Jack Jacek Hawiger, M.D., Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor of Medicine (Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care)
Louise B. McGavock Endowed Chair
Professor of Physiology and Molecular Biophysics
Inflammation, Innate Immunity, Biodefense, and Intracellular Delivery of Proteins and Peptides
Inflammation is the main mechanism of diseases caused by microbial, autoimmune, metabolic, and physical factors. In fact, we estimate that approx. 80% of all major human diseases, including heart attacks, strokes, sepsis, and early cancer, are mediated by inflammation. Proinflammatory cues are sensed by pattern recognition receptors such as Toll-like Receptors (TLRs) that are mainstays of innate immunity. These receptors generate signals that are transduced to the nucleus by an intricate network of intracellular adaptors. We study two families of these adaptors as potential targets for anti-inflammatory therapy to prevent reprogramming of the genome toward proinflammatory phenotype.
The first family of innate immunity adaptors of intense interest is MyD88 (myeloid differentiation 88) protein and its four relatives, including MAL, TRIF and SARM. We study them by identifying their cross-talk with TLRs and with each other. For example, we identified the RDR motif in Box 2 of MyD88 TIR domain as the interactive site with some members of TLR superfamily. This site is mutated in inborn errors of innate immunity characterized by pyogenic infections. We also unraveled a new function for another adaptor SARM.
The second family of adaptors of longstanding interest to us is the so-called nuclear import machinery, known as importins or karyopherins. We provided initial evidence that by targeting them with cell-penetrating peptides, which displace nuclear import cargo from its binding pocket on importin alpha 1, we prevent nuclear delivery of proinflammatory transcription factors such as NFkappa B, AP-1, NFAT, and STAT-1. Hence, proinflammatory reprogramming of the genome is prevented in multiple cells that stop producing inflammatory, procoagulant, proapoptotic, and autoimmune mediators. We accomplished this outcome by developing an innovative platform for intracellular delivery of peptides and proteins that bypass endosomal pathway with its degradative potential. We have proven the utility of nuclear import inhibitors as cell-penetrating peptides in preclinical models of septic/toxic shock and in acute lung inflammation caused by bacterial lipopolysaccharide and superantigen as well as in chronic autoimmune diabetes model that mimics Type 1 diabetes. We extended these long-term treatment studies to a relevant model of atherosclerosis induced by Western diet in LDL receptor-negative mice. Cumulatively, these basic and translational studies provided a firm basis for the nuclear paradigm of inflammation
Finally, we continue our groundbreaking studies of intracellular protein therapy as a facile alternative of gene therapy. We have proven the utility of intracellular protein therapy by bioengineering and delivering physiologic suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 (SOCS3) to prevent or treat acute liver inflammation and apoptosis induced by microbial agents in preclinical models. We extended the anti-inflammatory action of cell-penetrating SOCS3 by engineering its long-acting form to persist 41 times longer than endogenous SOCS3. This increased stability, coupled with the capacity for rapid intracellular delivery renders the CP- SOCS3 mutant an attractive candidate for intracellular protein therapy to suppress acute and chronic inflammation induced by a variety of proinflammatory agonists in multiple organ systems.
- Liu, Y, Major, AS, Zienkiewicz, J, Gabriel, CL, Veach, RA, Moore, DJ, Collins, RD, Hawiger, J Nuclear transport modulation reduces hypercholesterolemia, atherosclerosis, and fatty liver. J Am Heart Assoc, 2(2), e000093, 2013.
- Sethman, CR, Hawiger, J The Innate Immunity Adaptor SARM Translocates to the Nucleus to Stabilize Lamins and Prevent DNA Fragmentation in Response to Pro-Apoptotic Signaling. PLoS One, 8(7), e70994, 2013.
- Lin, Q, Liu, Y, Moore, DJ, Elizer, SK, Veach, RA, Hawiger, J, Ruley, HE Cutting Edge: The "Death" Adaptor CRADD/RAIDD Targets BCL10 and Suppresses Agonist-Induced Cytokine Expression in T Lymphocytes. J Immunol, 188(6), 2493-7, 2012.
- Veach, RA, Zienkiewicz, J, Collins, RD, Hawiger, J Lethality in a murine model of pulmonary anthrax is reduced by combining nuclear transport modifier with antimicrobial therapy. PLoS One, 7(1), e30527, 2012.
