Natasha G. Deane, Ph.D.
Research Associate Professor of Surgery (Surgical Oncology)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
D2300 MCN 1161 21st Ave
Nashville, TN 37232
My formal training is in molecular virology with post-doctoral training in molecular imaging. Since starting in a research faculty position in the Department of Surgery in 2004, I have been actively involved in the analysis of the molecular underpinnings of human colon cancer progression with validation in both cellular and mouse models. Through genetic maniulation of components of the TGFbeta signaling pathway, I study the importance of this pathway for various aspects of cancer progression in vivo with particular emphasis on tumor cell epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT) and tumor invasiveness. My work is highly inter-disciplinary in nature and I rely on very productive collaborations with investigators in the Departments of Medicine and Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics. Our group consists of both research and clinical faculty overseeing about 12 trainees and technical staff, combined.
Human colon cancer
Clinical Research Description
Our group uses clinical samples from colon cancer resections combined with longitudinal outcomes data to analyze molecular patterns associated with human colon cancer progression and responsiveness to therapy.
- Zhu, J, Wang, J, Shi, Z, Franklin, JL, Deane, NG, Coffey, RJ, Beauchamp, RD, Zhang, B Deciphering Genomic Alterations in Colorectal Cancer through Transcriptional Subtype-Based Network Analysis. PLoS One, 8(11), e79282, 2013.
- Al-Greene, NT, Means, AL, Lu, P, Jiang, A, Schmidt, CR, Chakravarthy, AB, Merchant, NB, Washington, MK, Zhang, B, Shyr, Y, Deane, NG, Beauchamp, RD Four jointed box 1 promotes angiogenesis and is associated with poor patient survival in colorectal carcinoma. PLoS One, 8(7), e69660, 2013.
- Freeman, TJ, Smith, JJ, Chen, X, Washington, MK, Roland, JT, Means, AL, Eschrich, SA, Yeatman, TJ, Deane, NG, Beauchamp, RD Smad4-mediated signaling inhibits intestinal neoplasia by inhibiting expression of ¿¿-catenin. Gastroenterology, 142(3), 562-571.e2, 2012.
- Guo, N, Xie, J, Charles Manning, H, Deane, NG, Ansari, MS, Coffey, RJ, Gore, J, Price, RR, Baldwin, RM, McIntyre, JO A Novel In Vitro Assay to Assess Phosphorylation of 3''-[(18)F]fluoro-3''-Deoxythymidine. Mol Imaging Biol, 13(2), 257-64, 2011.
- Smith, JJ, Deane, NG, Wu, F, Merchant, NB, Zhang, B, Jiang, A, Lu, P, Johnson, JC, Schmidt, C, Bailey, CE, Eschrich, S, Kis, C, Levy, S, Washington, MK, Heslin, MJ, Coffey, RJ, Yeatman, TJ, Shyr, Y, Beauchamp, RD Experimentally derived metastasis gene expression profile predicts recurrence and death in patients with colon cancer. Gastroenterology, 138(3), 958-68, 2010.
- Yankeelov, TE, Atuegwu, NC, Deane, NG, Gore, JC Modeling tumor growth and treatment response based on quantitative imaging data. Integr Biol (Camb), 2(7-8), 338-45, 2010.
- Kanies, CL, Smith, JJ, Kis, C, Schmidt, C, Levy, S, Khabar, KS, Morrow, J, Deane, N, Dixon, DA, Beauchamp, RD Oncogenic Ras and transforming growth factor-beta synergistically regulate AU-rich element-containing mRNAs during epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Mol Cancer Res, 6(7), 1124-36, 2008.
- Smith, JJ, Deane, NG, Dhawan, P, Beauchamp, RD Regulation of metastasis in colorectal adenocarcinoma: a collision between development and tumor biology. Surgery, 144(3), 353-66, 2008.
- Halder, SK, Rachakonda, G, Deane, NG, Datta, PK Smad7 induces hepatic metastasis in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer, 99(6), 957-65, 2008.
- Deane, NG, Manning, HC, Foutch, AC, Washington, MK, Aronow, BJ, Aronow, BA, Bornhop, DJ, Coffey, RJ Targeted imaging of colonic tumors in smad3-/- mice discriminates cancer and inflammation. Mol Cancer Res, 5(4), 341-9, 2007.
- Li, JQ, Xu, BJ, Shakhtour, B, Deane, N, Merchant, N, Heslin, MJ, Washington, K, Coffey, RJ, Beauchamp, RD, Shyr, Y, Billheimer, D Variability of in situ proteomic profiling and implications for study design in colorectal tumors. Int J Oncol, 31(1), 103-11, 2007.
- Deane, NG, Parker, MA, Beauchamp, RD Cell proliferation: a matter of time and place. Surgery, 138(1), 1-7, 2005.
- Dhawan, P, Singh, AB, Deane, NG, No, Y, Shiou, SR, Schmidt, C, Neff, J, Washington, MK, Beauchamp, RD Claudin-1 regulates cellular transformation and metastatic behavior in colon cancer. J Clin Invest, 115(7), 1765-76, 2005.
- Deane, Natasha G, Lee, Haakil, Hamaamen, Jalal, Ruley, Anna, Washington, M Kay, LaFleur, Bonnie, Thorgeirsson, Snorri S, Price, Ronald, Beauchamp, R Daniel Enhanced tumor formation in cyclin D1 x transforming growth factor beta1 double transgenic mice with characterization by magnetic resonance imaging. Cancer Res, 64(4), 1315-22, 2004.
- Parker, M A, Deane, N G, Thompson, E A, Whitehead, R H, Mithani, S K, Washington, M K, Datta, P K, Dixon, D A, Beauchamp, R D Over-expression of cyclin D1 regulates Cdk4 protein synthesis. Cell Prolif, 36(6), 347-60, 2003.
- Deane, N G, Parker, M A, Aramandla, R, Diehl, L, Lee, W J, Washington, M K, Nanney, L B, Shyr, Y, Beauchamp, R D Hepatocellular carcinoma results from chronic cyclin D1 overexpression in transgenic mice. Cancer Res, 61(14), 5389-95, 2001.
- McDonnell, T J, Deane, N, Platt, F M, Nunez, G, Jaeger, U, McKearn, J P, Korsmeyer, S J bcl-2-immunoglobulin transgenic mice demonstrate extended B cell survival and follicular lymphoproliferation. Cell, 57(1), 79-88, 1989.