Igor Puzanov, M.D., M.S.C.I, F.A.C.P.
Associate Professor of Medicine (Hematology/Oncology)
Associate Director of Phase I Drug Development
Director, Melanoma Clinical Research
Clinical Director, Renal Cancer
- Clinical Trials Information
- Clinical Trials: 1-800-811-8480
- Online Self-Referral Form
- Other Telephone NumbersHenry-Joyce Cancer Clinic
615-936-8422 or 1-877-936-8422
- FaxesHenry-Joyce Cancer Clinic Fax
Henry-Joyce Cancer Clinic
1301 Medical Center Drive, Suite 1710
Nashville, Tennessee 37232-7415
2220 Pierce Avenue
777 Preston Research Building
Nashville, TN 37232-6307
Dr. Puzanov is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology-Oncology. Dr. Puzanov joined our faculty in July of 2005 after completing a three-year fellowship in Hematology-Oncology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and was board certified in 2001.
Dr. Puzanov is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology-Oncology. Dr. Puzanov joined our faculty in July of 2005 after completing a three-year fellowship in Hematology-Oncology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and was board certified in 2001. Prior to that, he received his M.D. degree from Charles University in Prague. Dr. Puzanov is an Associate Director of the Phase I Program, Director of Melanoma Clinical Research and Clinical Director of Renal Cell Carcinoma. In these roles, he is responsible for the development of new innovative therapies for patients with melanoma and RCC as well as co-leadership of a Phase I Program with emphasis on the genomic data integration and immunotherapy concepts. He leads collaborations with the cardiology department to study cardiotoxicity of anti-VEGF therapies for cancer and with Radiation Oncology department on the synergistic effects between radiation and immunotherapies.
- Charles University, Prague, Czechoslovakia, M.D., 1991
- Internship, Internal Medicine and Surgery, Faculty Hospital Royal Vineyards
- Residency/Internship, Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Fellowship in Medical Oncology and Hematology, Vanderbilt University
- Master of Science in Clinical Investigation, Vanderbilt University
Development of novel therapies for patients with solid tumors including melanoma and renal cell carcinoma
- Puzanov, I, Lindsay, C, Goff, LW, Sosman, JA, Gilbert, J, Berlin, J, Poondru, S, Simantov, R, Gedrich, R, Stephens, A, Chan, E, Evans, TR A Phase I Study of Continuous Oral Dosing of OSI-906, a Dual Inhibitor of Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 and Insulin Receptors in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors. Clin Cancer Res, 2014.
- Hussain, M, Daignault, S, Agarwal, N, Grivas, PD, Siefker-Radtke, AO, Puzanov, I, MacVicar, GR, Levine, EG, Srinivas, S, Twardowski, P, Eisenberger, MA, Quinn, DI, Vaishampayan, UN, Yu, EY, Dawsey, S, Day, KC, Day, ML, Al-Hawary, M, Smith, DC A randomized phase 2 trial of gemcitabine/cisplatin with or without cetuximab in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma. Cancer, 120(17), 2684-93, 2014.
- Ribas, A, Gonzalez, R, Pavlick, A, Hamid, O, Gajewski, TF, Daud, A, Flaherty, L, Logan, T, Chmielowski, B, Lewis, K, Kee, D, Boasberg, P, Yin, M, Chan, I, Musib, L, Choong, N, Puzanov, I, McArthur, GA Combination of vemurafenib and cobimetinib in patients with advanced BRAF(V600)-mutated melanoma: a phase 1b study. Lancet Oncol, 15(9), 954-65, 2014.
- Johnson, DB, Dahlman, KH, Knol, J, Gilbert, J, Puzanov, I, Means-Powell, J, Balko, JM, Lovly, CM, Murphy, BA, Goff, LW, Abramson, VG, Crispens, MA, Mayer, IA, Berlin, JD, Horn, L, Keedy, VL, Reddy, NM, Arteaga, CL, Sosman, JA, Pao, W Enabling a genetically informed approach to cancer medicine: a retrospective evaluation of the impact of comprehensive tumor profiling using a targeted next-generation sequencing panel. Oncologist, 19(6), 616-22, 2014.
