Derek M. Griffith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine, Health and Society
Associate Professor of General Internal Medicine and Public Health
Associate Professor of Health Policy
Associate Professor of Sociology
2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37235-1665
I develop and test theories and interventions that seek to improve men's ability to prevent and control cancer. I am particularly interested in using family-based interventions and technology (e.g., mobile phones) to deliver tailored interventions to men that promote healthy eating, physical activity and informed decision-making about prostate cancer screening and treatment.
Read more ....
I develop and test theories and interventions that seek to improve men's ability to prevent and control cancer. I am particularly interested in using family-based interventions and technology (e.g., mobile phones) to deliver tailored interventions to men that promote healthy eating, physical activity and informed decision-making about prostate cancer screening and treatment. My qualitative and intervention research has focused primarily on African American men in urban areas though I am interested in working with other groups of men and in rural and suburban settings as well. I also conduct secondary analyses of large regional and national datasets to explore the factors that influence cancer risk behaviors, cancer morbidities and cancer mortality. I recently completed a study where I was the Principal Investigator of a five-year, American Cancer Society Mentored Research Scholar Grant, and I am finishing an NIMHD-funded comparative effectiveness study examining the effects of physical activity interventions on black and Latino men. Currently, I am transferring an R21 grant funded by NIDDK to develop a bank of tailored messages to be used in an intervention to promote healthier eating and physical activity among African American men 35-74.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - University of North Carolina
- MA and PhD - DePaul University
- Predoctoral Fellowship - Yale University
- BA - University of Maryland at College Park
- Williams, TT, Dodd, D, Campbell, B, Pichon, LC, Griffith, DM Discussing adolescent sexual health in African-American churches. J Relig Health, 53(2), 339-51, 2014.
- Martin, LA, Neighbors, HW, Griffith, DM In reply. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(3), 337-8, 2014.
- Griffith, DM, Allen, JO, Johnson-Lawrence, V, Langford, A Men on the move: a pilot program to increase physical activity among African American men. Health Educ Behav, 41(2), 164-72, 2014.
- Griffith, DM, Wooley, AM, Allen, JO "I''m ready to eat and grab whatever I can get": Determinants and patterns of African American men''s eating practices. Health Promot Pract, 14(2), 181-8, 2013.
- Allen, JO, Griffith, DM, Gaines, HC "She looks out for the meals, period": African American men''s perceptions of how their wives influence their eating behavior and dietary health. Health Psychol, 32(4), 447-55, 2013.
- Griffith, DM, Ellis, KR, Allen, JO An intersectional approach to social determinants of stress for African American men: men''s and women''s perspectives. Am J Mens Health, 7(4 Suppl), 19S-30S, 2013.
- Knittel, AK, Snow, RC, Griffith, DM, Morenoff, J Incarceration and sexual risk: examining the relationship between men''s involvement in the criminal justice system and risky sexual behavior. AIDS Behav, 17(8), 2703-14, 2013.
- Griffith, DM, King, A, Ober Allen, J Male peer influence on African American men''s motivation for physical activity: men''s and women''s perspectives. Am J Mens Health, 7(2), 169-78, 2013.
- Bruce, MA, Beech, BM, Crook, ED, Sims, M, Griffith, DM, Simpson, SL, Ard, J, Norris, KC Sex, weight status, and chronic kidney disease among African Americans: the Jackson Heart Study. J Investig Med, 61(4), 701-7, 2013.
- Johnson-Lawrence, V, Griffith, DM, Watkins, DC The effects of race, ethnicity, and mood/anxiety disorders on the chronic physical health conditions of men from a national sample. Am J Mens Health, 7(4 Suppl), 58S-67S, 2013.
- Martin, LA, Neighbors, HW, Griffith, DM The experience of symptoms of depression in men vs women: analysis of the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. JAMA Psychiatry, 70(10), 1100-6, 2013.
- Jack, L, Griffith, DM The health of African American men: implications for research and practice. Am J Mens Health, 7(4 Suppl), 5S-7S, 2013.
- Pichon, LC, Griffith, DM, Campbell, B, Allen, JO, Williams, TT, Addo, AY Faith leaders'' comfort implementing an HIV prevention curriculum in a faith setting. J Health Care Poor Underserved, 23(3), 1253-65, 2012.
- Griffith, DM, Gunter, K, Watkins, DC Measuring masculinity in research on men of color: findings and future directions. Am J Public Health, 102 Suppl 2S187-94, 2012.