- Hawiger, J, Musser, JM How to approach genome wars in sepsis. Crit Care, 15(6), 1007, 2011.
- Moore, DJ, Zienkiewicz, J, Kendall, PL, Liu, D, Liu, X, Veach, RA, Collins, RD, Hawiger, J In vivo islet protection by a nuclear import inhibitor in a mouse model of type 1 diabetes. PLoS One, 5(10), e13235, 2010.
- Fletcher, TC, DiGiandomenico, A, Hawiger, J Extended anti-inflammatory action of a degradation-resistant mutant of cell-penetrating suppressor of cytokine signaling 3. J Biol Chem, 285(24), 18727-36, 2010.
- DiGiandomenico, A, Wylezinski, LS, Hawiger, J Intracellular delivery of a cell-penetrating SOCS1 that targets IFN-gamma signaling. Sci Signal, 2(80), ra37, 2009.
- Liu, D, Zienkiewicz, J, DiGiandomenico, A, Hawiger, J Suppression of acute lung inflammation by intracellular peptide delivery of a nuclear import inhibitor. Mol Ther, 17(5), 796-802, 2009.
- Zanchi, C, Zoja, C, Morigi, M, Valsecchi, F, Liu, XY, Rottoli, D, Locatelli, M, Buelli, S, Pezzotta, A, Mapelli, P, Geelen, J, Remuzzi, G, Hawiger, J Fractalkine and CX3CR1 mediate leukocyte capture by endothelium in response to Shiga toxin. J Immunol, 181(2), 1460-9, 2008.
- Bezbradica, JS, Gordy, LE, Stanic, AK, Dragovic, S, Hill, T, Hawiger, J, Unutmaz, D, Van Kaer, L, Joyce, S Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor regulates effector differentiation of invariant natural killer T cells during thymic ontogeny. Immunity, 25(3), 487-97, 2006.
- Li, C, Zienkiewicz, J, Hawiger, J Interactive sites in the MyD88 Toll/interleukin (IL) 1 receptor domain responsible for coupling to the IL1beta signaling pathway. J Biol Chem, 280(28), 26152-9, 2005.
- Jo, D, Liu, D, Yao, S, Collins, RD, Hawiger, J Intracellular protein therapy with SOCS3 inhibits inflammation and apoptosis. Nat Med, 11(8), 892-8, 2005.
- Kathy Aschheim, Nadia Cervoni, Laura DeFrancesco, Teresa Moogan and Gaspar Taroncher-Oldenburg New septic shock therapeutic?. Nature Biotechnology, 23(8), 949, 2005.
- Melissa Marino Protein therapy "SOCS" in to inflammation. The Reporter/VUMC, (August 19), 2005.
- Liu, D, Li, C, Chen, Y, Burnett, C, Liu, XY, Downs, S, Collins, RD, Hawiger, J Nuclear import of proinflammatory transcription factors is required for massive liver apoptosis induced by bacterial lipopolysaccharide. J Biol Chem, 279(46), 48434-42, 2004.
- Veach, Ruth Ann, Liu, Danya, Yao, Shan, Chen, Yiliu, Liu, Xue Yan, Downs, Sheila, Hawiger, Jacek Receptor/transporter-independent targeting of functional peptides across the plasma membrane. J Biol Chem, 279(12), 11425-31, 2004.
- Liu, Danya, Liu, Xue Yan, Robinson, Daniel, Burnett, Christie, Jackson, Charity, Seele, Louis, Veach, Ruth Ann, Downs, Sheila, Collins, Robert D, Ballard, Dean W, Hawiger, Jacek Suppression of Staphylococcal Enterotoxin B-induced Toxicity by a Nuclear Import Inhibitor. J Biol Chem, 279(18), 19239-46, 2004.
- Hawiger J "Peptide/Protein Delivery." Encyclopedia of Molecular Medicine, John Wiley and Sons: Set ISBN 0-471-37494-6, 52002.
- Oltz, E M, Hawiger, J Immunology at Vanderbilt University. Immunol Res, 23(2-3), 97-8, 2001.
- Hawiger, J Innate immunity and inflammation: a transcriptional paradigm. Immunol Res, 23(2-3), 99-109, 2001.
