E. Duco Jansen, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
5824 Science & Engineering Bldg., Box 79 Sta B
Nashville, TN 37232
Dr. Jansen joined the faculty of the Biomedical Engineering Department in January of 1997 and is currently in the process of building up a Biomedical Optics research and educational program. He has been working in the area of laser-tissue interaction and biomedical optics and specifically on pulsed laser ablation of biological tissue for the last eight years. Dr. Jansen?s research effort is split between research related to the Vanderbilt Free Electron Laser (FEL) and Biomedical Optics in the BME Department. The research at the FEL is centered around the implementation of a beam transport and delivery system to allow safe and convenient use by physicians for human clinical care (i.e. tissue removal or ablation). The research program that will be implemented in the Biomedical Engineering Department will include both therapeutic and diagnostic applications of lasers and light in medicine. The BME Department has designated Biomedical Optics as one of the main focus areas of research and a second faculty member in this area will join the department this fall ('98). Starting in the summer of 1997, approximately 2000 ft2 of lab space will become available which is dedicated to the Biomedical Optics research area. Research in the therapeutic area will be focused on 1) clinical applications of lasers and 2) the biological response on a cellular and subcellular level to laser-induced stimuli such as thermal effects, compressive and tensile stresses and shockwaves. In the diagnostic area we will use optical spectroscopic techniques such as fluorescence and near-IR Raman spectroscopy for non-invasive diagnosis of tissue. It is anticipated that most of these projects will develop in strong collaboration with medical faculty.
Current Projects Include:
1. Design, development, and implementation of a beam delivery system in order to facilitate human clinical care with the Vanderbilt Free Electron Laser.
2. Cellular response to laser-induced insult of biological tissues.
3. Mechanisms of pulsed laser-tissue interaction, correlating tissue effects to physical, laser-induced stimuli.
4. Transmyocardial Laser Revascularization (TMR).
5. Development optical tools for use in cellular and molecular biology.
- Lin WC, Mahadevan-Jansen A, Toms SA, Jansen ED "Identification of human tissue using optical spectroscopy." US patent #6377841, .
- Mahadevan-Jansen A, Wells JD, Konrad P, Kao C, Jansen ED "Methods and device for optical stimulation of neural tissues." US patent # 6921413, .
- Mahadevan-Jansen A, Wells JD, Jansen ED, Konrad PE, Kao C "Systems and methods for optical stimulation of neural tissues." pending - US Patent application # 20050216072, .
- Faley, SL, Takahashi, K, Crooke, CE, Beckham, JT, Tomemori, T, Shappell, SB, Jansen, ED, Takahashi, T Bioluminescence imaging of vascular endothelial growth factor promoter activity in murine mammary tumorigenesis. Mol Imaging, 6(5), 331-9, 2007.
- Wells, J, Kao, C, Konrad, P, Milner, T, Kim, J, Mahadevan-Jansen, A, Jansen, ED Biophysical mechanisms of transient optical stimulation of peripheral nerve. Biophys J, 93(7), 2567-80, 2007.
- Toms SA, Lin WC, Weil R, Johnson MD, Jansen ED, Mahadevan-Jansen A "Intraoperative optical spectroscopy identifies infiltrating glioma margins with high sensitivity." Neurosurgery, 61(1), 327-35, 2007.
- Mackanos, MA, Simanovskii, D, Joos, KM, Schwettman, HA, Jansen, ED Mid infrared optical parametric oscillator (OPO) as a viable alternative to tissue ablation with the free electron laser (FEL). Lasers Surg Med, 39(3), 230-6, 2007.
- Wells, JD, Thomsen, S, Whitaker, P, Jansen, ED, Kao, CC, Konrad, PE, Mahadevan-Jansen, A Optically mediated nerve stimulation: Identification of injury thresholds. Lasers Surg Med, 39(6), 513-26, 2007.
- Wells, J, Konrad, P, Kao, C, Jansen, ED, Mahadevan-Jansen, A Pulsed laser versus electrical energy for peripheral nerve stimulation. J Neurosci Methods, 163(2), 326-37, 2007.
- Virostko, J, Powers, AC, Jansen, ED Validation of luminescent source reconstruction using single-view spectrally resolved bioluminescence images. Appl Opt, 46(13), 2540-7, 2007.
- Roth, DJ, Jansen, ED, Powers, AC, Wang, TG A novel method of monitoring response to islet transplantation: bioluminescent imaging of an NF-kB transgenic mouse model. Transplantation, 81(8), 1185-90, 2006.
