John A. Oates, M.D.
Thomas F Frist, Senior Professor of Medicine (Clinical Pharmacology)
Professor of Pharmacology
Chair Emeritus of the Department of Medicine
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
536 Robinson Research Building
Nashville, TN 37232-6602
Aspirin as an antiplatelet drug for cardioprotection. New therapies for subarachnoid hemorrhage Lipid modification of Amyloid Beta in Alzheimer's disease Platelets in the pathophysiology and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
Our research has focused on the participation of the oxygenated metabolites of arachidonic acid (eicosanoids) in the pathophysiology and treatment of human diseases. One pathway of arachidonic acid oxygenation leads to the formation of prostaglandins and related molecules; the initial step in their formation is catalyzed by one of the two cyclooxygenase enzymes, which are inhibited by aspirin and the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. One of these enzymes, cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), is an inducible enzyme, the biosynthesis of which is stimulated by growth factors, cytokines, and endotoxin, and is inhibited by glucocorticoids.
We are investigating the mechanisms for interindividual variation in the effects of aspirin as an antiplatelet drug employed as a cardioprotective agent. This research is based on our discovery that the irrreversible inhibition of the platelet cycloxygenase-1 is regulated by the redox status of the enzyme. Also under study are the changes in the platelet proteome associated with loss of aspirin's effect on continued administration.
We have found that the delayed vasospasm that can cause severe neurological deficits in subarachnoid hemorrhage is temporally associated with and hypothetically caused by lipid peroxidation resulting from hemoglobin radicals. Our research has identified agents that can inhibit such hemoprotein lcatalyzed ipid peroxidation in vitro and in vivo. We are now investigating a series of hemprotein reductants to determine the compounds most potent in reducing hemoprotein catalyzed lipid peroxidation with the aim of developing a treatment strategy for not only subarachnoid hemorrhage, but also other diseases in which hemoprotein catalyzed lipid peroxidation contributes to the pathophysiology including rhabdomyolysis, myocardial infarction, sickle cell disease, and malaria.
Work on Alzheimer's disease addresses a highly reactive keto-aldehyde product of the cyclooxygenases called levuglandin. We discovered that levuglandins can greatly accelerate the oligomerization of amyloid beta and that the oligomers so formed are neurotoxic. Moreover, we have developed mass spectrometric methods for measuring protein adducts of the levuglandins, and find that they are increased by 12 fold in the brains of patients who died of Alzheimer's disease. W are now working with scavengers of the levuglandins that prevent their reaction with proteins to determine their effects in transgenic mouse models of Alzheimer's disease. Other work addresses mechanisms for decreasing amyloid beta biosynthesis by enhancing cleavage of its precursor protein by the alpha -secretase enzyme.
Clinical Research Description
The participation of the cyclooxygenase enzyme in evolution of highly malignant cancers. Mechanisms determining resistance to aspirin. Methods for assessing activation of platelets in humans. Translational research in subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Jackson, AL, Oates, JA A patient with adult erythermalgia: evidence suggesting an autoimmune etiology. Am J Med Sci, 335(4), 320-2, 2008.
- Bala, M, Chin, CN, Logan, AT, Amin, T, Marnett, LJ, Boutaud, O, Oates, JA Acetylation of prostaglandin H2 synthases by aspirin is inhibited by redox cycling of the peroxidase. Biochem Pharmacol, 75(7), 1472-81, 2008.
- Adler, DH, Cogan, JD, Phillips, JA, Schnetz-Boutaud, N, Milne, GL, Iverson, T, Stein, JA, Brenner, DA, Morrow, JD, Boutaud, O, Oates, JA Inherited human cPLA(2alpha) deficiency is associated with impaired eicosanoid biosynthesis, small intestinal ulceration, and platelet dysfunction. J Clin Invest, 118(6), 2121-31, 2008.
- Babaev, VR, Chew, JD, Ding, L, Davis, S, Breyer, MD, Breyer, RM, Oates, JA, Fazio, S, Linton, MF Macrophage EP4 deficiency increases apoptosis and suppresses early atherosclerosis. Cell Metab, 8(6), 492-501, 2008.
- Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA, Linton, MF, Fazio, S, Meador, BP, Gross, MD, Shyr, Y, Morrow, JD The relationship between dose of vitamin E and suppression of oxidative stress in humans. Free Radic Biol Med, 43(10), 1388-93, 2007.
- Boutaud, O, Montine, TJ, Chang, L, Klein, WL, Oates, JA PGH-derived levuglandin adducts increase the neurotoxicity of amyloid beta1-42. J Neurochem, 96(4), 917-23, 2006.
- Davies, SS, Brantley, EJ, Voziyan, PA, Amarnath, V, Zagol-Ikapitte, I, Boutaud, O, Hudson, BG, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ Pyridoxamine analogues scavenge lipid-derived gamma-ketoaldehydes and protect against H2O2-mediated cytotoxicity. Biochemistry, 45(51), 15756-67, 2006.