- Bhatia, S, Curti, B, Ernstoff, MS, Gordon, M, Heath, EI, Miller, WH, Puzanov, I, Quinn, DI, Flaig, TW, VanVeldhuizen, P, Byrnes-Blake, K, Freeman, JA, Bittner, R, Hunder, N, Souza, S, Thompson, JA Recombinant interleukin-21 plus sorafenib for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a phase 1/2 study. J Immunother Cancer, 22, 2014.
- Topalian, SL, Sznol, M, McDermott, DF, Kluger, HM, Carvajal, RD, Sharfman, WH, Brahmer, JR, Lawrence, DP, Atkins, MB, Powderly, JD, Leming, PD, Lipson, EJ, Puzanov, I, Smith, DC, Taube, JM, Wigginton, JM, Kollia, GD, Gupta, A, Pardoll, DM, Sosman, JA, Hodi, FS Survival, durable tumor remission, and long-term safety in patients with advanced melanoma receiving nivolumab. J Clin Oncol, 32(10), 1020-30, 2014.
- Dandamudi, UB, Ghebremichael, M, Sosman, JA, Clark, JI, McDermott, DF, Atkins, MB, Dutcher, JP, Urba, WJ, Regan, MM, Puzanov, I, Crocenzi, TS, Curti, BD, Vaishampayan, UN, Crosby, NA, Margolin, KA, Ernstoff, MS A phase II study of bevacizumab and high-dose interleukin-2 in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a Cytokine Working Group (CWG) study. J Immunother, 36(9), 490-5, 2013.
- Hutchinson, KE, Lipson, D, Stephens, PJ, Otto, G, Lehmann, BD, Lyle, PL, Vnencak-Jones, CL, Ross, JS, Pietenpol, JA, Sosman, JA, Puzanov, I, Miller, VA, Pao, W BRAF fusions define a distinct molecular subset of melanomas with potential sensitivity to MEK inhibition. Clin Cancer Res, 19(24), 6696-702, 2013.
- Ascierto, PA, Grimaldi, AM, Acquavella, N, Borgognoni, L, Calabr¿¿, L, Cascinelli, N, Cesano, A, Del Vecchio, M, Eggermont, AM, Faries, M, Ferrone, S, Fox, BA, Gajewski, TF, Galon, J, Gnjatic, S, Gogas, H, Kashani-Sabet, M, Kaufman, HL, Larkin, J, Lo, RS, Mantovani, A, Margolin, K, Melief, C, McArthur, G, Palmieri, G, Puzanov, I, Ribas, A, Seliger, B, Sosman, J, Suenaert, P, Tarhini, AA, Trinchieri, G, Vidal-Vanaclocha, F, Wang, E, Ciliberto, G, Mozzillo, N, Marincola, FM, Thurin, M Future perspectives in melanoma research. Meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge. Napoli, December 2nd-4th 2012". J Transl Med, 11137, 2013.
- Trunzer, K, Pavlick, AC, Schuchter, L, Gonzalez, R, McArthur, GA, Hutson, TE, Moschos, SJ, Flaherty, KT, Kim, KB, Weber, JS, Hersey, P, Long, GV, Lawrence, D, Ott, PA, Amaravadi, RK, Lewis, KD, Puzanov, I, Lo, RS, Koehler, A, Kockx, M, Spleiss, O, Schell-Steven, A, Gilbert, HN, Cockey, L, Bollag, G, Lee, RJ, Joe, AK, Sosman, JA, Ribas, A Pharmacodynamic effects and mechanisms of resistance to vemurafenib in patients with metastatic melanoma. J Clin Oncol, 31(14), 1767-74, 2013.
- Wu, J, Clingen, PH, Spanswick, VJ, Mellinas-Gomez, M, Meyer, T, Puzanov, I, Jodrell, D, Hochhauser, D, Hartley, JA ¿¿-H2AX foci formation as a pharmacodynamic marker of DNA damage produced by DNA cross-linking agents: results from 2 phase I clinical trials of SJG-136 (SG2000). Clin Cancer Res, 19(3), 721-30, 2013.
