Mark R. Boothby, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine (Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
AA-4214B Medical Center North
Nashville, TN 37232-2363
Signaling and gene regulation mechanisms in immune system hematopoietic cells, especially those of B and T lymphoid lineages. Lymphoid lineage cells are the most central means of regulating characteristics of immunity and auto-immunity, and they also are vital in the inflammation and pathophysiology of most of the main disease burden in the US (atherosclerotic vascular disease with heart attacks and strokes, obesity, diabetes, and cancer), The lab seeks to identify new signal transduction, transcription, and chromatin or epigenetic ways in which lymphoid lineage cells are regulated, with active investigations in immunity, auto-immunity (autoimmunity) and the ways in which sustained antibody responses are evoked since antibody levels are crucial in the efficacy of vaccines and are key components in a variety of autoimmune diseases.
We investigate mechanisms by which signaling and transcription factors regulate cell growth, differentiation, and survival. The lab dissects these questions through an integration of genetic manipulations, biochemical studies, and analyses of function in immunity.
Potential projects (2013):
1. Investigation of a novel protein cloned in the lab, which enhances the function of a transcription factor central to allergic diseases and asthma. We are using knockout mice deficient in this cofactor, a novel ADP-ribosyltransferase, to explore how this protein impacts signaling to the regulation of programmed cell death, cellular metabolism, B lymphoma pathophysiology (because of connections to a related protein affecting the outcome of lymphocyte cancers), and the impact of this protein on vaccination and immunity to pathogens.
2. Signaling and immune function mediated by the Akt / mTOR axis of serine-threonine kinases. We have identified evidence of an important role for a novel complex involving the kinase mTOR - "mammalian target of rapamycin" (rapamycin being an important immune suppressant drug) - in T cell differentiation and are dissecting molecular mechanisms involved in these findings as well as impact on leukemia development and on immunity, including T cell memory, B cell development and function in models of vaccination and anti-pathogen immunity, and in autoimmunity.
3. Regulation of cytokine gene transcription. Studies of particular excitement at present include working to understand the molecular and epigenetic basis for two processes we have identified for immunological memory as carried by cells in the T helper 2 subset.
One major focus is on the differentiation of naive T helper lymphocytes into activated cells that have acquired effector functions, i.e., the ability to express new genes that orchestrate immune responses. One subset of effector T helper cells is called the Th2 subset. Differentiation into Th2 effectors is driven by the cytokine IL-4, so one major area of study in the lab is the transduction of signals by the IL-4 receptor and the means by which IL-4 regulates gene transcription. We cloned and knocked out a gene encoding a novel protein that enhances IL-4 induction of transcription and pro-survival signaling. Future studies will include determining the biochemical and function roles of this novel transcriptional coregulator.
We recently discovered that memory Th2 cells permit an unexpected flexibility in regulation of the Th1 cytokine gene for IFN-gamma while at the same time retaining commitment to expression of the characteristic Th2 cytokine genes (IL-4, IL-5, and IL-13). We will dissect molecular mechanisms for both flexibility and commitment, using analyses of transcription factor knockouts as well as of chromatin (epigenetic DNA methylation as well as histone modifications).
A second class of effector T cells is known as the Th1 subset, of which a hallmark is the activation of the gene encoding the inflammatory cytokine interferon-gamma. We dicsoveredthat the transcription factor NF-kappaB is particularly important in the Th1 response but not in responses mediated by Th2 cells, and have identified an orderly sequence of molecular events leading to remodeling of the IFN-gamma promoter. Using analyses of chromatin modifications and structure in the interferon gamma locus, we are in the process of determining the mechanisms by which the gene is regulated in primary T helper subsets, memory CD4 cells, and exploring the impact of these processes on differentiation of another autoimmunity-promoting class of T cells (Th17 cells).
Finally, we are in the midst of developing exciting data for both T and B lymphocytes in relation to the signaling pathways described above and dissecting how these pathways impact the generation and persistence of antibody-producing cells and immune memory.