- McAdam, BF, Byrne, D, Morrow, JD, Oates, JA Contribution of cyclooxygenase-2 to elevated biosynthesis of thromboxane A2 and prostacyclin in cigarette smokers. Circulation, 112(7), 1024-9, 2005.
- Burleigh, ME, Babaev, VR, Yancey, PG, Major, AS, McCaleb, JL, Oates, JA, Morrow, JD, Fazio, S, Linton, MF Cyclooxygenase-2 promotes early atherosclerotic lesion formation in ApoE-deficient and C57BL/6 mice. J Mol Cell Cardiol, 39(3), 443-52, 2005.
- Boutaud, O, Andreasson, KI, Zagol-Ikapitte, I, Oates, JA Cyclooxygenase-dependent lipid-modification of brain proteins. Brain Pathol, 15(2), 139-42, 2005.
- Burleigh, ME, Babaev, VR, Patel, MB, Crews, BC, Remmel, RP, Morrow, JD, Oates, JA, Marnett, LJ, Fazio, S, Linton, MF Inhibition of cyclooxygenase with indomethacin phenethylamide reduces atherosclerosis in apoE-null mice. Biochem Pharmacol, 70(3), 334-42, 2005.
- Zagol-Ikapitte, I, Masterson, TS, Amarnath, V, Montine, TJ, Andreasson, KI, Boutaud, O, Oates, JA Prostaglandin H(2)-derived adducts of proteins correlate with Alzheimer''s disease severity. J Neurochem, 94(4), 1140-5, 2005.
- Smith, LH, Petrie, MS, Morrow, JD, Oates, JA, Vaughan, DE The sterol response element binding protein regulates cyclooxygenase-2 gene expression in endothelial cells. J Lipid Res, 46(5), 862-71, 2005.
- Zagol-Ikapitte, I, Bernoud-Hubac, N, Amarnath, V, Roberts, LJ, Boutaud, O, Oates, JA Characterization of bis(levuglandinyl) urea derivatives as products of the reaction between prostaglandin H2 and arginine. Biochemistry, 43(18), 5503-10, 2004.
- Brame, CJ, Boutaud, O, Davies, SS, Yang, T, Oates, JA, Roden, D, Roberts, LJ Modification of proteins by isoketal-containing oxidized phospholipids. J Biol Chem, 279(14), 13447-51, 2004.
- Murphey, LJ, Williams, MK, Sanchez, SC, Byrne, LM, Csiki, I, Oates, JA, Johnson, DH, Morrow, JD Quantification of the major urinary metabolite of PGE2 by a liquid chromatographic/mass spectrometric assay: determination of cyclooxygenase-specific PGE2 synthesis in healthy humans and those with lung cancer. Anal Biochem, 334(2), 266-75, 2004.
- Tang, YW, Johnson, JE, Browning, PJ, Cruz-Gervis, RA, Davis, A, Graham, BS, Brigham, KL, Oates, JA, Loyd, JE, Stecenko, AA Herpesvirus DNA is consistently detected in lungs of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. J Clin Microbiol, 41(6), 2633-40, 2003.
- Aronoff, DM, Boutaud, O, Marnett, LJ, Oates, JA Inhibition of prostaglandin H2 synthases by salicylate is dependent on the oxidative state of the enzymes. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 304(2), 589-95, 2003.
- Boutaud, O, Li, J, Zagol, I, Shipp, EA, Davies, SS, Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA Levuglandinyl adducts of proteins are formed via a prostaglandin H2 synthase-dependent pathway after platelet activation. J Biol Chem, 278(19), 16926-8, 2003.
- Sawaoka, H, Dixon, DA, Oates, JA, Boutaud, O Tristetraprolin binds to the 3'-untranslated region of cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA. A polyadenylation variant in a cancer cell line lacks the binding site. J Biol Chem, 278(16), 13928-35, 2003.
- Boutaud, O, Dixon, DA, Oates, JA, Sawaoka, H Tristetraprolin binds to the COX-2 mRNA 3' untranslated region in cancer cells. Adv Exp Med Biol, 525157-60, 2003.
- Burleigh, ME, Babaev, VR, Oates, JA, Harris, RC, Gautam, S, Riendeau, D, Marnett, LJ, Morrow, JD, Fazio, S, Linton, MF Cyclooxygenase-2 promotes early atherosclerotic lesion formation in LDL receptor-deficient mice. Circulation, 105(15), 1816-23, 2002.
- Smith, LH, Boutaud, O, Breyer, M, Morrow, JD, Oates, JA, Vaughan, DE Cyclooxygenase-2-dependent prostacyclin formation is regulated by low density lipoprotein cholesterol in vitro. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 22(6), 983-8, 2002.
- Boutaud, O, Aronoff, DM, Richardson, JH, Marnett, LJ, Oates, JA Determinants of the cellular specificity of acetaminophen as an inhibitor of prostaglandin H(2) synthases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 99(10), 7130-5, 2002.
