Natasha G. Deane, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
D2300 MCN 1161 21st Ave
Nashville, TN 37232
My formal training is in molecular virology with post-doctoral training in molecular imaging. Since starting in a research faculty position in the Department of Surgery in 2004, I have been actively involved in the development of genetically engineered mouse models of human colon cancer and human hepatocellular carcinoma. Through genetic maniulation of components of the TGFbeta signaling pathway, I study the importance of this pathway for various aspects of cancer progression in vivo with particular emphasis on tumor cell epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT) and tumor invasiveness. My work is highly inter-disciplinary in nature and I rely on very productive collaborations with investigators in the Departments of Medicine, Chemistry and Radiology. We use both transgenic reporter technology and molecular imaging strategies to image the development of tumors in mouse models.
- Guo, N, Xie, J, Charles Manning, H, Deane, NG, Ansari, MS, Coffey, RJ, Gore, J, Price, RR, Baldwin, RM, McIntyre, JO A Novel In Vitro Assay to Assess Phosphorylation of 3''-[(18)F]fluoro-3''-Deoxythymidine. Mol Imaging Biol, 13(2), 257-64, 2011.
- Smith, JJ, Deane, NG, Wu, F, Merchant, NB, Zhang, B, Jiang, A, Lu, P, Johnson, JC, Schmidt, C, Bailey, CE, Eschrich, S, Kis, C, Levy, S, Washington, MK, Heslin, MJ, Coffey, RJ, Yeatman, TJ, Shyr, Y, Beauchamp, RD Experimentally derived metastasis gene expression profile predicts recurrence and death in patients with colon cancer. Gastroenterology, 138(3), 958-68, 2010.
- Yankeelov, TE, Atuegwu, NC, Deane, NG, Gore, JC Modeling tumor growth and treatment response based on quantitative imaging data. Integr Biol (Camb), 2(7-8), 338-45, 2010.
- Kanies, CL, Smith, JJ, Kis, C, Schmidt, C, Levy, S, Khabar, KS, Morrow, J, Deane, N, Dixon, DA, Beauchamp, RD Oncogenic Ras and transforming growth factor-beta synergistically regulate AU-rich element-containing mRNAs during epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Mol Cancer Res, 6(7), 1124-36, 2008.
- Smith, JJ, Deane, NG, Dhawan, P, Beauchamp, RD Regulation of metastasis in colorectal adenocarcinoma: a collision between development and tumor biology. Surgery, 144(3), 353-66, 2008.
- Halder, SK, Rachakonda, G, Deane, NG, Datta, PK Smad7 induces hepatic metastasis in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer, 99(6), 957-65, 2008.
- Deane, NG, Manning, HC, Foutch, AC, Washington, MK, Aronow, BJ, Aronow, BA, Bornhop, DJ, Coffey, RJ Targeted imaging of colonic tumors in smad3-/- mice discriminates cancer and inflammation. Mol Cancer Res, 5(4), 341-9, 2007.
- Li, JQ, Xu, BJ, Shakhtour, B, Deane, N, Merchant, N, Heslin, MJ, Washington, K, Coffey, RJ, Beauchamp, RD, Shyr, Y, Billheimer, D Variability of in situ proteomic profiling and implications for study design in colorectal tumors. Int J Oncol, 31(1), 103-11, 2007.
- Deane, NG, Parker, MA, Beauchamp, RD "Cell Proliferation: a Matter of Time and Place." Surgery, 138(1), 1-7, 2005.
- Deane, NG, Parker, MA, Beauchamp, RD Cell proliferation: a matter of time and place. Surgery, 138(1), 1-7, 2005.
- Dhawan, P, Singh, AB, Deane, NG, No, Y, Shiou, SR, Schmidt, C, Neff, J, Washington, MK, Beauchamp, RD Claudin-1 regulates cellular transformation and metastatic behavior in colon cancer. J Clin Invest, 115(7), 1765-76, 2005.
- Deane, Natasha G, Lee, Haakil, Hamaamen, Jalal, Ruley, Anna, Washington, M Kay, LaFleur, Bonnie, Thorgeirsson, Snorri S, Price, Ronald, Beauchamp, R Daniel Enhanced tumor formation in cyclin D1 x transforming growth factor beta1 double transgenic mice with characterization by magnetic resonance imaging. Cancer Res, 64(4), 1315-22, 2004.
- Parker, M A, Deane, N G, Thompson, E A, Whitehead, R H, Mithani, S K, Washington, M K, Datta, P K, Dixon, D A, Beauchamp, R D Over-expression of cyclin D1 regulates Cdk4 protein synthesis. Cell Prolif, 36(6), 347-60, 2003.
- Deane, N G, Parker, M A, Aramandla, R, Diehl, L, Lee, W J, Washington, M K, Nanney, L B, Shyr, Y, Beauchamp, R D Hepatocellular carcinoma results from chronic cyclin D1 overexpression in transgenic mice. Cancer Res, 61(14), 5389-95, 2001.
- McDonnell, T J, Deane, N, Platt, F M, Nunez, G, Jaeger, U, McKearn, J P, Korsmeyer, S J bcl-2-immunoglobulin transgenic mice demonstrate extended B cell survival and follicular lymphoproliferation. Cell, 57(1), 79-88, 1989.