- Wang, S, Amato, KR, Song, W, Youngblood, V, Lee, K, Boothby, M, Brantley-Sieders, DM, Chen, J Regulation of Endothelial Cell Proliferation and Vascular Assembly through Distinct mTORC2 Signaling Pathways. Mol Cell Biol, 2015.
- Yang, J, Hawkins, OE, Barham, W, Gilchuk, P, Boothby, M, Ayers, GD, Joyce, S, Karin, M, Yull, FE, Richmond, A Myeloid IKK¿¿ Promotes Antitumor Immunity by Modulating CCL11 and the Innate Immune Response. Cancer Res, 74(24), 7274-84, 2014.
- Iqbal, MB, Johns, M, Cao, J, Liu, Y, Yu, SC, Hyde, GD, Laffan, MA, Marchese, FP, Cho, SH, Clark, AR, Gavins, FN, Woollard, KJ, Blackshear, PJ, Mackman, N, Dean, JL, Boothby, M, Haskard, DO PARP-14 combines with tristetraprolin in the selective posttranscriptional control of macrophage tissue factor expression. Blood, 124(24), 3646-55, 2014.
- Marcais, A, Blevins, R, Graumann, J, Feytout, A, Dharmalingam, G, Carroll, T, Amado, IF, Bruno, L, Lee, K, Walzer, T, Mann, M, Freitas, AA, Boothby, M, Fisher, AG, Merkenschlager, M microRNA-mediated regulation of mTOR complex components facilitates discrimination between activation and anergy in CD4 T cells. J Exp Med, 211(11), 2281-95, 2014.
- Cho, SH, Raybuck, A, Wei, M, Erickson, J, Nam, KT, Cox, RG, Trochtenberg, A, Thomas, JW, Williams, J, Boothby, M B cell-intrinsic and -extrinsic regulation of antibody responses by PARP14, an intracellular (ADP-ribosyl)transferase. J Immunol, 191(6), 3169-78, 2013.
- Lee, K, Boyd, KL, Parekh, DV, Kehl-Fie, TE, Baldwin, HS, Brakebusch, C, Skaar, EP, Boothby, M, Zent, R Cdc42 promotes host defenses against fatal infection. Infect Immun, 81(8), 2714-23, 2013.
- Lee, K, Heffington, L, Jellusova, J, Nam, KT, Raybuck, A, Cho, SH, Thomas, JW, Rickert, RC, Boothby, M Requirement for Rictor in homeostasis and function of mature B lymphoid cells. Blood, 122(14), 2369-79, 2013.
- Williams, CL, Schilling, MM, Cho, SH, Lee, K, Wei, M, Aditi, , Boothby, M STAT4 and T-bet are required for the plasticity of IFN-¿¿ expression across Th2 ontogeny and influence changes in Ifng promoter DNA methylation. J Immunol, 191(2), 678-87, 2013.
- Collier, SP, Collins, PL, Williams, CL, Boothby, MR, Aune, TM Cutting edge: influence of Tmevpg1, a long intergenic noncoding RNA, on the expression of Ifng by Th1 cells. J Immunol, 189(5), 2084-8, 2012.
- Zhuang, G, Song, W, Amato, K, Hwang, Y, Lee, K, Boothby, M, Ye, F, Guo, Y, Shyr, Y, Lin, L, Carbone, DP, Brantley-Sieders, DM, Chen, J Effects of cancer-associated EPHA3 mutations on lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 104(15), 1182-97, 2012.
- Volanakis, EJ, Boothby, MR, Sherr, CJ Epigenetic regulation of the Ink4a-Arf (Cdkn2a) tumor suppressor locus in the initiation and progression of Notch1 driven T-ALL. Exp Hematol, 2012.
- Yang, J, Kantrow, S, Sai, J, Hawkins, OE, Boothby, M, Ayers, GD, Young, ED, Demicco, EG, Lazar, AJ, Lev, D, Richmond, A Ikk4a/Arf inactivation with activation of the NF-¿¿B/IL-6 pathway is sufficient to drive the development and growth of angiosarcoma. Cancer Res, 72(18), 4682-95, 2012.