- Yan Liu, X, Robinson, D, Veach, R A, Liu, D, Timmons, S, Collins, R D, Hawiger, J Peptide-directed suppression of a pro-inflammatory cytokine response. J Biol Chem, 275(22), 16774-8, 2000.
- Hawiger, J, Veach, R A, Liu, X Y, Timmons, S, Ballard, D W IkappaB kinase complex is an intracellular target for endotoxic lipopolysaccharide in human monocytic cells. Blood, 94(5), 1711-6, 1999.
- Hawiger, J Noninvasive intracellular delivery of functional peptides and proteins. Curr Opin Chem Biol, 3(1), 89-94, 1999.
- Ware, S, Donahue, J P, Hawiger, J, Anderson, W F Structure of the fibrinogen gamma-chain integrin binding and factor XIIIa cross-linking sites obtained through carrier protein driven crystallization. Protein Sci, 8(12), 2663-71, 1999.
- Zhang, L, Torgerson, T R, Liu, X Y, Timmons, S, Colosia, A D, Hawiger, J, Tam, J P Preparation of functionally active cell-permeable peptides by single-step ligation of two peptide modules. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 95(16), 9184-9, 1998.
- Torgerson, T R, Colosia, A D, Donahue, J P, Lin, Y Z, Hawiger, J Regulation of NF-kappa B, AP-1, NFAT, and STAT1 nuclear import in T lymphocytes by noninvasive delivery of peptide carrying the nuclear localization sequence of NF-kappa B p50. J Immunol, 161(11), 6084-92, 1998.
- Chu, Z L, DiDonato, J A, Hawiger, J, Ballard, D W The tax oncoprotein of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 associates with and persistently activates IkappaB kinases containing IKKalpha and IKKbeta. J Biol Chem, 273(26), 15891-4, 1998.
- Hawiger, J Cellular import of functional peptides to block intracellular signaling. Curr Opin Immunol, 9(2), 189-94, 1997.
- Liu, K Y, Timmons, S, Lin, Y Z, Hawiger, J Identification of a functionally important sequence in the cytoplasmic tail of integrin beta 3 by using cell-permeable peptide analogs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 93(21), 11819-24, 1996.
- Lin, Y Z, Yao, S Y, Hawiger, J Role of the nuclear localization sequence in fibroblast growth factor-1-stimulated mitogenic pathways. J Biol Chem, 271(10), 5305-8, 1996.
- Hawiger, J Adhesive ends of fibrinogen and its antiadhesive peptides: the end of a sage. Semin Hematol, 32(2), 99-109, 1995.
- Lin, Y Z, Yao, S Y, Veach, R A, Torgerson, T R, Hawiger, J Inhibition of nuclear translocation of transcription factor NF-kappa B by a synthetic peptide containing a cell membrane-permeable motif and nuclear localization sequence. J Biol Chem, 270(24), 14255-8, 1995.
- Hawiger, J Mechanisms involved in platelet vessel wall interaction. Thromb Haemost, 74(1), 369-72, 1995.
- Donald, R, Ballard, D W, Hawiger, J Proteolytic processing of NF-kappa B/I kappa B in human monocytes. ATP-dependent induction by pro-inflammatory mediators. J Biol Chem, 270(1), 9-12, 1995.
- Shepherd, J T, Bergan, J J, Cohen, R A, Hawiger, J J, Hillis, L D, Katzen, B T, Mohr, J P Report of the Task Force on Vascular Medicine. Circulation, 89(1), 532-5, 1994.
- Donahue, J P, Sugg, N, Hawiger, J The integrin alpha v gene: identification and characterization of the promoter region. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1219(1), 228-32, 1994.
- Donahue, J P, Patel, H, Anderson, W F, Hawiger, J Three-dimensional structure of the platelet integrin recognition segment of the fibrinogen gamma chain obtained by carrier protein-driven crystallization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 91(25), 12178-82, 1994.
- Read, M A, Cordle, S R, Veach, R A, Carlisle, C D, Hawiger, J Cell-free pool of CD14 mediates activation of transcription factor NF-kappa B by lipopolysaccharide in human endothelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 90(21), 9887-91, 1993.
- Cordle, S R, Donald, R, Read, M A, Hawiger, J Lipopolysaccharide induces phosphorylation of MAD3 and activation of c-Rel and related NF-kappa B proteins in human monocytic THP-1 cells. J Biol Chem, 268(16), 11803-10, 1993.
