Consuelo H. Wilkins, M.D., M.S.C.I
Executive Director, Meharry-Vanderbilt Alliance
Associate Professor of Medicine
Biomedical Sciences Building
1005 Dr. D.B. Todd, Jr., Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37208
I currently serve as the Executive Director of the Meharry-Vanderbilt Alliance, a strategic partnership between Meharry Medical College and Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Among my responsibilities in the Alliance, I develop and support collaborative initiatives and programs in biomedical research and clinical science training.
I currently serve as the Executive Director of the Meharry-Vanderbilt Alliance, a strategic partnership between Meharry Medical College and Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Among my responsibilities in the Alliance, I develop and support collaborative initiatives and programs in biomedical research and clinical science training. In addition to my position in the Alliance, I am an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of General Internal Medicine and Public Health at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and have a joint appointment as Associate Professor of Medicine at Meharry Medical College. I am also Co-Director of the Meharry-Vanderbilt Community-Engaged Research Core (CTSA). My research experience comprises a spectrum of clinical and translational studies including clinical trials, secondary data analyses and community-engaged research. I have substantial experience in engaging non-research stakeholders including groups often underrepresented in research. Since 2012, I have co-chaired the Community Partners Integration Workgroup of the CTSA Consortium's Community Engagement Key Function Committee. This workgroup has led to several initiatives including a Consortium-wide inventory of community members involvement in CTSA activities. Prior to my current position, I was an Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, with secondary appointments in Psychiatry and Surgery (Public Health Sciences) at Washington University School of Medicine. I served as Founding Director of the Center for Community Health and Partnerships in Institute for Public Health, co-director of the Center for Community Engaged Research in the CTSA, director of the Community Outreach Program in the Nutrition Obesity Research Center, and director of "Our Community, Our Health" - a collaborative program with Saint Louis University to disseminate culturally relevant health information and facilitate community-academic partnerships to address health disparities.
- Howard University College of Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center - Residency Training
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital - Geriatric Medicine Fellowship
- Washington University, St. Louis - Clinical Investigation
- Wilkins, CH, Spofford, M, Williams, N, McKeever, C, Allen, S, Brown, J, Opp, J, Richmond, A, Strelnick, AH, , Community representatives'' involvement in Clinical and Translational Science Awardee activities. Clin Transl Sci, 6(4), 292-6, 2013.
- Wilkins, CH, Roe, CM, Morris, JC, Galvin, JE Mild physical impairment predicts future diagnosis of dementia of the Alzheimer''s type. J Am Geriatr Soc, 61(7), 1055-9, 2013.
- Barch, DM, D¿¿Angelo, G, Pieper, C, Wilkins, CH, Welsh-Bohmer, K, Taylor, W, Garcia, KS, Gersing, K, Doraiswamy, PM, Sheline, YI Cognitive improvement following treatment in late-life depression: relationship to vascular risk and age of onset. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry, 20(8), 682-90, 2012.
- Sheline, YI, Disabato, BM, Hranilovich, J, Morris, C, D''Angelo, G, Pieper, C, Toffanin, T, Taylor, WD, MacFall, JR, Wilkins, C, Barch, DM, Welsh-Bohmer, KA, Steffens, DC, Krishnan, RR, Doraiswamy, PM Treatment course with antidepressant therapy in late-life depression. Am J Psychiatry, 169(11), 1185-93, 2012.
- Wilkins, CH Communicating results of community-based participatory research. Virtual Mentor, 13(2), 81-5, 2011.
- Sheline, YI, Pieper, CF, Barch, DM, Welsh-Bohmer, K, Welsh-Boehmer, K, McKinstry, RC, MacFall, JR, D''Angelo, G, Garcia, KS, Gersing, K, Wilkins, C, Taylor, W, Steffens, DC, Krishnan, RR, Doraiswamy, PM Support for the vascular depression hypothesis in late-life depression: results of a 2-site, prospective, antidepressant treatment trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 67(3), 277-85, 2010.
- Wilkins, CH, Mathews, J, Sheline, YI Late life depression with cognitive impairment: evaluation and treatment. Clin Interv Aging, 451-7, 2009.
- Wilkins, CH, Birge, SJ, Sheline, YI, Morris, JC Vitamin D deficiency is associated with worse cognitive performance and lower bone density in older African Americans. J Natl Med Assoc, 101(4), 349-54, 2009.
- Wilkins, CH, Roe, CM, Morris, JC A brief clinical tool to assess physical function: the mini-physical performance test. Arch Gerontol Geriatr, 50(1), 96-100, 2008.
- Sheline, YI, Price, JL, Vaishnavi, SN, Mintun, MA, Barch, DM, Epstein, AA, Wilkins, CH, Snyder, AZ, Couture, L, Schechtman, K, McKinstry, RC Regional white matter hyperintensity burden in automated segmentation distinguishes late-life depressed subjects from comparison subjects matched for vascular risk factors. Am J Psychiatry, 165(4), 524-32, 2008.
- Wilkins, CH, Wilkins, KL, Meisel, M, Depke, M, Williams, J, Edwards, DF Dementia undiagnosed in poor older adults with functional impairment. J Am Geriatr Soc, 55(11), 1771-6, 2007.
- Wilkins, CH Osteoporosis screening and risk management. Clin Interv Aging, 2(3), 389-94, 2007.
- Johnson, DK, Wilkins, CH, Morris, JC Accelerated weight loss may precede diagnosis in Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol, 63(9), 1312-7, 2006.
- Wilkins, CH, Grant, EA, Schmitt, SE, McKeel, DW, Morris, JC The neuropathology of Alzheimer disease in African American and white individuals. Arch Neurol, 63(1), 87-90, 2006.
- Wilkins, CH, Sheline, YI, Roe, CM, Birge, SJ, Morris, JC Vitamin D deficiency is associated with low mood and worse cognitive performance in older adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry, 14(12), 1032-40, 2006.
- Wilkins, CH, Birge, SJ Prevention of osteoporotic fractures in the elderly. Am J Med, 118(11), 1190-5, 2005.
- Sheline, YI, Mintun, MA, Barch, DM, Wilkins, C, Snyder, AZ, Moerlein, SM Decreased hippocampal 5-HT(2A) receptor binding in older depressed patients using [18F]altanserin positron emission tomography. Neuropsychopharmacology, 29(12), 2235-41, 2004.
- Wilkins, CH, Goldfeder, JS Osteoporosis screening is unjustifiably low in older African-American women. J Natl Med Assoc, 96(4), 461-7, 2004.