- Boothby, M NIH Portfolio Allocation, Lemmings, and the Silent Spring: A Time-Capsule Commentary & Its Update. F1000Res, 15, 2012.
- Boothby, M, Williams, CL The goldilocks effect. Sci Transl Med, 4(163), 163fs42, 2012.
- Lee, K, Nam, KT, Cho, SH, Gudapati, P, Hwang, Y, Park, DS, Potter, R, Chen, J, Volanakis, E, Boothby, M Vital roles of mTOR complex 2 in Notch-driven thymocyte differentiation and leukemia. J Exp Med, 209(4), 713-28, 2012.
- Dunaway, CM, Hwang, Y, Lindsley, CW, Cook, RS, Wu, JY, Boothby, M, Chen, J, Brantley-Sieders, DM Cooperative signaling between Slit2 and Ephrin-A1 regulates a balance between angiogenesis and angiostasis. Mol Cell Biol, 31(3), 404-16, 2011.
- Cho, SH, Ahn, AK, Bhargava, P, Lee, CH, Eischen, CM, McGuinness, O, Boothby, M Glycolytic rate and lymphomagenesis depend on PARP14, an ADP ribosyltransferase of the B aggressive lymphoma (BAL) family. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 108(38), 15972-7, 2011.
- Gordy, LE, Bezbradica, JS, Flyak, AI, Spencer, CT, Dunkle, A, Sun, J, Stanic, AK, Boothby, MR, He, YW, Zhao, Z, Van Kaer, L, Joyce, S IL-15 Regulates Homeostasis and Terminal Maturation of NKT Cells. J Immunol, 187(12), 6335-45, 2011.
- Boothby, M CRACking the code without Rosetta: molecular regulation of calcium-stimulated gene transcription after T cell activation. J Immunol, 185(9), 4969-71, 2010.
- Lee, K, Gudapati, P, Dragovic, S, Spencer, C, Joyce, S, Killeen, N, Magnuson, MA, Boothby, M Mammalian target of rapamycin protein complex 2 regulates differentiation of Th1 and Th2 cell subsets via distinct signaling pathways. Immunity, 32(6), 743-53, 2010.
- Cho, SH, Goenka, S, Henttinen, T, Gudapati, P, Reinikainen, A, Eischen, CM, Lahesmaa, R, Boothby, M PARP-14, a member of the B aggressive lymphoma (BAL) family, transduces survival signals in primary B cells. Blood, 2009.
- Boothby, M The calculus of integrating differentiation: timing control of T-bet. Immunity, 30(5), 666-8, 2009.
- Adeeku, E, Gudapati, P, Mendez-Fernandez, Y, Van Kaer, L, Boothby, M Flexibility accompanies commitment of memory CD4 lymphocytes derived from IL-4 locus-activated precursors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 105(27), 9307-12, 2008.
- Goenka, S, Cho, SH, Boothby, M Collaborator of Stat6 (CoaSt6)-associated poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activity modulates Stat6-dependent gene transcription. J Biol Chem, 282(26), 18732-9, 2007.
- Talati, M, Meyrick, B, Peebles, RS, Davies, SS, Dworski, R, Mernaugh, R, Mitchell, D, Boothby, M, Roberts, LJ, Sheller, JR Oxidant stress modulates murine allergic airway responses. Free Radic Biol Med, 40(7), 1210-9, 2006.
- Goenka, S, Boothby, M Selective potentiation of Stat-dependent gene expression by collaborator of Stat6 (CoaSt6), a transcriptional cofactor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 103(11), 4210-5, 2006.
- Zhang, F, Boothby, M T helper type 1-specific Brg1 recruitment and remodeling of nucleosomes positioned at the IFN-gamma promoter are Stat4 dependent. J Exp Med, 203(6), 1493-505, 2006.
