Jordan D. Berlin, M.D.
Co-Leader, Gastrointestinal Cancer Research Program
Ingram Professor of Cancer Research
Professor of Medicine (Hematology/Oncology)
Director, Phase I Program
- Clinical Trials Information
- Clinical Trials: 1-800-811-8480
- Online Self-Referral Form
- Other Telephone NumbersHenry-Joyce Cancer Clinic
615-936-8422 or 1-877-936-8422
- FaxesHenry-Joyce Cancer Clinic Fax
Henry-Joyce Cancer Clinic
1301 Medical Center Drive, Suite 1710
Nashville, Tennessee 37232-7415
2220 Pierce Avenue
777 Preston Building
Nashville, TN 37232-6307
Jordan Berlin, M.D, is a medical oncologist who specializes in gastrointestinal cancers and investigational drug development (Phase I). In his roles as the Co-Leader of the Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancer Research Program and Director of Phase I Research at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, Dr.
Jordan Berlin, M.D, is a medical oncologist who specializes in gastrointestinal cancers and investigational drug development (Phase I). In his roles as the Co-Leader of the Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancer Research Program and Director of Phase I Research at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, Dr. Berlin serves to coordinate clinical and translational efforts across the cancer center from the research programs to the phase I program as well as from within the GI program labs to GI program clinical trials. He is responsible for advancing preclinical data and investigational drugs to investigator-initiated trials and clinical evaluation. Dr. Berlin has extensive experience designing investigator-initiated and cooperative group trials as well as experience advising the pharmaceutical industry on trial design and development. Dr. Berlin is the PI of the VICC National Clinical Trials Network Lead Academic Participating Site Grant and the VICC PI of the VIKTriY multi-site UM1 grant led overall by Pat LoRusso at Yale Cancer Center. Additionally, as the immediate-past Medical Director of the Clinical Trials Shared Resource (CTSR), he mentors several junior investigators in phase I and GI malignancies and continues to mentor Vicki Keedy, M.D. in her role as current Medical Director of the CTSR.
- University of Illinois, B.S. (Biochemistry), 1985
- University of Illinois, M.D., 1989
- Internship/Residency - Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati Hospital, 1992
- Fellowship, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics; University of Cincinnati Hospital, 1995
- Ellis, LM, Bernstein, DS, Voest, EE, Berlin, JD, Sargent, D, Cortazar, P, Garrett-Mayer, E, Herbst, RS, Lilenbaum, RC, Sima, C, Venook, AP, Gonen, M, Schilsky, RL, Meropol, NJ, Schnipper, LE American Society of Clinical Oncology perspective: Raising the bar for clinical trials by defining clinically meaningful outcomes. J Clin Oncol, 32(12), 1277-80, 2014.
- Johnson, DB, Dahlman, KH, Knol, J, Gilbert, J, Puzanov, I, Means-Powell, J, Balko, JM, Lovly, CM, Murphy, BA, Goff, LW, Abramson, VG, Crispens, MA, Mayer, IA, Berlin, JD, Horn, L, Keedy, VL, Reddy, NM, Arteaga, CL, Sosman, JA, Pao, W Enabling a genetically informed approach to cancer medicine: a retrospective evaluation of the impact of comprehensive tumor profiling using a targeted next-generation sequencing panel. Oncologist, 19(6), 616-22, 2014.
- Goff, LW, Thakkar, N, Du, L, Chan, E, Tan, BR, Cardin, DB, McLeod, HL, Berlin, JD, Zehnbauer, B, Fournier, C, Picus, J, Wang-Gillam, A, Lee, W, Lockhart, AC Thymidylate synthase genotype-directed chemotherapy for patients with gastric and gastroesophageal junction cancers. PLoS One, 9(9), e107424, 2014.
- Cardin, DB, Berlin, JD Pancreas cancer on the rise: are we up to the challenge. J Natl Cancer Inst, 105(22), 1675-6, 2013.
- Goff, LW, Berlin, JD Advanced biliary tract cancers. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book, 281-2, 2012.