- Cox, B, Murphey, LJ, Zackert, WE, Chinery, R, Graves-Deal, R, Boutaud, O, Oates, JA, Coffey, RJ, Morrow, JD Human colorectal cancer cells efficiently conjugate the cyclopentenone prostaglandin, prostaglandin J(2), to glutathione. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1584(1), 37-45, 2002.
- Boutaud, O, Ou, JJ, Chaurand, P, Caprioli, RM, Montine, TJ, Oates, JA Prostaglandin H2 (PGH2) accelerates formation of amyloid beta1-42 oligomers. J Neurochem, 82(4), 1003-6, 2002.
- Nakayama T, Soma M, Watanabe Y, Hasimu B, Sato M, Aoi N, Kosuge K, Kanmatsuse K, Kokubun S, Morrow JD, Oates JA "Splicing mutation of the prostacyclin synthase gene in a family associates with hypertension." Biochem biophys res Commun, 297(5), 1135-9, 2002.
- Sheller J, Dworski R, Hagaman D, Oates J, Murray J "The prostaglandin E agonist, misoprostol, inhibits airway IL-5 production in atopic asthmatics." Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat, 70(1-2), 185-93, 2002.
- Boutaud, O, Brame, CJ, Chaurand, P, Li, J, Rowlinson, SW, Crews, BC, Ji, C, Marnett, LJ, Caprioli, RM, Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA Characterization of the lysyl adducts of prostaglandin H-synthases that are derived from oxygenation of arachidonic acid. Biochemistry, 40(23), 6948-55, 2001.
- Boutaud, O, Li, J, Chaurand, P, Brame, CJ, Marnett, LJ, Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA Oxygenation of arachidonic acid by cyclooxygenases generates reactive intermediates that form adducts with proteins. Adv Exp Med Biol, 500133-7, 2001.
- Sheller JR, Mitchell D, Meyrick B, Oates J, Breyer R "EP2 receptor mediates bronchodilation by PGE2 in mice." J Appl Physiol, 882214-2218, 2000.
- Murphey, LJ, Hachey, DL, Oates, JA, Morrow, JD, Brown, NJ Metabolism of bradykinin In vivo in humans: identification of BK1-5 as a stable plasma peptide metabolite. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 294(1), 263-9, 2000.
- Tellioglu T, Oates JA, Biaggioni I "Muchausen's syndrome presenting as a baroreflex failure." N Engl J Med, 343(8), 581, 2000.
- Hartert, TV, Dworski, RT, Mellen, BG, Oates, JA, Murray, JJ, Sheller, JR Prostaglandin E(2) decreases allergen-stimulated release of prostaglandin D(2) in airways of subjects with asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 162(2 Pt 1), 637-40, 2000.
- Dworski, R, Murray, JJ, Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA, Morrow, JD, Fisher, L, Sheller, JR Allergen-induced synthesis of F(2)-isoprostanes in atopic asthmatics. Evidence for oxidant stress. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 160(6), 1947-51, 1999.
- Boutaud, O, Brame, CJ, Salomon, RG, Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA Characterization of the lysyl adducts formed from prostaglandin H2 via the levuglandin pathway. Biochemistry, 38(29), 9389-96, 1999.
- Boutaud, Olivier, Brame, Cynthia J., Salomon, Robert G., Roberts II, Jackson, and Oates, John A "Characterization of the lysyl adducts formed from prostaglandin H2 via the levuglanding pathway." Biochemistry, 38(29), 9389-9396, 1999.
- Goldstein, RE, O'Neill, JA, Holcomb, GW, Morgan, WM, Neblett, WW, Oates, JA, Brown, N, Nadeau, J, Smith, B, Page, DL, Abumrad, NN, Scott, HW Clinical experience over 48 years with pheochromocytoma. Ann Surg, 229(6), 755-64; discussion 764-6, 1999.
- Morrow, JD, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ, Zackert, WE, Mitchell, TA, Lazarus, G, Guzzo, C Increased formation of thromboxane in vivo in humans with mastocytosis. J Invest Dermatol, 113(1), 93-7, 1999.
- Chinery, Rebecca, Coffey, Robert J., Graves-Deal Ramona, Kirkland, Susan C., Sanchez, Stephanie E., Zackert, William, E., Oates, John, Morrow, Jason D "Prostaglandin J2 and 15-deoxy-delta 12, 14- prostaglandin J2 induce proliferation of cyclooxygenase-depleted colorectal cancer cells." Cancer Res , 59(11), 2739-46, 1999.
- Chinery, R, Coffey, RJ, Graves-Deal, R, Kirkland, SC, Sanchez, SC, Zackert, WE, Oates, JA, Morrow, JD Prostaglandin J2 and 15-deoxy-delta12,14-prostaglandin J2 induce proliferation of cyclooxygenase-depleted colorectal cancer cells. Cancer Res, 59(11), 2739-46, 1999.