- Jones, RG, Saibil, SD, Pun, JM, Elford, AR, Bonnard, M, Pellegrini, M, Arya, S, Parsons, ME, Krawczyk, CM, Gerondakis, S, Yeh, WC, Woodgett, JR, Boothby, MR, Ohashi, PS NF-kappaB couples protein kinase B/Akt signaling to distinct survival pathways and the regulation of lymphocyte homeostasis in vivo. J Immunol, 175(6), 3790-9, 2005.
- Corn, RA, Hunter, C, Liou, HC, Siebenlist, U, Boothby, MR Opposing roles for RelB and Bcl-3 in regulation of T-box expressed in T cells, GATA-3, and Th effector differentiation. J Immunol, 175(4), 2102-10, 2005.
- Corn RA, Hunter C, Liou HC, Siebenlist U, Boothby M "Opposing roles for RelB and Bcl-3 in regulation of T-box expressed in T cells, GATA-3, and Th effector differentiation." J Immunol., 175(Aug 15 (4)), 2102-2110, 2005.
- Stephenson, LM, Park, DS, Mora, AL, Goenka, S, Boothby, M Sequence motifs in IL-4R alpha mediating cell-cycle progression of primary lymphocytes. J Immunol, 175(8), 5178-85, 2005.
- Tong, Y, Aune, T, Boothby, M T-bet antagonizes mSin3a recruitment and transactivates a fully methylated IFN-gamma promoter via a conserved T-box half-site. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 102(6), 2034-9, 2005.
- Stephenson, L, Johns, MH, Woodward, E, Mora, AL, Boothby, M An IL-4R alpha allelic variant, I50, acts as a gain-of-function variant relative to V50 for Stat6, but not Th2 differentiation. J Immunol, 173(7), 4523-8, 2004.
- Heller, NM, Matsukura, S, Georas, SN, Boothby, MR, Stellato, C, Schleimer, RP Assessment of signal transducer and activator of transcription 6 as a target of glucocorticoid action in human airway epithelial cells. Clin Exp Allergy, 34(11), 1690-700, 2004.
- Stanic, AK, Bezbradica, JS, Park, JJ, Van Kaer, L, Boothby, MR, Joyce, S Cutting edge: the ontogeny and function of Va14Ja18 natural T lymphocytes require signal processing by protein kinase C theta and NF-kappa B. J Immunol, 172(8), 4667-71, 2004.
- Heller, NM, Matsukura, S, Georas, SN, Boothby, MR, Rothman, PB, Stellato, C, Schleimer, RP Interferon-gamma inhibits STAT6 signal transduction and gene expression in human airway epithelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, 31(5), 573-82, 2004.
- Stanic, Aleksandar K, Bezbradica, Jelena S, Park, Jang-June, Matsuki, Naoto, Mora, Ana L, Van Kaer, Luc, Boothby, Mark R, Joyce, Sebastian NF-kappaB controls cell fate specification, survival, and molecular differentiation of immunoregulatory natural T lymphocytes. J Immunol, 172(4), 2265-73, 2004.
- Aronica, MA, Swaidani, S, Zhang, YH, Mitchell, D, Mora, AL, McCarthy, S, O''Neal, J, Topham, D, Sheller, JR, Boothby, M Susceptibility to allergic lung disease regulated by recall responses of dual-receptor memory T cells. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 114(6), 1441-8, 2004.
- Aronica MA, Swaidani, S, Zhang YH, Mitchell D, Mora AL, McCarthy S, Topham D, Sheller JR, and Boothby M "Susceptibility to allergic lung disease regulated by recall responses of dual-specificity memory T cells." J Allergy and Clin Immunol, in press2004.
- Kelly-Welch, Ann E, Hanson, Erica M, Boothby, Mark R, Keegan, Achsah D Interleukin-4 and interleukin-13 signaling connections maps. Science, 3001527-8, 2003.
- Mora, A L, Corn, R A, Stanic, A K, Goenka, S, Aronica, M, Stanley, S, Ballard, D W, Joyce, S, Boothby, M Antiapoptotic function of NF-kappaB in T lymphocytes is influenced by their differentiation status: roles of Fas, c-FLIP, and Bcl-xL. Cell Death Differ, 10(9), 1032-44, 2003.