- Blumenstein, M, Matsueda, G R, Timmons, S, Hawiger, J A beta-turn is present in the 392-411 segment of the human fibrinogen gamma-chain. Effects of structural changes in this segment on affinity to antibody 4A5. Biochemistry, 31(44), 10692-8, 1992.
- Hawiger, J, Timmons, S Binding of fibrinogen and von Willebrand factor to platelet glycoprotein IIb-IIIa complex. Methods Enzymol, 215228-43, 1992.
- Hawiger, J Introduction to platelet structural and functional organization. Methods Enzymol, 2153-5, 1992.
- Hawiger, J Repertoire of platelet receptors. Methods Enzymol, 215131-6, 1992.
- Hawiger, J Adhesive interactions of platelets and their blockade. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 614270-8, 1991.
- Shiba, E, Lindon, J N, Kushner, L, Matsueda, G R, Hawiger, J, Kloczewiak, M, Kudryk, B, Salzman, E W Antibody-detectable changes in fibrinogen adsorption affecting platelet activation on polymer surfaces. Am J Physiol, 260(5 Pt 1), C965-74, 1991.
- Chen, C S, Hawiger, J Reactivity of synthetic peptide analogs of adhesive proteins in regard to the interaction of human endothelial cells with extracellular matrix. Blood, 77(10), 2200-6, 1991.
- Grabarek, J, Her, G R, Reinhold, V N, Hawiger, J Endotoxic lipid A interaction with human platelets. Structure-function analysis of lipid A homologs obtained from Salmonella minnesota Re595 lipopolysaccharide. J Biol Chem, 265(14), 8117-21, 1990.
- Bauer, K A, Kass, B L, ten Cate, H, Hawiger, J J, Rosenberg, R D Factor IX is activated in vivo by the tissue factor mechanism. Blood, 76(4), 731-6, 1990.
- Romano, M, Hawiger, J Interaction of endotoxic lipid A and lipid X with purified human platelet protein kinase C. J Biol Chem, 265(3), 1765-70, 1990.
- Johnson, R S, Her, G R, Grabarek, J, Hawiger, J, Reinhold, V N Structural characterization of monophosphoryl lipid A homologs obtained from Salmonella minnesota Re595 lipopolysaccharide. J Biol Chem, 265(14), 8108-16, 1990.
- Timmons, S, Bednarek, M A, Kloczewiak, M, Hawiger, J Antiplatelet 'hybrid' peptides analogous to receptor recognition domains on gamma and alpha chains of human fibrinogen. Biochemistry, 28(7), 2919-23, 1989.
- Bauer, K A, Kass, B L, ten Cate, H, Bednarek, M A, Hawiger, J J, Rosenberg, R D Detection of factor X activation in humans. Blood, 74(6), 2007-15, 1989.
- Weiss, H J, Hawiger, J, Ruggeri, Z M, Turitto, V T, Thiagarajan, P, Hoffmann, T Fibrinogen-independent platelet adhesion and thrombus formation on subendothelium mediated by glycoprotein IIb-IIIa complex at high shear rate. J Clin Invest, 83(1), 288-97, 1989.
- Donaldson, D J, Mahan, J T, Amrani, D, Hawiger, J Fibrinogen-mediated epidermal cell migration: structural correlates for fibrinogen function. J Cell Sci, 94 ( Pt 1)101-8, 1989.
- Timmons, S, Hawiger, J Isolation of human platelets by albumin gradient and gel filtration. Methods Enzymol, 16911-21, 1989.
- Kloczewiak, M, Timmons, S, Bednarek, M A, Sakon, M, Hawiger, J Platelet receptor recognition domain on the gamma chain of human fibrinogen and its synthetic peptide analogues. Biochemistry, 28(7), 2915-9, 1989.
- Hawiger, J, Kloczewiak, M, Bednarek, M A, Timmons, S Platelet receptor recognition domains on the alpha chain of human fibrinogen: structure-function analysis. Biochemistry, 28(7), 2909-14, 1989.
- Hawiger, J Platelet secretory pathways: an overview. Methods Enzymol, 169191-5, 1989.
- Grabarek, J, Timmons, S, Hawiger, J Modulation of human platelet protein kinase C by endotoxic lipid A. J Clin Invest, 82(3), 964-71, 1988.