- Morrow, JD, Zackert, WE, Yang, JP, Kurhts, EH, Callewaert, D, Dworski, R, Kanai, K, Taber, D, Moore, K, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ Quantification of the major urinary metabolite of 15-F2t-isoprostane (8-iso-PGF2alpha) by a stable isotope dilution mass spectrometric assay. Anal Biochem, 269(2), 326-31, 1999.
- Kennedy, Christopher RJ., Zhang, Yahua, Brandon, Suzanne, Guan, Youfei, Coffee, Keith, Funk, Colin D., Magnuson, Mark A., Oates, John, Breyer, Matthew D., and Breyer, Richard M "Salt-sensitive hypertension and reduced fertility in mice lacking the prostaglandin EP2 receptor." Nat Med, 52(2), 217-20, 1999.
- Kennedy, CR, Zhang, Y, Brandon, S, Guan, Y, Coffee, K, Funk, CD, Magnuson, MA, Oates, JA, Breyer, MD, Breyer, RM Salt-sensitive hypertension and reduced fertility in mice lacking the prostaglandin EP2 receptor. Nat Med, 5(2), 217-20, 1999.
- Denney, WD, Kemp, WE, Anthony, LB, Oates, JA, Byrd, BF Echocardiographic and biochemical evaluation of the development and progression of carcinoid heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol, 32(4), 1017-22, 1998.
- Dworski, RT, Funk, CD, Oates, JA, Sheller, JR Prednisone increases PGH-synthase 2 in atopic humans in vivo. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 155(1), 351-7, 1997.
- Roberts, LJ, Moore, KP, Zackert, WE, Oates, JA, Morrow, JD Identification of the major urinary metabolite of the F2-isoprostane 8-iso-prostaglandin F2alpha in humans. J Biol Chem, 271(34), 20617-20, 1996.
- Anthony, LB, May, ME, Oates, JA Case report: lanreotide in the management of hypercalcemia of malignancy. Am J Med Sci, 309(6), 312-4, 1995.
- Morrow, JD, Guzzo, C, Lazarus, G, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ Improved diagnosis of mastocytosis by measurement of the major urinary metabolite of prostaglandin D2. J Invest Dermatol, 104(6), 937-40, 1995.
- Morrow, J.D., Frei, B., Longmire, A.W., Gaziano, J.M., Lynch, S.M., Shyr, Y., Strauss, W.E., Oates, J.A., Roberts, L.J., II "Increase in circulating products of lipid peroxidation (F2-isoprostanes) in smokers: Smoking as a cause of oxidative damage." N Engl J Med , 332(18), 1198-03, 1995.
- Morrow, JD, Frei, B, Longmire, AW, Gaziano, JM, Lynch, SM, Shyr, Y, Strauss, WE, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ Increase in circulating products of lipid peroxidation (F2-isoprostanes) in smokers. Smoking as a cause of oxidative damage. N Engl J Med, 332(18), 1198-203, 1995.
- Oates, JA Introduction: Misoprostol and Eicosanoid Symposium. Am J Ther, 2(9), 591-594, 1995.
- Murray, JJ, Mullins, MD, Knapp, HR, Keller, SL, Serafin, WE, Roberts, LJ, Struthers, BJ, Oates, JA Regulation of the Immune Response by Eicosanoids: Pharmacology and Clinical Effects of Prostaglandin E in Aspirin-Sensitive Syndromes. Am J Ther, 2(10), 739-748, 1995.
- Dworski, R., Fitzgerald, G.A., Oates, J.A., Sheller, J.R "Effect of oral prednisone on airway inflammatory mediators in atopic asthma." Am J Repir Crit Care Med, 149953-959, 1994.
- Morrow, JD, Awad, JA, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ Identification of skin as a major site of prostaglandin D2 release following oral administration of niacin in humans. J Invest Dermatol, 98(5), 812-5, 1992.
- Morrow, JD, Prakash, C, Duckworth, TA, Zackert, WE, Blair, IA, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ A stable isotope dilution mass spectrometric assay for the major urinary metabolite of PGD2. Adv Prostaglandin Thromboxane Leukot Res, 21A315-8, 1991.
- Mosqueda-Garcia, R, Oates, JA, Appalsamy, M, Robertson, D Administration of carbamazepine in the nucleus of the solitary tract inhibits the antihypertensive effect of clonidine. Eur J Pharmacol, 197(2-3), 213-6, 1991.
- Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA Biochemical diagnosis of systemic mast cell disorders. J Invest Dermatol, 96(3), 19S-24S; discussion 24S-25S, 1991.
- Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA Biochemical diagnosis of systemic mast cell disorders. J Invest Dermatol, 96(3 Suppl), 19S-24S; discussion 24S-25S; 60S-65S, 1991.