- Yang, Li, Yamagata, Noboru, Yadav, Rajwardhan, Brandon, Suzanne, Courtney, Regina L, Morrow, Jason D, Shyr, Yu, Boothby, Mark, Joyce, Sebastian, Carbone, David P, Breyer, Richard M Cancer-associated immunodeficiency and dendritic cell abnormalities mediated by the prostaglandin EP2 receptor. J Clin Invest, 111(5), 727-35, 2003.
- Goenka, Shreevrat, Marlar, Clinton, Schindler, Ulrike, Boothby, Mark Differential roles of C-terminal activation motifs in the establishment of Stat6 transcriptional specificity. J Biol Chem, 2003.
- Zhou, Ping, Hwang, Kwang Woo, Palucki, David A, Guo, Zhong, Boothby, Mark, Newell, Kenneth A, Alegre, Maria-Luisa Impaired NF-kappaB activation in T cells permits tolerance to primary heart allografts and to secondary donor skin grafts. Am J Transplant, 3139-47, 2003.
- Tato, Cristina M, Villarino, Alejandro, Caamano JH, Jorge H, Boothby, Mark, Hunter, Christopher A, Inhibition of NF-kappa B activity in T and NK cells results in defective effector cell expansion and production of IFN-gamma required for resistance to Toxoplasma gondii.. J Immunol, 1703139-46, 2003.
- Mora, Ana L, Stephenson, Linda M, Enerson, Ben, Youn, Jeehee, Keegan, Achsah D, Boothby, Mark, New programming of IL-4 receptor signal transduction in activated T cells: Stat6 induction and Th2 differentiation mediated by IL-4Ralpha lacking cytoplasmic tyrosines.. J Immunol, 171:1891-1900, 2003.
- Aronica, Mark A, McCarthy, Susan, Swaidani, Shadi, Mitchell, Daphne, Goral, Mehmet, Sheller, James R, Boothby, Mark Recall Th2 response: Th1-resistant allergic susceptibility without biasing uncommitted CD4 T cells. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2003.
- Boothby, Mark Signaling advances from immunogenetics to immunogenomics. Genome Biol, 4(12), 239, 2003.
- Corn, Radiah A, Aronica, Mark A, Zhang, Fuping, Tong, Yingkai, Stanley, Sarah A, Kim, Se Ryoung Agnes, Stephenson, Linda, Enerson, Ben, McCarthy, Susan, Mora, Ana, Boothby, Mark T cell-intrinsic requirement for NF-kappaB induction in postdifferentiation IFN-gamma production and clonal expansion in a Th1 response. J Immunol, 1711816-1824, 2003.
- Boothby M and Aronica MA "Transcription regulation, allergic responses, and asthma." Immunol Allergy Clin N. Amer , 22871-889, 2002.
- Soutto, Mohammed, Zhang, Feng, Enerson, Ben, Tong, Yingkai, Boothby, Mark, Aune, Thomas M, A minimal IFN-gamma promoter confers Th1 selective expression.. J Immunol, 1694205-12, 2002.
- Haley, Kathleen J, Ciota, Alex, Contreras, Johanna P, Boothby, Mark R, Perkins, David L, Finn, Patricia W Alterations in lung collectins in an adaptive allergic immune response. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 282(3), L573-84, 2002.
- Harlin, Helena, Hwang, Kwang Woo, Palucki, David A, Kim, Oliver, Thompson, Craig B, Boothby, Mark, Alegre, Maria-Luisa CTLA-4 engagement regulates NF-kappaB activation in vivo. Eur J Immunol, 32(8), 2095-104, 2002.
- Chen, Ying, Rosloniec, Ed, Price, Jim, Boothby, Mark, Chen, Jin Constitutive expression of BCL-X(L) in the T lineage attenuates collagen-induced arthritis in Bcl-X(L) transgenic mice. Arthritis Rheum, 46(2), 514-21, 2002.
