Melinda Sanders, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
C-2310 Medical Center North
Nashville, TN 37232-2561
- M.D. - Thomas Jefferson University, 1995
- Fellowship - University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Internship - University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Post Graduate Training - University of Pennsylvania Health System
- Post Graduate Training - Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Residency - University of Pennsylvania Health System
Breast Cancer and Proliferative Breast Disease
My research endeavors include studies of proliferative breast disease and breast cancer. I am engaged in both discovery projects and investigation of specific genetic alterations. My work is principally funded by a Vanderbilt Physician Scientist Development Award and the Breast Cancer S.P.O.R.E. through which I have received a Career Development Award. My main effort is characterization of the molecular changes accompanying the pre-invasive to invasive breast cancer transition. This is an important focus for breast cancer research because extensive epidemiologic data have shown the most critical event in mammary neoplasia to be the transition from ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) to invasive mammary carcinoma (IMC). Approximately one third of women diagnosed with IMC in 2003 will subsequently develop metastatic disease and die as a result. In contrast, DCIS is a non-invasive process which by definition has no metastatic capacity with survival rates comparable to those of women in the general population. Differences in gene and protein expression should be responsible for these strikingly different clinical phenotypes and are under investigation using cDNA microarrays and matrix-assisted laser desorption-ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS). The goal of these projects is to determine the expression differences which are predictive of biologic behavior both between and within these groups. These are discovery projects which will result in identification of genes and/or proteins associated with breast cancer invasion. The causal and mechanistic association of these genes and/or proteins with breast cancer invasiveness will be subsequently studied in appropriate cell and mouse models. Furthermore, epidemiologic validation linking invasion-associated genes and proteins with clinical outcome can be explored in databases with appropriate clinical follow-up such as the Nashville Breast Cohort. Additional projects include 1) The relationship of the transforming growth factor-¿Ò1 T29C polymorphism to breast cancer risk, 2) Interdependence of radial scar and proliferative disease with respect to invasive breast cancer risk in benign breast biopsies, and 3) p27 haploinsufficiency in invasive breast cancer.
General Surgical Pathology
- Bauer, JA, Chakravarthy, AB, Rosenbluth, JM, Mi, D, Seeley, EH, De Matos Granja-Ingram, N, Olivares, MG, Kelley, MC, Mayer, IA, Meszoely, IM, Means-Powell, JA, Johnson, KN, Tsai, CJ, Ayers, GD, Sanders, ME, Schneider, RJ, Formenti, SC, Caprioli, RM, Pietenpol, JA Identification of markers of taxane sensitivity using proteomic and genomic analyses of breast tumors from patients receiving neoadjuvant paclitaxel and radiation. Clin Cancer Res, 16(2), 681-90, 2010.
- Oppenheimer, SR, Mi, D, Sanders, ME, Caprioli, RM Molecular Analysis of Tumor Margins by MALDI Mass Spectrometry in Renal Carcinoma. J Proteome Res, 2010.
- Dupont, WD, Breyer, JP, Bradley, KM, Schuyler, PA, Plummer, WD, Sanders, ME, Page, DL, Smith, JR Protein phosphatase 2A subunit gene haplotypes and proliferative breast disease modify breast cancer risk. Cancer, 116(1), 8-19, 2010.
- Breyer, JP, Sanders, ME, Airey, DC, Cai, Q, Yaspan, BL, Schuyler, PA, Dai, Q, Boulos, F, Olivares, MG, Bradley, KM, Gao, YT, Page, DL, Dupont, WD, Zheng, W, Smith, JR Heritable variation of ERBB2 and breast cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18(4), 1252-8, 2009.
- Sanders, ME, Dias, EC, Xu, BJ, Mobley, JA, Billheimer, D, Roder, H, Grigorieva, J, Dowsett, M, Arteaga, CL, Caprioli, RM Differentiating proteomic biomarkers in breast cancer by laser capture microdissection and MALDI MS. J Proteome Res, 7(4), 1500-7, 2008.
- Boulos, FI, Dupont, WD, Simpson, JF, Schuyler, PA, Sanders, ME, Freudenthal, ME, Page, DL Histologic associations and long-term cancer risk in columnar cell lesions of the breast: a retrospective cohort and a nested case-control study. Cancer, 113(9), 2415-21, 2008.
- Guix, M, Granja, Nde M, Meszoely, I, Adkins, TB, Wieman, BM, Frierson, KE, Sanchez, V, Sanders, ME, Grau, AM, Mayer, IA, Pestano, G, Shyr, Y, Muthuswamy, S, Calvo, B, Krontiras, H, Krop, IE, Kelley, MC, Arteaga, CL Short preoperative treatment with erlotinib inhibits tumor cell proliferation in hormone receptor-positive breast cancers. J Clin Oncol, 26(6), 897-906, 2008.