- Morrow, JD, Prakash, C, Awad, JA, Duckworth, TA, Zackert, WE, Blair, IA, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ Quantification of the major urinary metabolite of prostaglandin D2 by a stable isotope dilution mass spectrometric assay. Anal Biochem, 193(1), 142-8, 1991.
- Legrand, AB, Lawson, JA, Meyrick, BO, Blair, IA, Oates, JA Substitution of 15-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid in the phosphoinositide signaling pathway. J Biol Chem, 266(12), 7570-7, 1991.
- Sebaldt, RJ, Sheller, JR, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ, FitzGerald, GA Inhibition of eicosanoid biosynthesis by glucocorticoids in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 87(18), 6974-8, 1990.
- Murray, JJ, Nowak, J, Oates, JA, FitzGerald, GA Platelet-vessel wall interactions in individuals who smoke cigarettes. Adv Exp Med Biol, 273189-98, 1990.
- Smith, S, Anthony, L, Roberts, LJ, Oates, JA, Pincus, T Resolution of musculoskeletal symptoms in the carcinoid syndrome after treatment with the somatostatin analog octreotide. Ann Intern Med, 112(1), 66-8, 1990.
- Dworski, R, Sheller, JR, Wickersham, NE, Oates, JA, Brigham, KL, Roberts, LJ, Fitzgerald, GA Allergen-stimulated release of mediators into sheep bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. Effect of cyclooxygenase inhibition. Am Rev Respir Dis, 139(1), 46-51, 1989.
- Oates, JA Aspirin in the prevention of catastrophes of the coronary circulation. Adv Prostaglandin Thromboxane Leukot Res, 1957-63, 1989.
- Brash, AR, Yokoyama, C, Oates, JA, Yamamoto, S Mechanistic studies of the dioxygenase and leukotriene synthase activities of the porcine leukocyte 12S-lipoxygenase. Arch Biochem Biophys, 273(2), 414-22, 1989.
- Oates, JA The Jeremiah Metzger lecture. Participation of eicosanoids in the syndromes of myocardial ischemia. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc, 101154-60, 1989.
- Oates, JA Antagonism of antihypertensive drug therapy by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Hypertension, 11(3 Pt 2), II4-6, 1988.
- FitzGerald, GA, Oates, JA, Nowak, J Cigarette smoking and hemostatic function. Am Heart J, 115(1 Pt 2), 267-71, 1988.
- Oates, JA, FitzGerald, GA, Branch, RA, Jackson, EK, Knapp, HR, Roberts, LJ Clinical implications of prostaglandin and thromboxane A2 formation (1). N Engl J Med, 319(11), 689-98, 1988.
- Oates, JA, FitzGerald, GA, Branch, RA, Jackson, EK, Knapp, HR, Roberts, LJ Clinical implications of prostaglandin and thromboxane A2 formation (2). N Engl J Med, 319(12), 761-7, 1988.
- Bruch, JS, Stein, RS, Oates, JA Hypertension complicating essential thrombocythemia. Am J Med Sci, 295(5), 466-8, 1988.
- Parris, WC, Oates, JA, Kambam, J, Shmerling, R, Sawyers, JF Pre-treatment with somatostatin in the anaesthetic management of a patient with carcinoid syndrome. Can J Anaesth, 35(4), 413-6, 1988.
- Brigham, KL, Serafin, W, Zadoff, A, Blair, I, Meyrick, B, Oates, JA Prostaglandin E2 attenuation of sheep lung responses to endotoxin. J Appl Physiol, 64(6), 2568-74, 1988.
- Nowak, J, Murray, JJ, FitzGerald, GA, Wehr, CJ, Hammon, JW, Oates, JA Eicosanoids and sudden cardiac death. Adv Prostaglandin Thromboxane Leukot Res, 17A20-4, 1987.
- Brash, AR, Oates, JA, Yokoyama, C, Yamamoto, S Mechanism of transformation of 15(S)-hydroperoxyeicosatetraenoic acid to 15-series leukotrienes by purified porcine leukocyte 12-lipoxygenase. Adv Prostaglandin Thromboxane Leukot Res, 17A75-7, 1987.
- Scott, HW, Parris, WC, Sandidge, PC, Oates, JA, Roberts, LJ Hazards in operative management of patients with systemic mastocytosis. Ann Surg, 197(5), 507-14, 1983.
- Scott, HW, Reynolds, V, Green, N, Page, D, Oates, JA, Robertson, D, Roberts, S Clinical experience with malignant pheochromocytomas. Surg Gynecol Obstet, 154(6), 801-18, 1982.
- Scott, HW, Dean, RH, Lea, JW, Waterhouse, G, Sussman, C, Robertson, D, Oates, JA Surgical experience with retrogastric and retropancreatic pheochromocytomas. Surgery, 92(5), 853-65, 1982.
- Dean, RH, Oates, JA, Wilson, JP, Rhamy, RK, Hollifield, JW, Burko, H, Foster, JH Bilateral renal artery stenosis and renovascular hypertension. Surgery, 81(1), 53-60; discussion 60-2, 1977.