- Hawiger, J Dr. Mario Baldini (January 15, 1917-August 4, 1986). Thromb Res, 47(1), 1-3, 1987.
- Hawiger, J Formation and regulation of platelet and fibrin hemostatic plug. Hum Pathol, 18(2), 111-22, 1987.
- Hawiger, J Macromolecules that link platelets following vessel wall injury. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 509131-41, 1987.
- Kloczewiak, M, Timmons, S, Hawiger, J Reactivity of chemically cross-linked fibrinogen and its fragments D toward the staphylococcal clumping receptor. Biochemistry, 26(19), 6152-6, 1987.
- Timmons, S, Huzoor-Akbar, , Grabarek, J, Kloczewiak, M, Hawiger, J Mechanism of human platelet activation by endotoxic glycolipid-bearing mutant Re595 of Salmonella minnesota. Blood, 68(5), 1015-23, 1986.
- McManama, G, Lindon, J N, Kloczewiak, M, Smith, M A, Ware, J A, Hawiger, J, Merrill, E W, Salzman, E W Platelet aggregation by fibrinogen polymers crosslinked across the E domain. Blood, 68(2), 363-71, 1986.
- Timmons, S, Hawiger, J von Willebrand factor can substitute for plasma fibrinogen in ADP-induced platelet aggregation. Trans Assoc Am Physicians, 99226-35, 1986.
- Timmons, S, Kloczewiak, M, Hawiger, J ADP-dependent common receptor mechanism for binding of von Willebrand factor and fibrinogen to human platelets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 81(15), 4935-9, 1984.
- Nachman, R L, Leung, L L, Kloczewiak, M, Hawiger, J Complex formation of platelet membrane glycoproteins IIb and IIIa with the fibrinogen D domain. J Biol Chem, 259(13), 8584-8, 1984.
- Sakon, M, Hawiger, J Mechanism triggering platelet hemostatic plug formation in vivo. Trans Assoc Am Physicians, 97311-8, 1984.
- Kloczewiak, M, Timmons, S, Lukas, T J, Hawiger, J Platelet receptor recognition site on human fibrinogen. Synthesis and structure-function relationship of peptides corresponding to the carboxy-terminal segment of the gamma chain. Biochemistry, 23(8), 1767-74, 1984.
- FitzGerald, G A, Oates, J A, Hawiger, J, Maas, R L, Roberts, L J, Lawson, J A, Brash, A R Endogenous biosynthesis of prostacyclin and thromboxane and platelet function during chronic administration of aspirin in man. J Clin Invest, 71(3), 676-88, 1983.
- Hawiger, J, Kloczewiak, M, Timmons, S, Strong, D, Doolittle, R F Interaction of fibrinogen with staphylococcal clumping factor and with platelets. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 408521-35, 1983.
- Kloczewiak, M, Timmons, S, Hawiger, J Recognition site for the platelet receptor is present on the 15-residue carboxy-terminal fragment of the gamma chain of human fibrinogen and is not involved in the fibrin polymerization reaction. Thromb Res, 29(2), 249-55, 1983.
- Huddleston, C B, Lupinetti, F M, Laws, K H, Collins, J C, Clanton, J A, Hawiger, J J, Oates, J A, Hammon, J W The effects of RO-22-4679, a thromboxane synthetase inhibitor, on ventricular fibrillation induced by coronary artery occlusion in conscious dogs. Circ Res, 52(5), 608-13, 1983.
- Fujimoto, T, Hawiger, J Adenosine diphosphate induces binding of von Willebrand factor to human platelets. Nature, 297(5862), 154-6, 1982.
- Graber, S E, Hawiger, J Evidence that changes in platelet cyclic AMP levels regulate the fibrinogen receptor on human platelets. J Biol Chem, 257(24), 14606-9, 1982.
- Hawiger, J, Timmons, S, Kloczewiak, M, Strong, D D, Doolittle, R F Gamma and alpha chains of human fibrinogen possess sites reactive with human platelet receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 79(6), 2068-71, 1982.
- Hawiger, J, Timmons, S, Strong, D D, Cottrell, B A, Riley, M, Doolittle, R F Identification of a region of human fibrinogen interacting with staphylococcal clumping factor. Biochemistry, 21(6), 1407-13, 1982.