- Wells, J, Kao, C, Jansen, ED, Konrad, P, Mahadevan-Jansen, A Application of infrared light for in vivo neural stimulation. J Biomed Opt, 10(6), 064003, 2006.
- Wilmink, GJ, Opalenik, SR, Beckham, JT, Davidson, JM, Jansen, ED Assessing laser-tissue damage with bioluminescent imaging. J Biomed Opt, 11(4), 041114, 2006.
- Virostko, J, Jansen, ED, Powers, AC Current status of imaging pancreatic islets. Curr Diab Rep, 6(4), 328-32, 2006.
- Jansen, ED, Pickett, PM, Mackanos, MA, Virostko, J Effect of optical tissue clearing on spatial resolution and sensitivity of bioluminescence imaging. J Biomed Opt, 11(4), 041119, 2006.
- Izzo AD, Richter CP, Jansen ED, Walsh JT "Laser Stimulation of the Auditory Nerve." Lasers Surg Med, 38(7), 745-53, 2006.
- Wells JD, Mahadevan-Jansen A, Bendett M, Webb J, Ralph H, Kao C, Konrad P, Jansen ED "Lasers stimulate new techniques in nerve studies." Biophotonics, 13(10), 30-35, 2006.
- Jansen ED, Rastegar S "Pioneers in Biomedical Optics: Special Section Honoring Professor Ashley J. Welch, University of Texas at Austin." J Biomed Optics, 11041101, 2006.
- Moulton K, Lovell F, Williams E, Ryan P, Lay DC, Jansen ED, Willard S "Use of glycerol as an optical clearing agent for enhancing photonic transference and detection of Salmonella typhimurium through porcine skin." J Biomed Optics, 11(5), 05427, 2006.
- Fowler, M, Virostko, J, Chen, Z, Poffenberger, G, Radhika, A, Brissova, M, Shiota, M, Nicholson, WE, Shi, Y, Hirshberg, B, Harlan, DM, Jansen, ED, Powers, AC Assessment of pancreatic islet mass after islet transplantation using in vivo bioluminescence imaging. Transplantation, 79(7), 768-76, 2005.
- Gebhart, SC, Jansen, ED, Galloway, RL Dynamic, three-dimensional optical tracking of an ablative laser beam. Med Phys, 32(1), 209-20, 2005.
- Toms SA, Lin WC, Weil RJ, Johnson MD, Jansen ED, Mahadevan-Jansen A "Intraoperative optical spectroscopy identifies infiltrating glioma margins with high sensitivity." Neurosurgery, 57(4), 382-91, 2005.
- Patil C, Jansen ED "Novel optical technologies to aid diagnosis and guide therapy in colorectal medicine." Sem in Colon Rectal Surgery, 16(2), 82-90, 2005.
- Wells, J, Kao, C, Mariappan, K, Albea, J, Jansen, ED, Konrad, P, Mahadevan-Jansen, A Optical stimulation of neural tissue in vivo. Opt Lett, 30(5), 504-6, 2005.
- Teichman JM, Glickman RD, Chan KF, Jansen ED, Welch AJ "Plasma bubble formation induced by holmium laser." Urology, 65(3), 627-8, 2005.
- Mackanos, MA, Kozub, JA, Jansen, ED The effect of free-electron laser pulse structure on mid-infrared soft-tissue ablation: ablation metrics. Phys Med Biol, 50(8), 1871-83, 2005.
- Mackanos, MA, Kozub, JA, Hachey, DL, Joos, KM, Ellis, DL, Jansen, ED The effect of free-electron laser pulse structure on mid-infrared soft-tissue ablation: biological effects. Phys Med Biol, 50(8), 1885-99, 2005.
- O’Connell-Rodwell CE, Shriver D, Simanovskii DM, McClure C, Cao Y, Zhang W, Bachmann MH, Beckham JT, Jansen ED, Palanker D, Schwettman HA, Contag CH "A genetic reporter of thermal stress defines physiologic zones over a defined temperature range." FASEB Journal, 18264-271, 2004.
- Beckham, Joshua T, Mackanos, Mark A, Crooke, Cornelia, Takahashi, Takamune, O'Connell-Rodwell, Caitlin, Contag, Christopher H, Jansen, E Duco Assessment of cellular response to thermal laser injury through bioluminescence imaging of heat shock protein 70. Photochem Photobiol, 79(1), 76-85, 2004.
- Virostko, J, Chen, Z, Fowler, M, Poffenberger, G, Powers, AC, Jansen, ED Factors influencing quantification of in vivo bioluminescence imaging: application to assessment of pancreatic islet transplants. Mol Imaging, 3(4), 333-42, 2004.