- Scott, HW, Oates, JA, Nies, AS, Burko, H, Page, DL, Rhamy, RK Pheochromocytoma: present diagnosis and management. Ann Surg, 183(5), 587-93, 1976.
- Tannenbaum J, Splawinski JA, Oates JA, Nies AS "Enhanced renal prostaglandin production in the dog, I: Effects on renal function." Cir res, 36(1), 197-203, 1975.
- Chang LCT, Splawinski JA, Oates JA, Nies AS "Enhanced renal prostaglandin production in the dog, II: Effects on intra-renal hemodynamics." Circ Res, 36(1), 204-7, 1975.
- Danon A, Heimberg M, Oates JA "Enrichment of rat tissue lipids with fatty acids that are prostaglandin precursors." Biochimica et Biophys Acta, 388(3), 318-330, 1975.
- Danon A, Chang LCT, Sweetman BJ, Nies AS, Oates JA "Synthesis of prostaglandins by the rat renal papilla in vitro: Mechanism of stimulation by angiotensin II." Biochimica et Biophys Acta, 388(1), 71-83, 1975.
- Frolich JC, Wilson TW, Sweetman BJ, Smigel M, Nies AS, Carr K, Watson JT, Oates JA "Urinary Prostaglandins: Identification and origin." J Clin Invest, 55(4), 763-70, 1975.
- Frolich JC, Wilson TW, Smigel M, Oates JA "A competitive protein binding assay specific for prostaglandin E." Biochimica et Biophys Acta, 348(2), 241-48, 1974.
- Fann WE, Davis JM, Janowsky DS, Kaufmann JS, Cavanaugh JH, Oates JA "Effect of antidepressant and antimanicc drugs on amine uptake in man." J Nerv & Mental Disease, 158(5), 361-368, 1974.
- Hengstmann JH, Falkner FC, Watson JT, Oates JA "Quantitative determination of guanethidine and other guanido-containg drugs in biological fluids by gas chromatography with flame ionization detection and multiple ion detection." Analytical Chemistry, 4635-39, 1974.
- Bieck PR, Oates JA, Robison GA, Adkins RB "Cyclic AMP in the regulation of gastric secretion in dogs and humans." Am J Physiol, 224(1), 158-64, 1973.
- Watson JT, Pelster DR, Sweetman BJ, Frolich JC, Oates JA "Display-oriented data system for multiple ion detection with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry in quantifying biomedically important compunds." Analytical Chemistry, 45(12), 2071-78, 1973.
- Rangno RE, Kaufmann JS, Cavanaugh JH, Island D, Watson JT, Oates JA "Effects of a false neurotransmitter, p-hydroxynorephedrine, on the function of adrenergic neurons in hypertensive patients." J Clin Invest, 52(4), 952-960, 1973.
- Sweetman BJ, Watson JT, Carr K, Oates JA, Frolich JC "Quantitative vapor-phase analysis of prostaglandin F2α in female human urine." Prostaglandins, 3(3), 385-87, 1973.
- Splawinski JA, Nies AS, Sweetman B, Oates JA "The effects of arachidonic acid, prostaglandin E2 and prostaglandin F2α on the longitudinal stomach strip of the rat." J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 187(3), 501-10, 1973.
- Shand DG, Morgan DH, Oates JA "The release of guanethidine and bethanidine by splenic nerve stimulation: A quantitative evaluation showing dissociation from adrenergic blockade." J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 184(1), 73-80, 1973.
- Gerber N, Lynn R, Oates JA "Acute intoxication with 5,5-diphenyl-hydantoin (Dilantin) associated with impairment of biotransformation." Ann Intern Med, 77765-771, 1972.
- Griffith JD, Cavanaugh J, Held J, Oates JA "Dextroamphetamine: Evaluation of psychotominetic properties in man." Arch Gen Psychiatry, 26(2), 97-100, 1972.
- Fann WE, Davis JM, Janowsky DS, Kaufmann JS, Griffith JD, Oates JA "Effect of iprindole on amine uptake in man." Arch Gen Psychiatry, 26(2), 158-162, 1972.
- Fann WE, Davis JM, Janowsky DS, Cavanaugh JH, Kaufmann JS, Griffith JD, Oates JA "Effects of lithium on adrenergic function in man." Clin Pharmacol Ther, 13(1), 71-77, 1972.
- Klatte EC, Babb OW, Burko H, Foster JH, Rhamy RK, Oates JA "The roentgenographic pre and postoperative assessment of patients with renovascular disease." Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med, 114(4), 696-709, 1972.
- McAllister RG Jr, Michelakis AM, Oates JA, Foster JH "malignant hypertension due to renal artery stenosis. Greater renin release from the nonstenotic kidney." JAMA, 221(8), 865-68, 1972.