- Goff, LW, Benson, AB, LoRusso, PM, Tan, AR, Berlin, JD, Denis, LJ, Benner, RJ, Yin, D, Rothenberg, ML Phase I study of oral irinotecan as a single-agent and given sequentially with capecitabine. Invest New Drugs, 30(1), 290-8, 2012.
- Chan, E, Lafleur, B, Rothenberg, ML, Merchant, N, Lockhart, AC, Trivedi, B, Chung, CH, Coffey, RJ, Berlin, JD Dual blockade of the EGFR and COX-2 pathways: a phase II trial of cetuximab and celecoxib in patients with chemotherapy refractory metastatic colorectal cancer. Am J Clin Oncol, 34(6), 581-6, 2011.
- Puzanov, I, Lee, W, Chen, AP, Calcutt, MW, Hachey, DL, Vermeulen, WL, Spanswick, VJ, Liao, CY, Hartley, JA, Berlin, JD, Rothenberg, ML Phase I pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of SJG-136, a novel DNA sequence selective minor groove cross-linking agent, in advanced solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res, 17(11), 3794-802, 2011.
- Castellanos, EH, Cardin, DB, Berlin, JD Treatment of early-stage pancreatic cancer. Oncology (Williston Park), 25(2), 182-9, 2011.
- Backlund, DC, Berlin, JD, Parikh, AA Update on adjuvant trials for pancreatic cancer. Surg Oncol Clin N Am, 19(2), 391-409, 2010.
- Strickland, SA, Berlin, JD Hiccups: underappreciated and underrecognized. J Support Oncol, 7(4), 128-9, 2009.
- Bauer, TM, Berlin, JD A 17 year-old man with an exon 11 mutation of CD-117 causing a gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Cancer Invest, 26(2), 182-4, 2008.
- Goff, LW, Rothenberg, ML, Lockhart, AC, Roth, BJ, VerMeulen, WL, Chan, E, Berlin, JD A phase I trial of irinotecan alternating with epirubicin in patients with advanced malignancies. Am J Clin Oncol, 31(5), 413-6, 2008.
- Stover, DG, Lockhart, AC, Berlin, JD, Chan, E, Sandler, AB, Sosman, JA, Middlebrook, V, Nicol, S, Rothenberg, ML Phase I trial of pemetrexed plus oxaliplatin administered every other week in patients with metastatic cancer. Invest New Drugs, 26(4), 339-45, 2008.
- Berlin, JD, Venook, A, Bergsland, E, Rothenberg, M, Lockhart, AC, Rosen, L Phase II trial of T138067, a novel microtubule inhibitor, in patients with metastatic, refractory colorectal carcinoma. Clin Colorectal Cancer, 7(1), 44-7, 2008.
- Berlin, JD Adjuvant therapy for pancreatic cancer: to treat or not to treat. Oncology (Williston Park), 21(6), 712-8; discussion 720, 725-6, 730, 2007.
- Chan, E, Berlin, JD Controversies in the adjuvant treatment of pancreas cancer: a lack of knowledge or simply a lack of will. Gastrointest Cancer Res, 1(5), 204-6, 2007.
- Lockhart, AC, Cropp, GF, Berlin, JD, Donnelly, E, Schumaker, RD, Schaaf, LJ, Hande, KR, Fleischer, AC, Hannah, AL, Rothenberg, ML Phase I/pilot study of SU5416 (semaxinib) in combination with irinotecan/bolus 5-FU/LV (IFL) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Am J Clin Oncol, 29(2), 109-15, 2006.
- Rothenberg, ML, LaFleur, B, Levy, DE, Washington, MK, Morgan-Meadows, SL, Ramanathan, RK, Berlin, JD, Benson, AB, Coffey, RJ Randomized phase II trial of the clinical and biological effects of two dose levels of gefitinib in patients with recurrent colorectal adenocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol, 23(36), 9265-74, 2005.
- Lockhart, AC, Lockhart, C, Berlin, JD The epidermal growth factor receptor as a target for colorectal cancer therapy. Semin Oncol, 32(1), 52-60, 2005.
- Lockhart, AC, Rothenberg, ML, Berlin, JD Treatment for pancreatic cancer: current therapy and continued progress. Gastroenterology, 128(6), 1642-54, 2005.