- Flaherty, KT, Infante, JR, Daud, A, Gonzalez, R, Kefford, RF, Sosman, J, Hamid, O, Schuchter, L, Cebon, J, Ibrahim, N, Kudchadkar, R, Burris, HA, Falchook, G, Algazi, A, Lewis, K, Long, GV, Puzanov, I, Lebowitz, P, Singh, A, Little, S, Sun, P, Allred, A, Ouellet, D, Kim, KB, Patel, K, Weber, J Combined BRAF and MEK inhibition in melanoma with BRAF V600 mutations. N Engl J Med, 367(18), 1694-703, 2012.
- Long, GV, Trefzer, U, Davies, MA, Kefford, RF, Ascierto, PA, Chapman, PB, Puzanov, I, Hauschild, A, Robert, C, Algazi, A, Mortier, L, Tawbi, H, Wilhelm, T, Zimmer, L, Switzky, J, Swann, S, Martin, AM, Guckert, M, Goodman, V, Streit, M, Kirkwood, JM, Schadendorf, D Dabrafenib in patients with Val600Glu or Val600Lys BRAF-mutant melanoma metastatic to the brain (BREAK-MB): a multicentre, open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol, 13(11), 1087-95, 2012.
- Margolin, K, Ernstoff, MS, Hamid, O, Lawrence, D, McDermott, D, Puzanov, I, Wolchok, JD, Clark, JI, Sznol, M, Logan, TF, Richards, J, Michener, T, Balogh, A, Heller, KN, Hodi, FS Ipilimumab in patients with melanoma and brain metastases: an open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol, 13(5), 459-65, 2012.
- Kwa, M, Baumgartner, R, Shavit, L, Barash, I, Michael, J, Puzanov, I, Kopolovic, J, Rosengarten, O, Blank, S, Curtin, JP, Gabizon, A, Muggia, F Is Renal Thrombotic Angiopathy a Potential Problem in the Chronic Treatment of Ovarian Cancer. Oncologist, 2012.
- McArthur, GA, Puzanov, I, Amaravadi, R, Ribas, A, Chapman, P, Kim, KB, Sosman, JA, Lee, RJ, Nolop, K, Flaherty, KT, Callahan, J, Hicks, RJ Marked, homogeneous, and early [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography responses to vemurafenib in BRAF-mutant advanced melanoma. J Clin Oncol, 30(14), 1628-34, 2012.
- Su, F, Viros, A, Milagre, C, Trunzer, K, Bollag, G, Spleiss, O, Reis-Filho, JS, Kong, X, Koya, RC, Flaherty, KT, Chapman, PB, Kim, MJ, Hayward, R, Martin, M, Yang, H, Wang, Q, Hilton, H, Hang, JS, Noe, J, Lambros, M, Geyer, F, Dhomen, N, Niculescu-Duvaz, I, Zambon, A, Niculescu-Duvaz, D, Preece, N, Robert, L, Otte, NJ, Mok, S, Kee, D, Ma, Y, Zhang, C, Habets, G, Burton, EA, Wong, B, Nguyen, H, Kockx, M, Andries, L, Lestini, B, Nolop, KB, Lee, RJ, Joe, AK, Troy, JL, Gonzalez, R, Hutson, TE, Puzanov, I, Chmielowski, B, Springer, CJ, McArthur, GA, Sosman, JA, Lo, RS, Ribas, A, Marais, R RAS mutations in cutaneous squamous-cell carcinomas in patients treated with BRAF inhibitors. N Engl J Med, 366(3), 207-15, 2012.
- Rosen, LS, Puzanov, I, Friberg, G, Chan, E, Hwang, YC, Deng, H, Gilbert, J, Mahalingam, D, McCaffery, I, Michael, SA, Mita, AC, Mita, MM, Mulay, M, Shubhakar, P, Zhu, M, Sarantopoulos, J Safety and Pharmacokinetics of Ganitumab (AMG 479) Combined with Sorafenib, Panitumumab, Erlotinib, or Gemcitabine in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors. Clin Cancer Res, 18(12), 3414-27, 2012.