- Fan WE, Janowsky DS, Davis JM, Oates JA "Chlorpromazine reversal of the antihypertensive action of quanethidine." Lancet, 2(721), 436-437, 1971.
- Klatte EC, Worrell JA, Foster JH, Phamy RK, Burko H, Michelakis AM, Oates JA "Diagnostic criteria of bilateral renovascular hypertension." Radiology, 101(2), 301-4, 1971.
- "Effects on transport of biogenic amines in man." Psychopharmacologica, 22(2), 111-25, 1971.
- Shand DG, Sell CG, Oates JA "Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy in an infant:Propranolol therapy for 3 years." N Engl J med, 285(15), 843-44, 1971.
- McAllister RG Jr, Van Way CW III, Dayani K, Anderson WJ, Temple E, Michelakis AM, Coppage WS Jr, Oates JA "Malignant hypertension:Effect of therapy on renin and aldosterone." Circ Res Suppl, 28(5), Sppl 2:160-74, 1971.
- Shand DG, Cavanaugh JH, Oates JA "The fate of SU-13197, a new antiarrhythmic drug, in rat and man." Clin Pharmacol Ther, 12(5), 769-78, 1971.
- Shand DG, Oates JA "metabolism of propranolol by rat liver microsomes and its inhibition by phenothiazine and tricyclic antidepressant drugs." Biochem pharmacol, 20(7), 1720-23, 1971.
- Cavanaugh JH, Griffith JD, Oates JA "Effect of amphetamine on the pressor response to tyramine:Formation of p-hydroxynorephedrine from amphetamine in man." Clin Pharmacol Ther, 11(5), 656-664, 1970.
- Morgan DH, Oates JA, Shand DG "Evidence that quanethidine does not block adrenergic nerves by acting as a false transmitter." Br J pharmacol, 39(1), 186P-187P, 1970.
- Mitchell JR, Cavanaugh JH, Dingell JV, Oates JA "Guanethidine and related agents: II. Metabolism by hepatic microsomes and its inhibition by drugs." J Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics, 172108-114, 1970.
- Mitchell JR, Cavanaugh JH, Arias L, Oates JA "Guanethidine and related agents: III. Antagonism by drugs which inhibit the norepinephrine pump in man." J Clin Invest, 49(8), 1596-1604, 1970.
- Mitchell JR, Oates JA "Guanethidine and related agents:I. Mechanism of the selective blockade of adrenergic neurons and its antagonism by drugs." J Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics, 172100-107, 1970.
- Shand DG, Nuckolls EM, Oates JA "Plasma propranolol levels in adults with observations in four children." Clin Pharmacol Ther, 11112-120, 1970.
- Flegin OT, Morgan DH, Oates JA, Shand DG "The mechanism of the reversal of the effect of quanethidine by amphetamines in cat and man." Br J Pharm, 39253P-254P, 1970.
- Oates JA, Fann WE, Cavanaugh JH "Effect of doxepin on the norepinephrine pump." Psychosomatics, 10(3), 12-13, 1969.
- Foster JH, Rhamy RK, Oates JA, Klatte EC, Burko HC, Michelakis AM "Hypertension and fibromuscular dysplasia of the renal arteries." Surgery, 65157-181, 1969.
- Foster JH, Phamy RK, Oates JA, Klatte EC, Burko HC, Michelakis AM "Renovascular hypertension secondary to atherosclerosis." Am J Med, 46(5), 741-750, 1969.
- Van Way CW, Anderson WJ, Michelaskis AM, Manlove A, Oates JA "The role of renin in coarctation of the aorta." Surg Forum, 20207-209, 1969.
- Malmquist J, Oates JA "Effects of adrenergic neuron-blocking quanidine derivatives on mitochondrial metabolism." Biochem Pharmacol, 17(9), 1845-1854, 1968.
- Pettinger WA, Soyangco FG, Oates JA "Inhibition of monoamine oxidase in man by furazolidone." Clin Pharmacol Therap, 9442-447, 1968.
- DesPrez RM, Oates JA "Lack of relationship of febrile response to endotoxin and brain stem 5-hydroxytryptamine." Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 127793-794, 1968.
- Pettinger WA, OatesJA "Supersensitivity to tyramine during monoamine oxidase inhibition in man." Clin Pharmacol Therap, 9341-344, 1968.
- Mitchell JR, Arias L, Oates JA "Antagonism of the antihypertensive action of quanethidine sulfate by desipramine hydrochloride." JAMA, 202(10), 973-976, 1967.
- Zachariae H, malmquist J, Oates JA, Pettinger W "Studies on mechanism of kinin formation in inflammation." J Physiol, 19081-90, 1967.
- Foster JH, Oates JA, Rhamy RK, Klatte EC, Pettinger WA, Burko H, Younger RK, Scott HW Jr "Detection and treatment of patients with renovascular hypertension." Surgery, 60240-252, 1966.
