Nagaraj S. Nagathihalli, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor of Surgery
D-2300 Medical Center North
Nashville, TN 37232
- Nagathihalli, NS, Beesetty, Y, Lee, W, Washington, MK, Chen, X, Lockhart, AC, Merchant, NB Novel Mechanistic Insights into Ectodomain Shedding of EGFR Ligands Amphiregulin and TGF-¿¿: Impact on Gastrointestinal Cancers Driven by Secondary Bile Acids. Cancer Res, 2014.
- Castellanos, J, Nagathihalli, NS, Merchant, NB Altered Signaling Pathways and Potential Therapeutic Targets in Pancreatic Cancer. In: Pathobiology of Human Disease: A Dynamic Encyclopedia of Disease Mechanisms, Linda McManus and Richard Mitchell (eds), Elsevier, Oxford, UK, 2013.
- Castellanos, J, Merchant, NB, Nagathihalli, NS Emerging targets in pancreatic cancer: epithelial-mesenchymal transition and cancer stem cells. OncoTargets and Therapy, 2013(6), 1261 - 1267, 2013.
- Nagathihalli, NS, Brown, ET Pancreatic Cancer Stem Cells in Tumor Progression, Metastasis, Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition and DNA Repair. In: DNA Repair of Cancer Stem Cells, Mathews, LA, Cabarcas, SM and Hurt, EM (eds.), Springer, USA141-155, 2013.
- Nagathihalli, NS, Massion, PP, Gonzalez, AL, Lu, P, Datta, PK Smoking Induces Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer through HDAC-Mediated Downregulation of E-cadherin. Mol Cancer Ther, 11(11), 2362-72, 2012.
- Samanta, D, Gonzalez, AL, Nagathihalli, N, Ye, F, Carbone, DP, Datta, PK Smoking attenuates transforming growth factor-Î²-mediated tumor suppression function through downregulation of Smad3 in lung cancer. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 5(3), 453-63, 2012.
- Nagathihalli, NS, Merchant, NB Src-mediated regulation of E-cadherin and EMT in pancreatic cancer. Front Biosci, 172059-69, 2012.
- Nagaraj NS, Washington MK, Merchant NB Combined Blockade of Src Kinase and Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor with Gemcitabine Overcomes STAT3-Mediated Resistance of Inhibition of Pancreatic Tumor Growth. Clin Cancer Res, 17(3), 483-93, 2011 PMCID:3079196.
- Nagathihalli, NS, Nagaraju, G RAD51 as a potential biomarker and therapeutic target for pancreatic cancer. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1816(2), 209-18, 2011.
- Singh, OV*, Nagaraj NS*, Gabani, P Systems Biology: Integrating â€˜-omicsâ€™ oriented approaches to determine food borne microbial toxins. Systems Toxicology: From Omics Technology to Nanotechnology, In: Handbook of Systems Toxicology, Casciano, DA and Sahu, SC (eds.)Wiley Publishers, NJ, USA, 2011.
- Nagathihalli, N Translational research in gastrointestinal oncology: a focus on signaling pathways in pancreas cancer. Gastrointest Cancer Res, 4(5-6), 197-8, 2011.
- Nagaraj, NS*, Anilakumar, KR, Singh, OV Diallyl disulfide causes caspase-dependent apoptosis in human cancer cells through a Bax-triggered mitochondrial pathway. J Nutr Biochem, 21(5), 405-412, 2010.
- Nagaraj, NS, Singh, OV, Merchant, NB Proteomics: a strategy to understand the novel targets in protein misfolding and cancer therapy. Expert Rev Proteomics, 7(4), 613-23, 2010.
- Nagaraj NS, Smith JJ, Revetta F, Washington MK, Merchant NB Targeted Inhibition of Src Kinase Signaling Attenuates Pancreatic Tumorigenesis. Mol Cancer Ther, 9(8), 2322-32, 2010.
- Nagaraj, NS, Datta, PK Targeting the transforming growth factor-beta signaling pathway in human cancer. Expert Opin Investig Drugs, 19(1), 77-91, 2010.
- Nagaraj, NS*, Singh, OV Using Genomics to Develop Novel Antibacterial Therapeutics. Crit Rev Microbiol, 36(4), 340-8, 2010.
- Nagaraj, NS Evolving omics technologies for diagnostics of head and neck cancer. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic, 8(1), 49-59, 2009.
- Nagaraj, NS, Singh, OV Integrating Genomics and Proteomics oriented Biomarkers to Comprehend Lung Cancer. Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics, 2(3), 167-180, 2009.
- Nagaraj, NS, Zacharias, W Cathepsin Regulated Cell Death Pathways: Lysosomes as Targets for Cancer Therapy. (Editor: Albina W. Taylor). Nova Science Publishers Inc, Cell Apoptosis and Cancerpp.155-180, New York, 2007.