- Lockhart, AC, Howard, M, Hande, KR, Roth, BJ, Berlin, JD, Vreeland, F, Campbell, A, Fontana, E, Fiorentini, F, Fowst, C, Paty, VA, Lankford, O, Rothenberg, ML A phase I dose-escalation and pharmacokinetic study of brostallicin (PNU-166196A), a novel DNA minor groove binder, in adult patients with advanced solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res, 10(2), 468-75, 2004.
- Berlin, JD Current and future strategies for treating metastatic pancreatic cancer. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol, 2(8), 510-2, 2004.
- Tedesco, KL, Lockhart, AC, Berlin, JD The epidermal growth factor receptor as a target for gastrointestinal cancer therapy. Curr Treat Options Oncol, 5(5), 393-403, 2004.
- Berlin JD, Rothenberg ML "Chemotherapeutic Advances in Pancreatic Cancer." Curr Oncol Rep, (In Press), 2003.
- Meadows SM, Mulkerin D, Berlin J, Kolesar J, Warren D, Thomas JP "Phase II Trial of Perillyl Alcohol in Patients with Metastatic Colorectal Cancer." International Journal GI Cancer, (In Press), 2003.
- Rothenberg M, Oza AM, Bigelow RH, Berlin JD, Marshall J, Ramanathan RK, Hart LL, Gupta S, Garay CA, Burger BG, Le Bail N, Haller DG "Superiority of Oxaliplatin + Bolus & Infusional 5-FU/Leucovorin Over Either Therapy Alone in Patients with Progressive Colorectal Cancer Following Irinotecan + Bolus 5-FU/Leucovorin: Interim Results of a Phase III Trial." J Clin Oncology, (In Press), 2003.
- Rothenberg, ML, Oza, AM, Bigelow, RH, Berlin, JD, Marshall, JL, Ramanathan, RK, Hart, LL, Gupta, S, Garay, CA, Burger, BG, Le Bail, N, Haller, DG Superiority of oxaliplatin and fluorouracil-leucovorin compared with either therapy alone in patients with progressive colorectal cancer after irinotecan and fluorouracil-leucovorin: interim results of a phase III trial. J Clin Oncol, 21(11), 2059-69, 2003.
- Liu G, Berlin J, Tutsch KD, Van Ummersen L, Dresen A, Marnocha R, Arzoomanian R, Alberti D, Feierabend C, Binger K, and Wilding G "Phase I Clinical and Pharmacokinetic Study of Oral Penclomedine (NSC 338720) in Adults with Advanced Solid Malignancy." Clin Cancer Res, (8), 706-711, 2002.
- Berlin JD, Tutsch KD, Arzoomanian RZ, Alberti D, Binger, Feierabend C, Dresen A, Marnocha R, Pluda J, and Wilding G "Phase I and Pharmacokinetic Study of a Micronized Formulation of Carboxyamidotriazole (CAI), a Calcium Signal Transduction Inhibitor: Toxicity, Bioavailability and the Effect of Food." Clin Cancer Res, (8), 86-94, 2002.
- Meadows S, Thomas JP, Mulkerin D, Berlin JD, Bailey H, Binger K, Volkman J, Alberti D, Feierabend C, Marrocha R, Arzoomanian RZ, Wilding G "Phase I study of Eniluracil, Oral 5-Fluorouracil and Gemcitabine in Patients with Advanced Malignancy." Inv New Drugs, (20), 377-387, 2002.
- Berlin JD, Catalano P, Thomas JP, Kugler JW, Haller DG and Benson III AB "Phase III Study of Gemcitabine in Combination with Fluorouracil Versus Gemcitabine Alone in Patients with Advanced Pancreatic Carcinoma: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Trial E2297." J Clin Onc, (20), 3270-3275, 2002.
- Berlin JD "Targeting Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor in Colon Cancer." Oncology, (16), 13-15, 2002.