- Poprach, A, Pavlik, T, Melichar, B, Puzanov, I, Dusek, L, Bortlicek, Z, Vyzula, R, Abrahamova, J, Buchler, T, , Skin toxicity and efficacy of sunitinib and sorafenib in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a national registry-based study. Ann Oncol, 2012.
- Sosman, JA, Kim, KB, Schuchter, L, Gonzalez, R, Pavlick, AC, Weber, JS, McArthur, GA, Hutson, TE, Moschos, SJ, Flaherty, KT, Hersey, P, Kefford, R, Lawrence, D, Puzanov, I, Lewis, KD, Amaravadi, RK, Chmielowski, B, Lawrence, HJ, Shyr, Y, Ye, F, Li, J, Nolop, KB, Lee, RJ, Joe, AK, Ribas, A Survival in BRAF V600-mutant advanced melanoma treated with vemurafenib. N Engl J Med, 366(8), 707-14, 2012.
- Cho, DC, Hutson, TE, Samlowski, W, Sportelli, P, Somer, B, Richards, P, Sosman, JA, Puzanov, I, Michaelson, MD, Flaherty, KT, Figlin, RA, Vogelzang, NJ Two phase 2 trials of the novel Akt inhibitor perifosine in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma after progression on vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted therapy. Cancer, 2012.
- Patrawala, S, Puzanov, I Vemurafenib (RG67204, PLX4032): a potent, selective BRAF kinase inhibitor. Future Oncol, 8(5), 509-23, 2012.
- Arenbergerova, M, Puzanov, I [BRAF mutation: a novel approach in targeted melanoma therapy]. Klin Onkol, 25(5), 323-8, 2012.
- Puzanov, I, Burnett, P, Flaherty, KT Biological challenges of BRAF inhibitor therapy. Mol Oncol, 5(2), 116-23, 2011.
- Chung, CH, Pohlmann, PR, Rothenberg, ML, Burkey, BB, Parker, J, Palka, K, Aulino, J, Puzanov, I, Murphy, B Insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor inhibitor, AMG-479, in cetuximab-refractory head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck, 33(12), 1804-8, 2011.
- Puzanov, I, Lee, W, Chen, AP, Calcutt, MW, Hachey, DL, Vermeulen, WL, Spanswick, VJ, Liao, CY, Hartley, JA, Berlin, JD, Rothenberg, ML Phase I pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of SJG-136, a novel DNA sequence selective minor groove cross-linking agent, in advanced solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res, 17(11), 3794-802, 2011.
- Su, Y, Amiri, KI, Horton, LW, Yu, Y, Ayers, GD, Koehler, E, Kelley, MC, Puzanov, I, Richmond, A, Sosman, JA A phase I trial of bortezomib with temozolomide in patients with advanced melanoma: toxicities, antitumor effects, and modulation of therapeutic targets. Clin Cancer Res, 16(1), 348-57, 2010.
- Shepherd, C, Puzanov, I, Sosman, JA B-RAF inhibitors: an evolving role in the therapy of malignant melanoma. Curr Oncol Rep, 12(3), 146-52, 2010.
- Flaherty, KT, Puzanov, I Building on a foundation of VEGF and mTOR targeted agents in renal cell carcinoma. Biochem Pharmacol, 80(5), 638-46, 2010.
- Bollag, G, Hirth, P, Tsai, J, Zhang, J, Ibrahim, PN, Cho, H, Spevak, W, Zhang, C, Zhang, Y, Habets, G, Burton, EA, Wong, B, Tsang, G, West, BL, Powell, B, Shellooe, R, Marimuthu, A, Nguyen, H, Zhang, KY, Artis, DR, Schlessinger, J, Su, F, Higgins, B, Iyer, R, D''Andrea, K, Koehler, A, Stumm, M, Lin, PS, Lee, RJ, Grippo, J, Puzanov, I, Kim, KB, Ribas, A, McArthur, GA, Sosman, JA, Chapman, PB, Flaherty, KT, Xu, X, Nathanson, KL, Nolop, K Clinical efficacy of a RAF inhibitor needs broad target blockade in BRAF-mutant melanoma. Nature, 467(7315), 596-9, 2010.
