Michael R. Dohn, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
771 Preston Research Building
Nashville, TN 37232
Autism, depression, and anxiety disorders are associated with an imbalance in the serotonin system, which often involves changes in the function of the serotonin transporter (SERT). SERT interacts with and is regulated by integrins, transmembrane proteins that link the extracellular matrix to the intracellular cytoskeleton. My research focuses on the physical and functional interactions between SERT and the integrin beta3 subunit in the brain. Using mouse models that alter integrin beta3 function, we 1) analyze the signaling pathways involved in beta3-mediated regulation of SERT activity and 2) evaluate the role of these signaling mechanisms in mouse behaviors linked to SERT function. These studies highlight the complex regulation of serotonin homeostasis and social behaviors by integrin beta3 and reveal an important role for integrins in modulating risk for neuropsychiatric disorders.
- Dohn. MR, Kooker, CG, Jessen, T, Varney, S, Mazalouskas, MD, Oliver, KH, Pan, H, Sutcliffe, JS, and Carneiro, AMD "Autism-Associated Integrin beta3 Leu33Pro Variant Reduces Serotonin Transporter Activity and Alters Social and Emotional Behaviors." , Submitted.
- Yu, HH, Dohn, MR, Markham, NO, Coffey, RJ, and Reynolds, AB "p120-catenin controls contractility along the vertical axis of epithelial lateral membranes." , Submitted.
- Markham, NO, Doll, CA, Dohn, MR, Miller, RK, Yu, H, Coffey, RJ, McCrea, PD, Gamse, JT, Reynolds, AB DIPA family coiled-coils bind conserved isoform-specific head domain of p120-catenin family: potential roles in hydrocephalus and heterotopia. Mol Biol Cell, 25(17), 2592-603, 2014.
- Dohn, MR, Mundell, NA, Sawyer, LM, Dunlap, JA, Jessen, JR Planar cell polarity proteins differentially regulate extracellular matrix organization and assembly during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol, 383(1), 39-51, 2013.
- Naydenov, NG, Brown, B, Harris, G, Dohn, MR, Morales, VM, Baranwal, S, Reynolds, AB, Ivanov, AI A membrane fusion protein alphaSNAP is a novel regulator of epithelial apical junctions. PLoS One, 7(4), e34320, 2012.
- Smith, AL, Dohn, MR, Brown, MV, Reynolds, AB Association of Rho-associated protein kinase 1 with E-cadherin complexes is mediated by p120-catenin. Mol Biol Cell, 23(1), 99-110, 2012.
- Periyasamy-Thandavan, S, Takhar, S, Singer, A, Dohn, MR, Jackson, WH, Welborn, AE, Leroith, D, Marrero, M, Thangaraju, M, Huang, S, Schoenlein, PV Insulin-like growth factor 1 attenuates antiestrogen- and antiprogestin-induced apoptosis in ER+ breast cancer cells by MEK1 regulation of the BH3-only pro-apoptotic protein Bim. Breast Cancer Res, 14(2), R52, 2012.
- Dohn, MR, Brown, MV, Reynolds, AB An essential role for p120-catenin in Src- and Rac1-mediated anchorage-independent cell growth. J Cell Biol, 184(3), 437-50, 2009.
- Wildenberg, GA, Dohn, MR, Carnahan, RH, Davis, MA, Lobdell, NA, Settleman, J, Reynolds, AB p120-catenin and p190RhoGAP regulate cell-cell adhesion by coordinating antagonism between Rac and Rho. Cell, 127(5), 1027-39, 2006.
- Schoenlein, PV, Barrett, JT, Kulharya, A, Dohn, MR, Sanchez, A, Hou, DY, McCoy, J Radiation therapy depletes extrachromosomally amplified drug resistance genes and oncogenes from tumor cells via micronuclear capture of episomes and double minute chromosomes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 55(4), 1051-65, 2003.
- Dohn, M, Nozell, S, Willis, A, Chen, X Tumor suppressor gene-inducible cell lines. Methods Mol Biol, 223221-35, 2003.
- Dohn, M, Jiang, J, Chen, X Receptor tyrosine kinase EphA2 is regulated by p53-family proteins and induces apoptosis. Oncogene, 20(45), 6503-15, 2001.
- Dohn, M, Zhang, S, Chen, X p63alpha and DeltaNp63alpha can induce cell cycle arrest and apoptosis and differentially regulate p53 target genes. Oncogene, 20(25), 3193-205, 2001.