- Blanke CD, Haller DG, Benson AB, Rothenberg ML, Berlin J, Mori M, Hsieh Y, Miller LL "A Phase II Study of Irinotecan with 5-fluorouracil and Leucovorinin Patients with Previously Untreated Gastric Adenocarcinoma." Ann Oncol, (12), 1575-80, 2001.
- Berlin JD, Rothenberg ML "Chemotherapy for Resectable and Advanced Pancratic Cancer." Oncology, (15), 1241-48, 2001.
- Berlin JD "New Directions in the Treatment of Advanced Colorectal Cancer." Oncology, (15), 27-30, 2001.
- Berlin J, Adak S, Vaughn DJ, Flinker D, Blaszkowsky L, Harris JE, and Benson III AB "A Phase II Study of Gemcitabine and 5-Fluorouracil in Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer: An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study (E3296)." Oncology, (58), 215-218, 2000.
- Talamonti MS, Catalano PJ, Vaughn DJ, Whittington R, Beauchamp RD, Berlin J, Benson III AB "An ECOG Phase I Trial of Protracted Venous Infusion 5-fluorouracil Plus Weekly Gemcitabine With Concurrent Radiation Therapy in Patients with Locally Advanced Pancreas Cancer: A Regimen With Unexpected Early Toxicity." J Clin Onc, (18), 3384-3389, 2000.
- Berlin JD "Second-Line Therapy in Colorectal Cancer." Oncology, (14), 21-26, 2000.
- Berlin J, Alberti D, Arzoomanian R, Feierabend C, Simon K, Morgan K, and Wilding G "A Phase I Study of Gemcitabine, 5-fluorouracil and Leucovorin in Patients with Advanced, Recurrent, and/or Metastatic Solid Tumors." Invest New Drugs, (16), 325-330, 1999.
- Berlin J "Gemcitabine." Clinical Perspectives in Gastroenterology, (2), 106-11, 1999.
- Berlin J, Merrick HW, Smith TJ, Lerner H "Phase II Evaluation of Treatment of Hepatic Metastases from Colorectal Cancer and Adjuvant Hepatic Arterial Infusion of Floxuridine: An Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupStudy (PB083)." Am J Clin Oncol (CCT), 3(22), 291-293, 1999.
- Kolesar JK, Johnson C, Freeberg BL, Berlin JD, and Schiller JH "Warfarin-5FU Drug Interaction-A Consecutive Case Series." Pharmacotherapy, 12(19), 1445-49, 1999.
- Berlin J, Theisen J, Marnocha R "Gemcitabine (Gemzar) (7) CanceRx7:." On Drugs and Therapeutics, (1), 202-4, 1998.
- Berlin J, Stewart JA, Storer B, Tutsch KD, Arzoomanian RZ, Alberti D, Feierabend C, Simon K, and Wilding G "Phase I Cliical and Pharmacokinetic Trial of Penclomedine Utilizing a Novel, Two-Stage Trial Design." J Clin Oncol, (16), 1142-9, 1998.
- Berlin J, Propert K, Trump D, Wilding G, Hudes G, Glick J, Burch P, Keller A, Loehrer P "Phase II Study of 5-Fluorouracil and Leucovorin Therapy in Patients with Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer: An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study (E1889)." Amer J Clin Oncol-Cancer Clin Trials, (21), 171-6, 1998.
- Berlin J, Tutsch KD, Hutson P, Cleary J, Rago RP, Zoomanian RZ, Alberti D, Feierabend C, Wilding G "Phase I Clinical and Pharmacokinetic Study of Oral Carboxyamidotriazole (CAI), a Signal Transduction Inhibitor." J Clin Oncol, (15), 781-789, 1997.
- Schiller JH, Storer B, Berlin J, Wittenkeller J, Larson M, Pharo L, Berry W "Amifostine, Cisplatin and Vinblastine in Metastatic Nonsmall Cell Lung Cancer: A Report of High Response Rates and Prolonged Survival." J Clin Oncol, 141913-1921, 1996.
- Berlin J, King AC, Tutsch K, Findlay JW, Kohler P, Collier M, Clendennin NJ, Wilding G "A Phase II study of vinblastine in combination with acrivastine in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma." Invest New Drugs, 12137-141, 1994.