- Powers AC, Jansen ED "In Vivo Bioluminescence Imaging to Assess Pancreatic Islets." Curr Med Chem, 4(4), 339-48, 2004.
- Sadikot, Ruxana T, Zeng, Heng, Yull, Fiona E, Li, Bo, Cheng, Dong-sheng, Kernodle, Douglas S, Jansen, E Duco, Contag, Christopher H, Segal, Brahm H, Holland, Steven M, Blackwell, Timothy S, Christman, John W p47(phox) deficiency impairs NF-kappaB activation and host defense in Pseudomonas pneumonia. J Immunol, 172(3), 1801-8, 2004.
- Choi B, Jansen ED, Welch AJ "Acoustic-based measurements of material absorption coefficients: Relationship between laser pulse duration and stress confinement time." J Appl Phys, 94(12), 7826-31, 2003.
- Yull, Fiona E, Han, Wei, Jansen, E Duco, Everhart, M Brett, Sadikot, Ruxana T, Christman, John W, Blackwell, Timothy S Bioluminescent detection of endotoxin effects on HIV-1 LTR-driven transcription in vivo. J Histochem Cytochem, 51(6), 741-9, 2003.
- Wu, Nanjun, Jansen, E Duco, Davidson, Jeffrey M Comparison of mouse matrix metalloproteinase 13 expression in free-electron laser and scalpel incisions during wound healing. J Invest Dermatol, 121(4), 926-32, 2003.
- Mackanos, Mark A, Jansen, E Duco, Shaw, Brandon L, Sanghera, Jas S, Aggarwal, Ishwar, Katzir, Abraham Delivery of midinfrared (6 to 7-microm) laser radiation in a liquid environment using infrared-transmitting optical fibers. J Biomed Opt, 8(4), 583-93, 2003.
- Wu, L, Nicholson, W, Wu, CY, Xu, M, McGaha, A, Shiota, M, Powers, AC Engineering physiologically regulated insulin secretion in non-beta cells by expressing glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor. Gene Ther, 10(19), 1712-20, 2003.
- Edwards GS, Austin RH, Carroll FE, Copeland ML, Couprie ME, Gabella WE, Haglund RF, Hooper BA, Hutson MS, Jansen ED, Joos KM, Kiehart DP, Lindau I, Miao J, Pratisto HS, Shen JH, Tokutake Y, van der Meer L, Xie A "FEL-based biophysical and biomedical instrumentation (invited review paper)." Rev Sci Instr, 74(7), 3207-45, 2003.
- Viehoever AR, Anderson D, Jansen ED, Mahadevan-Jansen A "Organotypic raft cultures as an effective tool for understanding Raman spectral analysis of tissue." Photochemistry and Photobiology, 78(5), 517-24, 2003.
- Sadikot, Ruxana T, Han, Wei, Everhart, M Brett, Zoia, Ornella, Peebles, R Stokes, Jansen, E Duco, Yull, Fiona E, Christman, John W, Blackwell, Timothy S Selective I kappa B kinase expression in airway epithelium generates neutrophilic lung inflammation. J Immunol, 170(2), 1091-8, 2003.
- Gray, Keith D, Simovic, Misho O, Chapman, William C, Blackwell, Timothy S, Christman, John W, Washington, M Kay, Yull, Fiona E, Jaffal, Nada, Jansen, E Duco, Gautman, Shiva, Stain, Steven C Systemic nf-kappaB activation in a transgenic mouse model of acute pancreatitis. J Surg Res, 110(1), 310-4, 2003.
- Lin WC, Toms SA, Jansen ED, Mahadevan-Jansen A "Elimination of blood contamination effect on optical spectroscopic guidance of surgeries." IEEE J Sp Top Quant Electr, 7(6), 996-1003, 2002.
- Chan KF, Choi B, Vargas G, Hammer DX, Sorg B, Pfefer TJ, Teichman JMH, Welch AJ, Jansen ED "Free electron laser ablation of urinary calculi: An experimental study." IEEE J Sp Top Quant Electr, 7(6), 1022-33, 2002.
- Sadikot RT, Debelak JP, Jansen ED, Wudel LJ, Morris DS, Christman JW, Blackwell TS, Chapman WC "Hepatic cryoablation-induced multisystem injury: bioluminescent detection of NF-kB activation in a transgenic mouse model." J Gastrointestinal Surg, 6264-70, 2002.
- Wu, Nanjun, Opalenik, Susan, Liu, Jinhua, Jansen, E Duco, Giro, Maria Gabriella, Davidson, Jeffrey M Real-time visualization of MMP-13 promoter activity in transgenic mice. Matrix Biol, 21(2), 149-61, 2002.
