Heidi J. Silver, Ph.D., R.D.
Research Associate Professor of Medicine (Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition)
Vanderbilt Center for Human Nutrition
514 Medical Arts Building
Nashville , TN 37232
Dr. Silver joined the VICC in fall 2003. Her current research targets the role of inflammation on the clinical outcome of skeletal muscle wasting in solid tumor patients. She has conducted prior studies on nutrient intake, nutritional status, body composition, energy expenditure, and health outcomes of cancer and its treatment in head and neck cancer patients - primarily those patients on tube feedings and those consuming liquid oral nutrition supplements.
Dr. Silver joined the VICC in fall 2003. Her current research targets the role of inflammation on the clinical outcome of skeletal muscle wasting in solid tumor patients. She has conducted prior studies on nutrient intake, nutritional status, body composition, energy expenditure, and health outcomes of cancer and its treatment in head and neck cancer patients - primarily those patients on tube feedings and those consuming liquid oral nutrition supplements. Previously, she was a Research Assistant Professor at Florida International University's Center on Nutrition and Aging following completion of her doctoral degree. Dr. Silver's prior research targeted nutrition support, food and fluid intake issues of older adults after hospital discharge in home and community settings, and family caregiving. She has convened two national issue panels on implementing the Dietary Reference Intakes in Older Americans Act Nutrition Programs. She has also provided public testimonies to the US Department of Health and Human Services for expansion of Medical Nutrition Therapy benefits to older adults in post-acute care settings. She serves as President for the Aging Research Interest Section of the American Society for Nutritional Sciences. Dr. Silver has extensive clinical expertise in the provision of parenteral and enteral nutrition support, especially in the areas of trauma; critical care; short bowel syndrome, intestinal failure and intestinal transplant; malabsorption; eating disorders; oncology; and pre-gestational diabetes.
- Doctoral Degree in Nutrition, Florida International University, 2001
- M.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics, Florida International University, 1991
- B.S. in Speech and Hearing Science, University of Massachusetts-Amherst , 1977
- Postgraduate Training: Registered Dietitian, Commission for Dietetic Registration, 1990
- Board certified nutrition support dietitian (CNSD), American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition,1994
- Silver, HJ, Niswender, KD, Keil, CD, Jiang, L, Feng, Q, Chiu, S, Krauss, RM, Wilke, RA CNR1 genotype influences HDL-cholesterol response to change in dietary fat intake. PLoS One, 7(5), e36166, 2012.
- Spankovich, C, Hood, LJ, Silver, HJ, Lambert, W, Flood, VM, Mitchell, P Associations between diet and both high and low pure tone averages and transient evoked otoacoustic emissions in an older adult population-based study. J Am Acad Audiol, 22(1), 49-58, 2011.
- Silver, HJ, Dietrich, MS, Niswender, KD Effects of grapefruit, grapefruit juice and water preloads on energy balance, weight loss, body composition, and cardiometabolic risk in free-living obese adults. Nutr Metab (Lond), 8(1), 8, 2011.
- Silver, HJ, Welch, EB, Avison, MJ, Niswender, KD Imaging body composition in obesity and weight loss: challenges and opportunities. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes, 3337-47, 2010.
- Silver, HJ, de Campos Graf Guimaraes, C, Pedruzzi, P, Badia, M, Spuldaro de Carvalho, A, Oliveira, BV, Ramos, GH, Dietrich, MS, Pietrobon, R Predictors of functional decline in locally advanced head and neck cancer patients from south Brazil. Head Neck, 32(9), 1217-25, 2010.
- Murphy, BA, Dietrich, MS, Wells, N, Dwyer, K, Ridner, SH, Silver, HJ, Gilbert, J, Chung, CH, Cmelak, A, Burkey, B, Yarbrough, WG, Sinard, R, Netterville, J Reliability and validity of the Vanderbilt Head and Neck Symptom Survey: a tool to assess symptom burden in patients treated with chemoradiation. Head Neck, 32(1), 26-37, 2010.
- Silver, HJ Food modification versus oral liquid nutrition supplementation. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme, 1279-93, 2009.
- Silver, HJ Oral strategies to supplement older adults'' dietary intakes: comparing the evidence. Nutr Rev, 67(1), 21-31, 2009.
- Silver, HJ, Dietrich, MS, Castellanos, VH Increased energy density of the home-delivered lunch meal improves 24-hour nutrient intakes in older adults. J Am Diet Assoc, 108(12), 2084-9, 2008.
- Silver, HJ, Dietrich, MS, Murphy, BA Changes in body mass, energy balance, physical function, and inflammatory state in patients with locally advanced head and neck cancer treated with concurrent chemoradiation after low-dose induction chemotherapy. Head Neck, 29(10), 893-900, 2007.
- Jensen, GL, Silver, HJ, Roy, MA, Callahan, E, Still, C, Dupont, W Obesity is a risk factor for reporting homebound status among community-dwelling older persons. Obesity (Silver Spring), 14(3), 509-17, 2006.
- Silver, HJ, Torquati, A, Jensen, GL, Richards, WO Weight, dietary and physical activity behaviors two years after gastric bypass. Obes Surg, 16(7), 859-64, 2006.
- Silver, Heidi J, Wellman, Nancy S, Galindo-Ciocon, Daisy, Johnson, Paulette Family caregivers of older adults on home enteral nutrition have multiple unmet task-related training needs and low overall preparedness for caregiving. J Am Diet Assoc, 104(1), 43-50, 2004.
- Silver, HJ, Wellman, NS, Arnold, DJ, Livingstone, AS, Byers, PM Older adults receiving home enteral nutrition: enteral regimen, provider involvement, and health care outcomes. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr, 28(2), 92-8, 2004.
- Silver, HJ The lived experience of home total parenteral nutrition: an online qualitative inquiry with adults, children, and mothers. Nutr Clin Pract, 19(3), 297-304, 2004.
- Silver, Heidi J, Wellman, Nancy S Nutrition diagnosing and order writing: value for practitioners, quality for clients. J Am Diet Assoc, 103(11), 1470-2, 2003.
- Silver, Heidi J, Wellman, Nancy S Family caregiver training is needed to improve outcomes for older adults using home care technologies. J Am Diet Assoc, 102(6), 831-6, 2002.
- Silver, Heidi J, Wellman, Nancy S Nutrition education may reduce burden in family caregivers of older adults. J Nutr Educ Behav, 34 Suppl 1S53-8, 2002.
- Silver, H J, Castellanos, V H Nutritional complications and management of intestinal transplant. J Am Diet Assoc, 100(6), 680-4, 687-9; quiz 685-6, 2000.
- Silver, H J Nutritional management of diabetes in pregnancy. J Am Diet Assoc, 93(12), 1381-2, 1993.