- Flaherty, KT, Puzanov, I, Kim, KB, Ribas, A, McArthur, GA, Sosman, JA, O''Dwyer, PJ, Lee, RJ, Grippo, JF, Nolop, K, Chapman, PB Inhibition of mutated, activated BRAF in metastatic melanoma. N Engl J Med, 363(9), 809-19, 2010.
- Puzanov, I, Flaherty, KT Targeted molecular therapy in melanoma. Semin Cutan Med Surg, 29(3), 196-201, 2010.
- Sosman, J, Puzanov, I Combination targeted therapy in advanced renal cell carcinoma. Cancer, 115(10 Suppl), 2368-75, 2009.
- Tolcher, AW, Sarantopoulos, J, Patnaik, A, Papadopoulos, K, Lin, CC, Rodon, J, Murphy, B, Roth, B, McCaffery, I, Gorski, KS, Kaiser, B, Zhu, M, Deng, H, Friberg, G, Puzanov, I Phase I, pharmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic study of AMG 479, a fully human monoclonal antibody to insulin-like growth factor receptor 1. J Clin Oncol, 27(34), 5800-7, 2009.
- Wade Calcutt, M, Lee, W, Puzanov, I, Rothenberg, ML, Hachey, DL Determination of chemically reduced pyrrolobenzodiazepine SJG-136 in human plasma by HPLC-MS/MS: application to an anticancer phase I dose escalation study. J Mass Spectrom, 43(1), 42-52, 2008.
- Sosman, JA, Puzanov, I, Atkins, MB Opportunities and Obstacles to Combination Targeted Therapy in Renal Cell Cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 13(2), 764s-769s, 2007.
- Sosman, JA, Puzanov, I Molecular targets in melanoma from angiogenesis to apoptosis. Clin Cancer Res, 12(7 Pt 2), 2376s-2383s, 2006.
- Gruber, HE, Puzanov, IJ, Bennett, M, Kumar, V, Gordon, B Alterations in osteoclast morphology following long-term 17beta-estradiol administration in the mouse. BMC Cell Biol, 23, 2001.
- Sivakumar, PV, George, T, Puzanov, IJ, Williams, NS, Stepp, S, Liu, J, Schatzle, J, Lai, WC, Bennett, M, Kumar, V Hybrid resistance by mouse NK cells in vitro. Methods Mol Biol, 12173-9, 2000.
- Williams, NS, Klem, J, Puzanov, IJ, Sivakumar, PV, Bennett, M, Kumar, V Differentiation of NK1.1+, Ly49+ NK cells from flt3+ multipotent marrow progenitor cells. J Immunol, 163(5), 2648-56, 1999.
- Sivakumar, PV, Williams, NS, Puzanov, IJ, Schatzle, JD, Bennett, M, Kumar, V Development of self-recognition systems in natural killer cells. Adv Exp Med Biol, 4521-12, 1998.
- Williams, NS, Klem, J, Puzanov, IJ, Sivakumar, PV, Schatzle, JD, Bennett, M, Kumar, V Natural killer cell differentiation: insights from knockout and transgenic mouse models and in vitro systems. Immunol Rev, 16547-61, 1998.
- Sivakumar, PV, Puzanov, I, Williams, NS, Bennett, M, Kumar, V Ontogeny and differentiation of murine natural killer cells and their receptors. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol, 230161-90, 1998.
- Williams, NS, Moore, TA, Schatzle, JD, Puzanov, IJ, Sivakumar, PV, Zlotnik, A, Bennett, M, Kumar, V Generation of lytic natural killer 1.1+, Ly-49- cells from multipotential murine bone marrow progenitors in a stroma-free culture: definition of cytokine requirements and developmental intermediates. J Exp Med, 186(9), 1609-14, 1997.
- Puzanov, IJ, Williams, NS, Schatzle, J, Sivakumar, PV, Bennett, M, Kumar, V Ontogeny of NK cells and the bone marrow microenvironment: where does IL15 fit in. Res Immunol, 148(3), 195-201, 1997.
- Puzanov, IJ, Bennett, M, Kumar, V IL-15 can substitute for the marrow microenvironment in the differentiation of natural killer cells. J Immunol, 157(10), 4282-5, 1996.