- Finn, Patricia W, He, Hongzhen, Ma, Chunyan, Mueller, Thomas, Stone, James R, Liou, Hsiou-Chi, Boothby, Mark R, Perkins, David L Molecular profiling of the role of the NF-kappaB family of transcription factors during alloimmunity. J Leukoc Biol, 72(5), 1054-62, 2002.
- Harlin, Helena, Podack, Eckhard, Boothby, Mark, Alegre, Maria-Luisa TCR-independent CD30 signaling selectively induces IL-13 production via a TNF receptor-associated factor/p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent mechanism. J Immunol, 169(5), 2451-9, 2002.
- Boothby, M, Mora, A L, Aronica, M A, Youn, J, Sheller, J R, Goenka, S, Stephenson, L, IL-4 signaling, gene transcription regulation, and the control of effector T cells. Immunol Res, 23179-191, 2001.
- Mora, A L, Stanley, S, Armistead, W, Chan, A C, Boothby, M Inefficient ZAP-70 phosphorylation and decreased thymic selection in vivo result from inhibition of NF-kappaB/Rel. J Immunol, 167(10), 5628-35, 2001.
- Finn, P W, Stone, J R, Boothby, M R, Perkins, D L Inhibition of NF-kappaB-dependent T cell activation abrogates acute allograft rejection. J Immunol, 167(10), 5994-6001, 2001.
- Boothby M, Mora AL, Stephenson, LM Lymphokine-dependent proliferation of T-lymphoid cells: regulated responsiveness and role in vivo. Crit Rev Immunol, 21487-522, 2001.
- Zamorano, J, Mora, A L, Boothby, M, Keegan, A D NF-kappa B activation plays an important role in the IL-4-induced protection from apoptosis. Int Immunol, 13(12), 1479-87, 2001.
- Mora A, Youn J, Keegan A, and Boothby, M NF-kappa B/Rel participation in the lymphokine-dependent proliferation of T lymphoid cells. J Immunol, 1662218-2227, 2001.
- Chen, Y, Rosloniec, E, Goral, M I, Boothby, M, Chen, J Redirection of T cell effector function in vivo and enhanced collagen-induced arthritis mediated by an IL-2R beta/IL-4R alpha chimeric cytokine receptor transgene. J Immunol, 166(6), 4163-9, 2001.
- Boothby, M Specificity of sn50 for NF-kappa B. Nat Immunol, 2(6), 471-2, 2001.
- Aronica MA, Goenka S, and Boothby, M IL-4-dependent induction of BCL-2 and BCL-x(L) in activated T lymphocytes through a STAT6- and PI 3-kinase-independent pathway. Cytokine, 12578-587, 2000.
- Aune, T M, Mora, A L, Kim, S, Boothby, M, Lichtman, A H Costimulation reverses the defect in IL-2 but not effector cytokine production by T cells with impaired IkappaBalpha degradation. J Immunol, 162(10), 5805-12, 1999.
- Seetharaman, R, Mora, A L, Nabozny, G, Boothby, M, Chen, J Essential role of T cell NF-kappa B activation in collagen-induced arthritis. J Immunol, 163(3), 1577-83, 1999.
- Mora, A L, Chen, D, Boothby, M, Rubin, D H Lineage-specific differences among CD8+ T cells in their dependence of NF-kappa B/Rel signaling. Eur J Immunol, 29(9), 2968-80, 1999.
- Goenka, S, Youn, J, Dzurek, L M, Schindler, U, Yu-Lee, L Y, Boothby, M Paired Stat6 C-terminal transcription activation domains required both for inhibition of an IFN-responsive promoter and trans-activation. J Immunol, 163(9), 4663-72, 1999.
- Aronica, M A, Mora, A L, Mitchell, D B, Finn, P W, Johnson, J E, Sheller, J R, Boothby, M R Preferential role for NF-kappa B/Rel signaling in the type 1 but not type 2 T cell-dependent immune response in vivo. J Immunol, 163(9), 5116-24, 1999.