- Strong, D D, Laudano, A P, Hawiger, J, Doolittle, R F Isolation, characterization, and synthesis of peptides from human fibrinogen that block the staphylococcal clumping reaction and construction of a synthetic clumping particle. Biochemistry, 21(6), 1414-20, 1982.
- Kloczewiak, M, Timmons, S, Hawiger, J Localization of a site interacting with human platelet receptor on carboxy-terminal segment of human fibrinogen gamma chain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 107(1), 181-7, 1982.
- Fujimoto, T, Ohara, S, Hawiger, J Thrombin-induced exposure and prostacyclin inhibition of the receptor for factor VIII/von Willebrand factor on human platelets. J Clin Invest, 69(6), 1212-22, 1982.
- Des Prez, R M, Steckley, S, Stroud, R M, Hawiger, J Interaction of Histoplasma capsulatum with human platelets. J Infect Dis, 142(1), 32-9, 1980.
- Schwartz, M B, Hawiger, J, Timmons, S, Friesinger, G C Platelet aggregates in ischemic heart disease. Thromb Haemost, 43(3), 185-8, 1980.
- Robertson, R M, Robertson, D, Friesinger, G C, Timmons, S, Hawiger, J Platelet aggregates in peripheral and coronary-sinus blood in patients with spontaneous coronary-artery spasm. Lancet, 2(8199), 829-31, 1980.
- Hawiger, J, Parkinson, S, Timmons, S Prostacyclin inhibits mobilisation of fibrinogen-binding sites on human ADP- and thrombin-treated platelets. Nature, 283(5743), 195-7, 1980.
- Cheng, C M, Hawiger, J Affinity isolation and characterization of immunoglobulin G Fc fragment-binding glycoprotein from human blood platelets. J Biol Chem, 254(7), 2165-7, 1979.
- Hawiger, J, Steckley, S, Hammond, D, Cheng, C, Timmons, S, Glick, A D, Des Prez, R M Staphylococci-induced human platelet injury mediated by protein A and immunoglobulin G Fc fragment receptor. J Clin Invest, 64(4), 931-7, 1979.
- Hawiger, J, Hammond, D K, Timmons, S, Budzynski, A Z Interaction of human fibrinogen with staphylococci: presence of a binding region on normal and abnormal fibrinogen variants and fibrinogen derivatives. Blood, 51(5), 799-812, 1978.
- Timmons, S, Hawiger, J Separation of human platelets from plasma proteins including factor VIII VWF by a combined albumin gradient-gel filtration method using HEPES buffer. Thromb Res, 12(2), 297-306, 1978.
- Hawiger, J, Hawiger, A, Steckley, S, Timmons, S, Cheng, C Membrane changes in human platelets induced by lipopolysaccharide endotoxin. Br J Haematol, 35(2), 285-99, 1977.
- Hawiger, J Disseminated intravascular coagulation in patients with infections: diagnostic and therapeutic approach. Mater Med Pol, 8(2), 206-12, 1976.
- Niewiarowski, S, Lowery, C T, Hawiger, J, Millman, M, Timmons, S Immunoassay of human platelet factor 4(PF4, antiheparin factor) by radial immunodiffusion. J Lab Clin Med, 87(4), 720-33, 1976.
- Hawiger, J, Hawiger, A, Timmons, S Endotoxin-sensitive membrane component of human platelets. Nature, 256(5513), 125-7, 1975.
- Des Prez, R M, Bryan, C S, Hawiger, J, Colley, D G Function of the classical and alternate pathways of human complement in serum treated with ethylene glycol tetraacetic acid and MgCl2-ethylene glycol tetraacetic acid. Infect Immun, 11(6), 1235-43, 1975.
- Hawiger, J, Hammond, D K, Timmons, S Human fibrinogen possesses binding site for staphyococci on Aalpha and Bbeta polypeptide chains. Nature, 258(5536), 643-5, 1975.
- Hawiger, J, Hammond, D K, Timmons, S Proceedings: Pathobiology of human fibrinogen. Binding site for staphylococci on Aalpha and Bbeta chains of fibrinogen molecule. Thromb Diath Haemorrh, 34(1), 324-5, 1975.
- Hawiger, A, Hawiger, J, Timmons, S, Steckley, S, Cheng, C Proceedings: The role of membrane receptors in pathways of human platelet activation by endotoxin and other microbial products. Thromb Diath Haemorrh, 34(2), 594, 1975.
