George X. Ding, Ph.D., FCCPM, FAAPM
Director of Physics Division, Department of Radiation Oncology
Vanderbilt, Department of Radiation Oncology
Preston Research Building, B1003
1301 22nd Ave. South
Nashville, TN 37232-5671
Dr. George Ding is a Professor, Chief Physicist and Director of Physics Division, Department of Radiation Oncology.
The goal of his work and research is to improve the therapeutic index - to enhance the tumor control while minimizing the toxicity of the treatment to critical normal tissues by using and developing state-of-the-art treatment techniques to improve accuracy and precision of radiotherapy.
Read more ....
Dr. George Ding is a Professor, Chief Physicist and Director of Physics Division, Department of Radiation Oncology.
The goal of his work and research is to improve the therapeutic index - to enhance the tumor control while minimizing the toxicity of the treatment to critical normal tissues by using and developing state-of-the-art treatment techniques to improve accuracy and precision of radiotherapy. His research interests include: accurate patient treatment planning, accurate dose calibration for radiation beams, quality assurance (QA) in reference dosimetry and patient treatment planning systems, Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), adaptive radiotherapy, stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT), reducing imaging guidance dose to patients, application of highly accurate Monte Carlo techniques in patient dose calculations, small-field dosimetry, developing new treatment delivery techniques using electrons and photon beams, developing accurate and practical dose calculation algorithms for low energy photon beams.
Dr. Ding is an expert in radiation dosimetry and application of Monte Carlo techniques in radiotherapy. His earlier work is at the heart of the Monte Carlo user code, BEAM, used throughout the world for simulation of radiation beams produced by medical accelerators. His work on water-to-air stopping-power ratios provides important dosimetric data for radiotherapy reference dose calibration. This new understanding led to a new reference depth for more accurate electron beam reference dose calibration. Both recent American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) dosimetry protocol TG-51 and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) TRS 398 protocol adopted the new reference depth for electron beam calibration. He pioneered a series of studies on the use of Monte Carlo techniques to estimate radiation exposure for patients who undergo image-guidance procedures using kilovoltage Cone Beam CT.
Dr. Ding has supervised over a dozen MSc, PhD students and residents, served as an External Examiner for many PhD Theses in different countries, served as a reviewer for 14 peer-reviewed journals, as well as an external reviewer for book proposals. He has served as a research grant reviewer for the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Ontario Research Fund, and many other government, university, and private funding sources. He has served as PI and Co-PI of research projects funded by external agencies, including NIH, universities and commercial companies.
Dr. Ding has been an invited speaker to international and national presentations. He has authored over 50 peer review articles, 5 book chapters, and over 100 published abstracts and presentations, many of those as first or senior author.
He currently serves on the committee of The National Academies on Research Directions in Human Biological Effects of Low Level Ionizing Radiation; chairs AAPM Task Group report-180; serves on the International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements Report Committee; the AAPM Therapy Physics Committee, the AAPM Calibration Laboratory Accreditation Executive Committee, and the AAPM Biological Effects Subcommittee addressing biological effects of radiation therapy.
Dr. Ding earned a Ph.D. in radiation physics from Carleton University and the National Research Council of Canada. He is a Fellow of the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine (FCCPM) and a Fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (FAAPM).
- Hadley, A, Ding, GX A single-gradient junction technique to replace multiple-junction shifts for craniospinal irradiation treatment. Med Dosim, 2014.
- Pawlowski, JM, Ding, GX An algorithm for kilovoltage x-ray dose calculations with applications in kV-CBCT scans and 2D planar projected radiographs. Phys Med Biol, 59(8), 2041-58, 2014.
- Nelson, AP, Ding, GX An alternative approach to account for patient organ doses from imaging guidance procedures. Radiother Oncol, 2014.
- Ding, GX, Krauss, R An empirical formula to obtain tissue-phantom ratios from percentage depth-dose curves for small fields. Phys Med Biol, 58(14), 4781-4789, 2013.
- Ding, GX, Malcolm, AW An optically stimulated luminescence dosimeter for measuring patient exposure from imaging guidance procedures. Phys Med Biol, 58(17), 5885-97, 2013.
- Ding, GX, Munro, P Radiation exposure to patients from image guidance procedures and techniques to reduce the imaging dose. Radiother Oncol, 108(1), 91-8, 2013.
- Ding, GX, Ding, F Beam characteristics and stopping-power ratios of small radiosurgery photon beams. Phys Med Biol, 57(17), 5509-21, 2012.