- Powell, W C, Fingleton, B, Wilson, C L, Boothby, M, Matrisian, L M The metalloproteinase matrilysin proteolytically generates active soluble Fas ligand and potentiates epithelial cell apoptosis. Curr Biol, 9(24), 1441-7, 1999.
- Youn, J, Chen, J, Goenka, S, Aronica, M A, Mora, A L, Correa, V, Sheller, J R, Boothby, M In vivo function of an interleukin 2 receptor beta chain (IL-2Rbeta)/IL-4Ralpha cytokine receptor chimera potentiates allergic airway disease. J Exp Med, 188(10), 1803-16, 1998.
- Zhang, F, Wang, D Z, Boothby, M, Penix, L, Flavell, R A, Aune, T M Regulation of the activity of IFN-gamma promoter elements during Th cell differentiation. J Immunol, 161(11), 6105-12, 1998.
- Lee, S Y, Kaufman, D R, Mora, A L, Santana, A, Boothby, M, Choi, Y Stimulus-dependent synergism of the antiapoptotic tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factor 2 (TRAF2) and nuclear factor kappaB pathways. J Exp Med, 188(7), 1381-4, 1998.
- Wang, D, Zamorano, J, Keegan, A D, Boothby, M HMG-I(Y) phosphorylation status as a nuclear target regulated through insulin receptor substrate-1 and the I4R motif of the interleukin-4 receptor. J Biol Chem, 272(40), 25083-90, 1997.
- Boothby, M R, Mora, A L, Scherer, D C, Brockman, J A, Ballard, D W Perturbation of the T lymphocyte lineage in transgenic mice expressing a constitutive repressor of nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB. J Exp Med, 185(11), 1897-907, 1997.
- Wang, D Z, Cherrington, A, Famakin-Mosuro, B, Boothby, M Independent pathways for de-repression of the mouse Ig heavy chain germ-line epsilon promoter: an IL-4 NAF/NF-IL-4 site as a context-dependent negative element. Int Immunol, 8(7), 977-89, 1996.
- Kovalik, J P, Ansari, B, Boothby, M Rapid commitment to negative selection of a thymocyte line independent of CD4 co-engagement. J Immunol, 157(12), 5290-9, 1996.
- Wang, D Z, Ray, P, Boothby, M Interleukin 4-inducible phosphorylation of HMG-I(Y) is inhibited by rapamycin. J Biol Chem, 270(39), 22924-32, 1995.
- Kim, J, Reeves, R, Rothman, P, Boothby, M The non-histone chromosomal protein HMG-I(Y) contributes to repression of the immunoglobulin heavy chain germ-line epsilon RNA promoter. Eur J Immunol, 25(3), 798-808, 1995.
- Whitley, M Z, Cheng, H L, Tomasi, T B, Boothby, M Distinct IL-4 response mechanisms of the MHC gene A alpha in different mouse B cell lines. Mol Immunol, 30(9), 821-32, 1993.
- Casey, L S, Lichtman, A H, Boothby, M IL-4 induces IL-2 receptor p75 beta-chain gene expression and IL-2-dependent proliferation in mouse T lymphocytes. J Immunol, 148(11), 3418-26, 1992.
- Li, S C, Rothman, P, Boothby, M, Ferrier, P, Glimcher, L, Alt, F W Control of immunoglobulin heavy chain constant region gene expression. Adv Exp Med Biol, 292245-51, 1991.
- Rothman, P, Li, S C, Gorham, B, Glimcher, L, Alt, F, Boothby, M Identification of a conserved lipopolysaccharide-plus-interleukin-4-responsive element located at the promoter of germ line epsilon transcripts. Mol Cell Biol, 11(11), 5551-61, 1991.
- Whitley, M Z, Sisk, R, Ivashkiv, L B, Finn, P W, Glimcher, L H, Boothby, M R Non-consensus DNA sequences function in a cell-type-specific enhancer of the mouse class II MHC gene A alpha. Int Immunol, 3(9), 877-88, 1991.
