W, Steffens DC, Krishnan RR, Doraiswamy PM. Support for the vascular depression hypothesis in late-life depression: results of a 2-site, prospective, antidepressant treatment trial. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 2010 Mar; 67(3): 277-85. PMID: 20194828, PMCID: PMC2838210, PII: 67/3/277, DOI: 10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2009.204, ISSN: 1538-3636.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20194828.
- Wilkins CH, Roe CM, Morris JC. A brief clinical tool to assess physical function: the mini-physical performance test. Arch Gerontol Geriatr [print-electronic]. 2010 Jan; 50(1): 96-100. PMID: 19282039, PMCID: PMC2787987, PII: S0167-4943(09)00045-4, DOI: 10.1016/j.archger.2009.02.006, ISSN: 1872-6976.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19282039.
- Wilkins CH, Birge SJ, Sheline YI, Morris JC. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with worse cognitive performance and lower bone density in older African Americans. J Natl Med Assoc. 2009 Apr; 101(4): 349-54. PMID: 19397226, PMCID: PMC2801439, ISSN: 1943-4693.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19397226.
- Wilkins CH, Mathews J, Sheline YI. Late life depression with cognitive impairment: evaluation and treatment. Clin Interv Aging [print-electronic]. 2009; 4: 51-7. PMID: 19503765, PMCID: PMC2685224, ISSN: 1178-1998.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19503765.
- Sheline YI, Price JL, Vaishnavi SN, Mintun MA, Barch DM, Epstein AA, Wilkins CH, Snyder AZ, Couture L, Schechtman K, McKinstry RC. Regional white matter hyperintensity burden in automated segmentation distinguishes late-life depressed subjects from comparison subjects matched for vascular risk factors. Am J Psychiatry [print-electronic]. 2008 Apr; 165(4): 524-32. PMID: 18281408, PMCID: PMC4118770, PII: appi.ajp.2007.07010175, DOI: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2007.07010175, ISSN: 0002-953X.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18281408.
- Wilkins CH, Wilkins KL, Meisel M, Depke M, Williams J, Edwards DF. Dementia undiagnosed in poor older adults with functional impairment. J Am Geriatr Soc [print-electronic]. 2007 Nov; 55(11): 1771-6. PMID: 17916120, PII: JGS1417, DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01417.x, ISSN: 1532-5415.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17916120.
- Wilkins CH. Osteoporosis screening and risk management. Clin Interv Aging. 2007; 2(3): 389-94. PMID: 18044189, PMCID: PMC2685263, ISSN: 1176-9092.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18044189.
- Wilkins CH, Sheline YI, Roe CM, Birge SJ, Morris JC. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with low mood and worse cognitive performance in older adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006 Dec; 14(12): 1032-40. PMID: 17138809, PII: 14/12/1032, DOI: 10.1097/01.JGP.0000240986.74642.7c, ISSN: 1064-7481.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17138809.
- Johnson DK, Wilkins CH, Morris JC. Accelerated weight loss may precede diagnosis in Alzheimer disease. Arch. Neurol. 2006 Sep; 63(9): 1312-7. PMID: 16966511, PII: 63/9/1312, DOI: 10.1001/archneur.63.9.1312, ISSN: 0003-9942.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16966511.
- Wilkins CH, Grant EA, Schmitt SE, McKeel DW, Morris JC. The neuropathology of Alzheimer disease in African American and white individuals. Arch. Neurol. 2006 Jan; 63(1): 87-90. PMID: 16401740, PII: 63/1/87, DOI: 10.1001/archneur.63.1.87, ISSN: 0003-9942.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16401740.
- Wilkins CH, Birge SJ. Prevention of osteoporotic fractures in the elderly. Am. J. Med. 2005 Nov; 118(11): 1190-5. PMID: 16271899, PII: S0002-9343(05)00519-X, DOI: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2005.06.046, ISSN: 1555-7162.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16271899.
- Sheline YI, Mintun MA, Barch DM, Wilkins C, Snyder AZ, Moerlein SM. Decreased hippocampal 5-HT(2A) receptor binding in older depressed patients using [18F]altanserin positron emission tomography. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2004 Dec; 29(12): 2235-41. PMID: 15367923, PII: 1300555, DOI: 10.1038/sj.npp.1300555, ISSN: 0893-133X.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15367923.
- Wilkins CH, Goldfeder JS. Osteoporosis screening is unjustifiably low in older African-American women. J Natl Med Assoc. 2004 Apr; 96(4): 461-7. PMID: 15101666, PMCID: PMC2595016, ISSN: 1943-4693.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15101666.