- Pawlowski, JM, Ding, GX A new approach to account for the medium-dependent effect in model-based dose calculations for kilovoltage x-rays. Phys Med Biol, 56(13), 3919-34, 2011.
- Deeley, MA, Chen, A, Datteri, R, Noble, JH, Cmelak, AJ, Donnelly, EF, Malcolm, AW, Moretti, L, Jaboin, J, Niermann, K, Yang, ES, Yu, DS, Yei, F, Koyama, T, Ding, GX, Dawant, BM Comparison of manual and automatic segmentation methods for brain structures in the presence of space-occupying lesions: a multi-expert study. Phys Med Biol, 56(14), 4557-77, 2011.
- Morales-Paliza, MA, Coffey, CW, Ding, GX Evaluation of the dynamic conformal arc therapy in comparison to intensity-modulated radiation therapy in prostate, brain, head-and-neck and spine tumors. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 12(2), 3197, 2011.
- Ding, GX, Coffey, CW Beam characteristics and radiation output of a kilovoltage cone-beam CT. Phys Med Biol, 55(17), 5231-48, 2010.
- Ding, GX, Coffey, CW Dosimetric evaluation of the OneDoseTM MOSFET for measuring kilovoltage imaging dose from image-guided radiotherapy procedures. Med Phys, 37(9), 4880-5, 2010.
- Alaei, P, Ding, G, Guan, H Inclusion of the dose from kilovoltage cone beam CT in the radiation therapy treatment plans. Med Phys, 37(1), 244-8, 2010.
- Ding, GX, Munro, P, Pawlowski, J, Malcolm, A, Coffey, CW Reducing radiation exposure to patients from kV-CBCT imaging. Radiother Oncol, 2010.
- Pawlowski, JM, Yang, ES, Malcolm, AW, Coffey, CW, Ding, GX Reduction of dose delivered to organs at risk in prostate cancer patients via image-guided radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 76(3), 924-34, 2010.
- Ding, GX, Coffey, CW Radiation dose from kilovoltage cone beam computed tomography in an image-guided radiotherapy procedure. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 73(2), 610-7, 2009.
- Walters, BR, Ding, GX, Kramer, R, Kawrakow, I Skeletal dosimetry in cone beam computed tomography. Med Phys, 36(7), 2915-22, 2009.
- Ding, GX, Pawlowski, JM, Coffey, CW A correction-based dose calculation algorithm for kilovoltage x rays. Med Phys, 35(12), 5312-6, 2008.
- Ding, GX, Duggan, DM, Coffey, CW A theoretical approach for non-equilibrium radiation dosimetry. Phys Med Biol, 53(13), 3493-9, 2008.
- Ding, GX, Duggan, DM, Coffey, CW Accurate patient dosimetry of kilovoltage cone-beam CT in radiation therapy. Med Phys, 35(3), 1135-44, 2008.
- Das, IJ, Ding, GX, AhnesjÃ¶, A Small fields: nonequilibrium radiation dosimetry. Med Phys, 35(1), 206-15, 2008.
- Ding, GX, Duggan, DM, Coffey, CW, Deeley, M, Hallahan, DE, Cmelak, A, Malcolm, A A study on adaptive IMRT treatment planning using kV cone-beam CT. Radiother Oncol, 85(1), 116-25, 2007.
- Ding, GX, Duggan, DM, Coffey, CW Characteristics of kilovoltage x-ray beams used for cone-beam computed tomography in radiation therapy. Phys Med Biol, 52(6), 1595-615, 2007.
- Ding, GX, Duggan, DM, Coffey, CW Comment on "Testing of the analytical anisotropic algorithm for photon dose calculation" [Med. Phys. 33, 4130-4148 (2006)]. Med Phys, 34(8), 3414, 2007.
- Duggan, DM, Ding, GX, Coffey, CW, Kirby, W, Hallahan, DE, Malcolm, A, Lu, B Deep-inspiration breath-hold kilovoltage cone-beam CT for setup of stereotactic body radiation therapy for lung tumors: Initial experience. Lung Cancer, 56(1), 77-88, 2007.
- Ding, GX, Duggan, DM, Lu, B, Hallahan, DE, Cmelak, A, Malcolm, A, Newton, J, Deeley, M, Coffey, CW Impact of inhomogeneity corrections on dose coverage in the treatment of lung cancer using stereotactic body radiation therapy. Med Phys, 34(7), 2985-94, 2007.