- Sadikot, R T, Jansen, E D, Blackwell, T R, Zoia, O, Yull, F, Christman, J W, Blackwell, T S High-dose dexamethasone accentuates nuclear factor-kappa b activation in endotoxin-treated mice. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 164(5), 873-8, 2001.
- Lin, W C, Toms, S A, Johnson, M, Jansen, E D, Mahadevan-Jansen, A In vivo brain tumor demarcation using optical spectroscopy. Photochem Photobiol, 73(4), 396-402, 2001.
- Izzo, A D, Mackanos, M A, Beckham, J T, Jansen, E D In vivo optical imaging of expression of vascular endothelial growth factor following laser incision in skin. Lasers Surg Med, 29(4), 343-50, 2001.
- Jansen ED "Laser-tissue interaction during transmyocardial laser revascularization." Current topics in transmyocardial laser revascularization, M. Okada (ed), Medical Tribune Inc., Japan., Chapter 10133-154, 2001.
- Beckham JT, Baran JA, Izzo AD, Jansen ED "Optical imaging of Hsp70 and VEGF gene expression following laser thermal injury." Laser-Tissue Interaction XI, Jacques SL, (ed), SPIE, 4257377-85, 2001.
- Pratisto HS, Uhlhorn SR, Jansen ED "Beam delivery of the Vanderbilt Free Electron Laser with hollow wave guides: effect on temporal and spatial pulse propagation." Fiber and Integrated Optics, 20(1), 83-94, 2000.
- Lin, W C, Toms, S A, Motamedi, M, Jansen, E D, Mahadevan-Jansen, A Brain tumor demarcation using optical spectroscopy; an in vitro study. J Biomed Opt, 5(2), 214-20, 2000.
- Chan KF, Hammer DX, Choi B, Teichman JM, McGuff HS, Pratisto HS, Jansen ED, Welch AJ "Free Electron Laser lithotripsy: Threshold radiant exposures." Journal of EndoUrology, 14(2), 161-7, 2000.
- Asshauer T., Delacretaz, G., Jansen, E.D., Welch, A.J., Frenz, M "Pulsed holmium laser ablation of tissue phantoms: correlation of bubble formation and acoustic transients." Appl Phys B, 65647-657, 1997.
- Fritz, JD, Utz, AL, Hale, NM, Wu, L, Powers, AC, Verdoorn, TA, Robertson, D Gene-based neurotransmitter modulation in cerebellar granule neurons. J Neurochem, 68(1), 204-12, 1997.
- Jansen, E D, Frenz, M, Kadipasaoglu, K A, Pfefer, T J, Altermatt, H J, Motamedi, M, Welch, A J Laser-tissue interaction during transmyocardial laser revascularization. Ann Thorac Surg, 63(3), 640-7, 1997.
- Hammer, D.X., Jansen, E.D., Frenz, M., Noojin, G.D., Thomas, R.J., Noack, J., Vogel, A., Rockwell, B.A., Welch, A.J "Shielding properties of laser-induced breakdown in water for pulse durations from 5 ns to 125 fs." Appl Optics, 36(22), 5630-5640, 1997.
- Pratisto, H., Frenz, M., Ith, M., Altermatt, H.J., Jansen, E.D., Weber, H.P "Combination of fiberguided pulsed erbium and holmium laser radiation for tissue ablation under water." Appl Optics, 35(19), 3328-3337, 1996.
- Frenz, M., Pratisto, H., Konz, F., Jansen, E.D., Welch, A.J., Weber, H.P "Comparison of the effects of absorption coefficient and pulse duration of 2. 12 pm and 2.79 pm radiation on laser ablation." IEEE J Quant Electr, 32(12), 2025-2036, 1996.
- Welch AJ, Lin WC, Cilesiz I, Jansen ED, Frenz M, Motamedi M "Dynamics of optical properties." Verga-Scheggi AM, Martellucci S, Chester AN, Pratesi R (eds): Biomedical optical instrumentation and laser-assisted biotechnology, NATO A.S.I. Series: E325, Kluwer, Chapter 133-44, 1996.
- Van Leeuwen TG, Jansen ED, Welch AJ, Borst C "Excimer laser induced bubbles: dimensions, theory and implications for laser angioplasty." Lasers Surg Med, 18381-390, 1996.
- Jansen ED, Asshauer T, Frenz M, Motamedi M, Delacretaz G, Welch AJ "The effect of pulse duration on bubble formation and laser induced pressure waves during holmium laser ablation." Lasers Surg Med, 18278-293, 1996.