- Cornett, DS, Mobley, JA, Dias, EC, Andersson, M, Arteaga, CL, Sanders, ME, Caprioli, RM A novel histology-directed strategy for MALDI-MS tissue profiling that improves throughput and cellular specificity in human breast cancer. Mol Cell Proteomics, 5(10), 1975-83, 2006.
- McLaren, BK, Schuyler, PA, Sanders, ME, Jensen, RA, Simpson, JF, Dupont, WD, Page, DL Excellent survival, cancer type, and Nottingham grade after atypical lobular hyperplasia on initial breast biopsy. Cancer, 107(6), 1227-33, 2006.
- Sanders, ME, Page, DL, Simpson, JF, Schuyler, PA, Dale Plummer, W, Dupont, WD Interdependence of radial scar and proliferative disease with respect to invasive breast carcinoma risk in patients with benign breast biopsies. Cancer, 106(7), 1453-61, 2006.
- Wu, FY, Wang, SE, Sanders, ME, Shin, I, Rojo, F, Baselga, J, Arteaga, CL Reduction of cytosolic p27(Kip1) inhibits cancer cell motility, survival, and tumorigenicity. Cancer Res, 66(4), 2162-72, 2006.
- Sanders, ME, Schuyler, PA, Dupont, WD, Page, DL The natural history of low-grade ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast in women treated by biopsy only revealed over 30 years of long-term follow-up. Cancer, 103(12), 2481-4, 2005.
- Chaurand, P, Sanders, ME, Jensen, RA, Caprioli, RM Proteomics in diagnostic pathology: profiling and imaging proteins directly in tissue sections. Am J Pathol, 165(4), 1057-68, 2004.
- Muraoka, RS, Koh, Y, Roebuck, LR, Sanders, ME, Brantley-Sieders, D, Gorska, AE, Moses, HL, Arteaga, CL Increased malignancy of Neu-induced mammary tumors overexpressing active transforming growth factor beta1. Mol Cell Biol, 23(23), 8691-703, 2003.
- Reid, Gregor, Sanders, M E, Gaskins, H Rex, Gibson, Glenn R, Mercenier, Annick, Rastall, Robert, Roberfroid, Marcel, Rowland, Ian, Cherbut, Christine, Klaenhammer, Todd R, New scientific paradigms for probiotics and prebiotics.. J Clin Gastroenterol, 37105-18, 2003.
- Xu, Baogang J, Caprioli, Richard M, Sanders, Melinda E, Jensen, Roy A, Direct analysis of laser capture microdissected cells by MALDI mass spectrometry.. J Am Soc Mass Spectrom, 131292-7, 2002.
- Yeung, P S M, Sanders, M E, Kitts, C L, Cano, R, Tong, P S, Species-specific identification of commercial probiotic strains.. J Dairy Sci, 851039-51, 2002.
- Sanders, Melinda E, Mick, Rosemarie, Tomaszewski, John E, Barr, Frederic G, Unique patterns of allelic imbalance distinguish type 1 from type 2 sporadic papillary renal cell carcinoma.. Am J Pathol, 161997-1005, 2002.
- Fogt, F, Urbanski, S J, Sanders, M E, Furth, E E, Zimmerman, R L, Deren, J J, Noffsinger, A E, Vortmeyer, A O, Hartmann, C J, Odze, R L, Brown, C A, Distinction between dysplasia-associated lesion or mass (DALM) and adenoma in patients with ulcerative colitis.. Hum Pathol, 31288-91, 2000.
- Seibold, J R, Korn, J H, Simms, R, Clements, P J, Moreland, L W, Mayes, M D, Furst, D E, Rothfield, N, Steen, V, Weisman, M, Collier, D, Wigley, F M, Merkel, P A, Csuka, M E, Hsu, V, Rocco, S, Erikson, M, Hannigan, J, Harkonen, W S, Sanders, M E, Recombinant human relaxin in the treatment of scleroderma. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.. Ann Intern Med, 132871-9, 2000.
- Sanders, M E, van de Rijn, M, Barr, F G, Detection of a variant SYT-SSX1 fusion in a case of predominantly epithelioid synovial sarcoma.. Mol Diagn, 465-70, 1999.
- Kursunoglu-Brahme, S, Riccio, T, Weisman, M H, Resnick, D, Zvaifler, N, Sanders, M E, Fix, C, Rheumatoid knee: role of gadopentetate-enhanced MR imaging.. Radiology, 176831-5, 1990.
- Chin, J E, Winterrowd, G E, Krzesicki, R F, Sanders, M E, Role of cytokines in inflammatory synovitis. The coordinate regulation of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 and HLA class I and class II antigens in rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts.. Arthritis Rheum, 331776-86, 1990.
- Basinger, M A, Jones, M M, Craft, W D, Walker, E M, Sanders, M M, Chelating-agent suppression of cadmium-induced hepatotoxicity.. J Toxicol Environ Health, 22261-71, 1987.