- Ding, GX, Duggan, DM, Coffey, CW Commissioning stereotactic radiosurgery beams using both experimental and theoretical methods. Phys Med Biol, 51(10), 2549-66, 2006.
- Ding, GX, Duggan, DM, Coffey, CW, Shokrani, P, Cygler, JE First macro Monte Carlo based commercial dose calculation module for electron beam treatment planning-new issues for clinical consideration. Phys Med Biol, 51(11), 2781-99, 2006.
- Ding, GX, Cygler, JE, Yu, CW, Kalach, NI, Daskalov, G A comparison of electron beam dose calculation accuracy between treatment planning systems using either a pencil beam or a Monte Carlo algorithm. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 63(2), 622-33, 2005.
- Ding, George X An investigation of accelerator head scatter and output factor in air. Med Phys, 31(9), 2527-33, 2004.
- Cygler, J E, Daskalov, G M, Chan, G H, Ding, G X Evaluation of the first commercial Monte Carlo dose calculation engine for electron beam treatment planning. Med Phys, 31(1), 142-53, 2004.
- Ding, George X Using Monte Carlo simulations to commission photon beam output factors--a feasibility study. Phys Med Biol, 48(23), 3865-74, 2003.
- Ding, George X, Duzenli, Cheryl, Kalach, Nina I Are neutrons responsible for the dose discrepancies between Monte Carlo calculations and measurements in the build-up region for a high-energy photon beam. Phys Med Biol, 47(17), 3251-61, 2002.
- Ding, George X Dose discrepancies between Monte Carlo calculations and measurements in the buildup region for a high-energy photon beam. Med Phys, 29(11), 2459-63, 2002.
- Ding, George X Energy spectra, angular spread, fluence profiles and dose distributions of 6 and 18 MV photon beams: results of monte carlo simulations for a varian 2100EX accelerator. Phys Med Biol, 47(7), 1025-46, 2002.
- Ding, G X, Yu, C W A study on beams passing through hip prosthesis for pelvic radiation treatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 51(4), 1167-75, 2001.
- Ding, G X, Yu, C W Determination of percentage depth-dose curves for electron beams using different types of detectors. Med Phys, 28(3), 298-302, 2001.
- Ding, G X, Cygler, J E, Kwok, C B Clinical reference dosimetry: comparison between AAPM TG-21 and TG-51 protocols. Med Phys, 27(6), 1217-25, 2000.
- Ding, G X, Cygler, J E, Zhang, G G, Yu, M K Evaluation of a commercial three-dimensional electron beam treatment planning system. Med Phys, 26(12), 2571-80, 1999.
- Ding, G X, Cygler, J E Measurement of Prepl Pwall factors in electron beams and in a 60Co beam for plane-parallel chambers. Med Phys, 25(8), 1453-7, 1998.
- Ding, G X, Cygler, J E Measurements of electron beam peak scatter factors. Med Phys, 25(2), 251-3, 1998.
- Ding, G X, Rogers, D W, Cygler, J E, Mackie, T R Electron fluence correction factors for conversion of dose in plastic to dose in water. Med Phys, 24(2), 161-76, 1997.
- Cygler, J, Ding, G X, Kendal, W, Cross, P Fetal dose for a patient undergoing mantle field irradiation for Hodgkin''s disease. Med Dosim, 22(2), 135-7, 1997.
- Cygler, J, Li, X A, Ding, G X, Lawrence, E Practical approach to electron beam dosimetry at extended SSD. Phys Med Biol, 42(8), 1505-14, 1997.
- Ding, G X, Rogers, D W Mean energy, energy-range relationships and depth-scaling factors for clinical electron beams. Med Phys, 23(3), 361-76, 1996.
- Burns, D T, Ding, G X, Rogers, D W R50 as a beam quality specifier for selecting stopping-power ratios and reference depths for electron dosimetry. Med Phys, 23(3), 383-8, 1996.
- Rogers, D W, Faddegon, B A, Ding, G X, Ma, C M, We, J, Mackie, T R BEAM: a Monte Carlo code to simulate radiotherapy treatment units. Med Phys, 22(5), 503-24, 1995.
- Ding, G X, Rogers, D W, Mackie, T R Calculation of stopping-power ratios using realistic clinical electron beams. Med Phys, 22(5), 489-501, 1995.
- Ding, G X, Shalev, S, Gluchev, G A rho-theta technique for treatment verification in radiotherapy and its clinical applications. Med Phys, 20(4), 1135-43, 1993.