- Zachariae H, Oates JA "Effect of pH on an experimental kinin forming system in rat subcutaneous tissue." J Invest Dermatol, 47493-496, 1966.
- Oates JA, Pettinger WA, Doctor RB "Evidence for the release of bradykinin in carcinoid syndrome." J Clin Invest, 45(2), 173-178, 1966.
- DesPrez R, Helman R, Oates JA "Inhibition of endotoxin fever by reserpine." Proc Soc Exp Biol and Med, 122746-749, 1966.
- Zachariae H, Malmquist J, Oates JA "Kininase in himan polymorphonuclear leukocytes." Life Sciences, 52347-2355, 1966.
- Foster JH, Pettinger WA, Oates JA, Rhamy RK, Klatte EC, Burko HC, Bolasny BL, Gordon RD, Puyau FA, Younger BS "Malignant hypertension secondary to renal artery stenosis in children." Ann Surgery, 164(4), 700-713, 1966.
- Oates JA, Seligmann AW, Clark MA, Rousseau P, Lee RE "The relative efficacy of quanethidine, methylodopa and pargyline as antihypertensive agents." N Engl J Med, 273(14), 729-734, 1965.
- Melmon KL, Sjoerdsma A, Oates JA, Laster L "Treatment of malabsorption and diarrhea of the carcinoid sundrome with methysergide." Gastroenterology, 48(1), 18, 1965.
- Melmon KL, Rivlin R, Oates JA, Sjoerdsma A "Further studies of plasma tyrosine in patients with altered thyroid function." J Clin Endocrinol and Metab, 24(8), 691-698, 1964.
- Hodge JV, Oates JA, Sjoerdsma A "Reduction of the central effects of tryptophan by a decarboxylase inhibitor." Clin Pharmacol Ther, 5(2), 149-155, 1964.
- Oates JA, Melmon K, Sjoerdsma A, Gillespie L, Mason DT "Release of a kinin peptide in the carcinoid syndrome." Lancet, 1(1), 514-17, 1964.
- Oates JA, Nirenberg PA, Jepson JB, Sjoerdsma A, Udenfriend S "Conversation of phenylalamine to phenethylamine in patients with phenylketonuria." Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 1121078, 1963.
- Oates JA, Sjoerdsma A "A unique syndrome associated with secretion of 5-hydroxytryptophan by metastatic gastric carcinoids." Am J Med, 32333, 1962.
- Gillespie L, Oates JA, Crout JR, Sjoerdsma A "Clinical and chemical studies with α-methyldopa in patients with hypertension." Circulation, 25281, 1962.
- Oates JA, Marsh EB, Sjoerdsma A "Studies on histamine in himan urine using a fluorometric method of assay." Clin Chem Acta, 7488, 1962.
- Levine RJ, Oates JA, Vendsalu A, Sjoerdsma A "Studies on the metabolism of aromatic amines in relation to altered thyroid function in man." J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 221242, 1962.
- Pisano JJ, Oates JA, Karmen A, Sjoerdsma A, Udenfriend S "Identification of P-hydroxy-α-(methylaminomethyl) benzyl alcohol (synephrine) in human urine." J Biol Chem, 236898, 1961.
- Oates JA, Sjoerdsma A "Metabolism of 5-hydroxy-D-and L-tryptophan in man:Synthesis of serotonin from the D-isomer." Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 108264, 1961.
- Jepson JB, Lovenberg W, Zaltzman P, Oates JA, Sjoerdsma A, Udenfriend S "Amine metabolism studies in normal and phenylketonuric humans by monoamine oxidase inhibition." Biochem J, 745P, 1960.
- Oates JA, Gillespie L, Udenfriend S, Sjoerdsma "Amino acid decarboxylase inhibition and blood pressure reduction in man by α-methyldopa." Science, 1311890-91, 1960.
- Oates JA, Sjoerdsma A "Neurologic effects of tryptophan in patients receiving a monoamine oxidase inhibitor." Neurology, 10(12), 1076-78, 1960.
- Sjoerdsma A, Oates JA, Gillespie L "Quantification of monoamine oxidase inhibition produced by various drugs in man." Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 103485, 1960.
- Sjoerdsma A, Oates JA, Zaltzman P, Udenfriend S "Serotonin synthesis in carcinoid patients: Its inhibition by α-methyldopa with measurement of associated increases in urinary 5-hydroxytryptophan." New Engl J Med, 263585, 1960.
- Sjoerdsma A, Lovenberg W, Oates JA, Crout JR, Udenfriend S "Alterations in the pattern of amine excretion in man produced by a monamine oxidase inhibitor." Science, 130225, 1959.
- Sjoerdsma A, Oates JA, Zaltzman P, Udenfriend S "Identification and assay of urinary tryptamine: Application as an index of monamine oxidase inhibition in man." JPET, 126:217, 1959.
- Artom C, Lofland HB, Oates JA "In vivo incorporation of diethanolamine into liver lipids." J Biol Chem, 233833, 1958.