- Gravallese, E M, Darling, J M, Glimcher, L H, Boothby, M Role of lipopolysaccharide and IL-4 in control of transcription of the class II A alpha gene. J Immunol, 147(7), 2377-83, 1991.
- Liou, H C, Boothby, M R, Finn, P W, Davidon, R, Nabavi, N, Zeleznik-Le, N J, Ting, J P, Glimcher, L H A new member of the leucine zipper class of proteins that binds to the HLA DR alpha promoter. Science, 247(4950), 1581-4, 1990.
- Boothby, M, Liou, H C, Finn, P W, Gravallese, E, Glimcher, L H Control of transcription at the murine A alpha locus. Immunol Res, 9(2), 77-92, 1990.
- Finn, P W, Kara, C J, Van, T T, Douhan, J, Boothby, M R, Glimcher, L H The presence of a DNA binding complex correlates with E beta class II MHC gene expression. EMBO J, 9(5), 1543-9, 1990.
- Gravallese, E M, Boothby, M R, Smas, C M, Glimcher, L H A lipopolysaccharide-induced DNA-binding protein for a class II gene in B cells is distinct from NF-kappa B. Mol Cell Biol, 9(8), 3184-92, 1989.
- Boothby, M, Liou, H C, Glimcher, L H Differences in DNA sequence specificity among MHC class II X box binding proteins. J Immunol, 142(3), 1005-14, 1989.
- Boothby, M, Gravallese, E, Liou, H C, Glimcher, L H A DNA binding protein regulated by IL-4 and by differentiation in B cells. Science, 242(4885), 1559-62, 1988.
- Liou, H C, Boothby, M R, Glimcher, L H Distinct cloned class II MHC DNA binding proteins recognize the X box transcription element. Science, 242(4875), 69-71, 1988.
- Boime, I, Boothby, M, Darnell, R B, Policastro, P Structure and expression of human placental hormone genes. Adv Exp Med Biol, 205267-80, 1986.
- Hoshina, M, Boothby, M, Hussa, R, Pattillo, R, Camel, H M, Boime, I Linkage of human chorionic gonadotrophin and placental lactogen biosynthesis to trophoblast differentiation and tumorigenesis. Placenta, 6(2), 163-72, 1985.
- Hoshina, M, Boothby, M R, Hussa, R D, Pattillo, R A, Camel, H M, Boime, I Segregation patterns of polymorphic restriction sites of the gene encoding the alpha subunit of human chorionic gonadotropin in trophoblastic disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 81(8), 2504-7, 1984.
- Boothby, M, Kukowska, J, Boime, I Imbalanced synthesis of human choriogonadotropin alpha and beta subunits reflects the steady state levels of the corresponding mRNAs. J Biol Chem, 258(15), 9250-3, 1983.
- Policastro, P, Ovitt, C E, Hoshina, M, Fukuoka, H, Boothby, M R, Boime, I The beta subunit of human chorionic gonadotropin is encoded by multiple genes. J Biol Chem, 258(19), 11492-9, 1983.
- Hoshina, M, Boothby, M, Boime, I Cytological localization of chorionic gonadotropin alpha and placental lactogen mRNAs during development of the human placenta. J Cell Biol, 93(1), 190-8, 1982.
- Boime, I, Boothby, M, Hoshina, M, Daniels-McQueen, S, Darnell, R Expression and structures of human placental hormone genes as a function of placental development. Biol Reprod, 26(1), 73-91, 1982.
- Boothby, M, Ruddon, R W, Anderson, C, McWilliams, D, Boime, I A single gonadotropin alpha-subunit gene in normal tissue and tumor-derived cell lines. J Biol Chem, 256(10), 5121-7, 1981.
- Kohler, PO, Riser, M, Hardin, J, Boothby, M, Boime, I, Norris, J, Siciliano, MJ Chorionic gonadotropin synthesis and gene assignment in human:mouse hybrid cells. Adv Exp Med Biol, 138405-18, 1981.