- Graybill, J R, Hawiger, J, Des Prez, R M Complement and coagulation in Rocky Mountain spotted fever. South Med J, 66(4), 410-3, 1973.
- Satterwhite, T K, Hawiger, J, Burklow, S L, Koenig, M G Degradation products of fibrinogen and fibrin in bacteremia due to gram-negative rods. J Infect Dis, 127(4), 437-41, 1973.
- Hawiger, J, Timmons, S Dynamic changes in the membrane of leukocyte lysosomes detected with fluorescent probe and accompanied by release of lysosomal enzymes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 55(4), 1278-84, 1973.
- Hawiger, J, Hawiger, A, Koenig, M G Activation of lysosomal enzymes in polymorphonuclear leukocytic granules: the role of phospholipid-protein interaction. Yale J Biol Med, 45(1), 42-8, 1972.
- Hawiger, J, Marney, S R, Colley, D G, Des Prez, R M Complement-dependent platelet injury by staphylococcal protein A. J Exp Med, 136(1), 68-80, 1972.
- Hawiger, J, Hawiger, A, Koenig, M G Staphylococcal clumping and fibrinogen and fibrin degradation products in inflammatory exudate. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 136(1), 132-6, 1971.
- Hawiger, J, Niewiarowski, S, Gurewich, V, Thomas, D P Measurement of fibrinogen and fibrin degradation products in serum by staphylococcal clumping test. J Lab Clin Med, 75(1), 93-108, 1970.
- Hawiger, J, Horn, R G, Koenig, M G, Collins, R D Activation and release of lysosomal enzymes from isolated leukocytic granules by liposomes. A proposed model for degranulation in polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Yale J Biol Med, 42(2), 57-70, 1969.
- Horn, R G, Hawiger, J, Collins, R D Electron microscopy of fibrin-like precipitate formed during the paracoagulation reaction between soluble fibrin monomer complexes and protamine sulphate. Br J Haematol, 17(5), 463-6, 1969.
- Hawiger, J, Collins, R D, Horn, R G, Koenig, M G Interaction of artificial phospholipid membranes with isolated polymorphonuclear leucocytic granules. Nature, 222(190), 276-8, 1969.
- Hawiger, J, Collins, R D, Horn, R G Precipitation of soluble fibrin monomer complexes by lysosomal protein fraction of polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 131(2), 349-53, 1969.
- Zak, C, Hawiger, J, Jeljaszewicz, J Sensitivity of Staphylococcus aureus to 30 antibiotics. Chemotherapy, 14(1), 7-21, 1969.
- BÃ³br, J, Hawiger, J, JanuÅ¿, S, Sznapka, L, Kalita, S [Intradepartmental infection in a children''s clinic. Pol Tyg Lek, 24(38), 1452-5, 1969.
- Zak, C, Hawiger, J, Jeljaszewicz, J [Susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus to the effect of 30 antibiotics in vitro. Przegl Epidemiol, 23(2), 279-92, 1969.
- Hawiger, J Frequency of staphylococcal lysozyme production tested by plate method. J Clin Pathol, 21(3), 390-3, 1968.
- Hawiger, J Purification and properties of lysozyme produced by Staphylococcus aureus. J Bacteriol, 95(2), 376-84, 1968.
- Hawiger, J [Staphylococcal lysozyme. 3. Factors influencing the course of reaction of staphylococcal lysozyme. Med Dosw Mikrobiol, 20(2), 109-18, 1968.
- Hawiger, J [Staphylococcal lysozyme. 4. Lysozyme activity towards various substrates. Med Dosw Mikrobiol, 20(2), 119-24, 1968.
- Hawiger, J [Staphylococcal lysozyme. II. Purification of lysozyme produced by Staphylococcus aureus 524. Med Dosw Mikrobiol, 20(1), 1-7, 1968.
- Hawiger, J [Synthesis and lysis of the cell wall of staphylococci. Postepy Hig Med Dosw, 22(2), 223-61, 1968.
- LipiÅ¿ski, B, Hawiger, J, Jeljaszewicz, J Staphylococcal clumping with soluble fibrin mmonomer complexes. J Exp Med, 126(5), 979-88, 1967.