- Nagaraj, NS, Zacharias, W Cigarette smoke condensate increases cathepsin-mediated invasiveness of oral carcinoma cells. Toxicol Lett, 170(2), 134-45, 2007.
- Nagaraj, NS, Vigneswaran, N, Zacharias, W Hypoxia inhibits TRAIL-induced tumor cell apoptosis: involvement of lysosomal cathepsins. Apoptosis, 12(1), 125-39, 2007.
- Anilakumar, KR, Nagaraj, NS, Santhanam, K Reduction of hexachlorocyclohexane-induced oxidative stress and cytotoxicity in rat liver by Emblica officinalis gaertn. Indian J Exp Biol, 45(5), 450-4, 2007.
- Nagaraj, NS, Anilakumar, KR, Santhanam, K Biochemical and physicochemical changes of goat meat during ageing. J Muscle Foods, 17(2), 198-213, 2006.
- Nagaraj, NS, Vigneswaran, N, Zacharias, W Cathepsin B mediates TRAIL-induced apoptosis in oral cancer cells. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 132(3), 171-83, 2006.
- Nagaraj, NS, Beckers, S, Mensah, JK, Waigel, S, Vigneswaran, N, Zacharias, W Cigarette smoke condensate induces cytochromes P450 and aldo-keto reductases in oral cancer cells. Toxicol Lett, 165(2), 182-94, 2006.
- Nagaraj, NS*, Santhanam, K Effect of frozen temperature and storage time on calpains, cathepsins (B, B+L, H and D) and their endogenous inhibitors in goat muscles. J Food Biochem, 30(2), 155-173, 2006.
- Vigneswaran, N, Wu, J, Nagaraj, N, James, R, Zeeuwen, P, Zacharias, W Silencing of cystatin M in metastatic oral cancer cell line MDA-686Ln by siRNA increases cysteine proteinases and legumain activities, cell proliferation and in vitro invasion. Life Sci, 78(8), 898-907, 2006.
- Nagaraj, NS*, Santhanam, K The effects of muscle proteases, endogenous protease inhibitors and myofibril fragmentation on postmortem aging of goat meat. J Food Biochem, 30(3), 269-291, 2006.
- Singh, OV, Nagaraj, NS Transcriptomics, proteomics and interactomics: unique approaches to track the insights of bioremediation. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic, 4(4), 355-62, 2006.
- Wickramasinghe, NS, Nagaraj, NS, Vigneswaran, N, Zacharias, W Cathepsin B promotes both motility and invasiveness of oral carcinoma cells. Arch Biochem Biophys, 436(1), 187-95, 2005.
- Vigneswaran, N, Wu, J, Nagaraj, N, Adler-Storthz, K, Zacharias, W Differential susceptibility of metastatic and primary oral cancer cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis. Int J Oncol, 26(1), 103-12, 2005.
- Wickramasinghe, NS, Banerjee, K, Nagaraj, NS, Vigneswaran, N, Zacharias, W Hypoxia alters cathepsin B / inhibitor profiles in oral carcinoma cell lines. Anticancer Res, 25(4), 2841-9, 2005.
- Nagaraj, NS*, Anilakumar, KR, Santhanam, K Post-mortem changes in myofibrillar proteins of goat skeletal muscles. J Food Biochem, 29(2), 152-170, 2005.
- Nagaraj, NS, Vigneswaran, N, Zacharias, W Hypoxia-mediated apoptosis in oral carcinoma cells occurs via two independent pathways. Mol Cancer, 3(1), 38, 2004.
- Anilakumar, KR, Nagaraj, NS, Santhanam, K Protective effect of amla on oxidative stress and cytotoxicity in rats challenged with dimethyl hydrazine. Nutrition Res, 24(4), 313-319, 2004.
- Anilakumar, KR, Nagaraj, NS, Prasad, NN, Jeevaratnam, K "Changes in fatty acid composition of some processed ration on storage." The Indian Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics, 40(1), 168-173, 2003.
- Nagaraj, NS, Anilakumar, KR, Santhanam, K Changes in the calpain-calpastatin and cathepsin (B, B+L, H and D) during post-mortem storage of goat muscles. J Food Biochem, 26(1), 75-89, 2002.
- Anilakumar, KR, Nagaraj, NS, Santhanam, K Effect of coriander seeds on hexachloro cyclohexane induced lipid peroxidation in rat liver. Nutrition Res, 21(11), 1455-1462, 2001.
- Nagaraj, NS, Anilakumar, KR, Santhanam, K "Effect of temperature on myofibril fragmentation during postmortem storage of muscle." J Food Sc Tech, 38(1), 55-56, 2001.