Otis B. Rickman, D.O.
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care)
- Clinical Trials Information
- Clinical Trials: 1-800-811-8480
- Online Self-Referral Form
The Vanderbilt Clinic
1301 Medical Center Drive, B 824 TVC
Nashville, TN 37232
Dr. Otis B. Rickman grew up in southeast Oklahoma. After graduation from Hugo High School in 1989 he went on to attend Oklahoma State University where he received a B.S in Biological Sciences in 1993 and then his D.O. degree in 1998. He then completed both residency training in internal medicine and fellowship training in pulmonary and critical care medicine at Mayo Clinic. Immediately after fellowship training, he was appointed to the faculty of Mayo Clinic as an Assistant Professor in 2004. As a junior faculty member he was trained in interventional pulmonology.
After completion of training he joined the Interventional Pulmonary group and served as Program Director of the Critical Care Fellowship. Dr. Rickman joined the Division of Allergy/Pulmonary and Critical care and Department of Thoracic Surgery at Vanderbilt University in August of 2009 where he serves as Director of Bronchoscopy. He is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine and Critical Care Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians and a member of the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, American Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology and the American Thoracic Society.
Dr. Rickman's clinical expertise lies primarily in interventional pulmonology and thoracic oncology. He is trained and performs the full spectrum of diagnostic, therapeutic and palliative airway procedures for patients with lung cancer or suspected lung cancer. This extends from smoking cessation counseling, early detection with endoscopic treatment all the way to palliative airway procedures to alleviate symptoms of the patient with advanced lung cancer.
Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center has the newest and most advanced endoscopic technologies and treatments available. In addition to routine diagnostic flexible videobronchoscopy we offer advanced diagnostic procedures such as electromagnetic navigation guided (SuperDimension) lung biopsy, autofluorescence bronchoscopy, endobronchial ultrasound and transbronchial needle aspiration, as well as advanced therapeutic procedures such as rigid bronchoscopy, airway stenting, brachytherapy, balloon dilatation, endobronchial electrosurgery, Nd:YAG, KTP and CO2 laser bronchoscopy and photodynamic therapy. In addition to the airway procedures he also places indwelling pleural catheters for management of effusions and performs thoracic ultrasound guided thoracentesis.
His research is clinical and translational in nature focusing on early detection, chemoprevention, endoscopic staging and treatment of lung cancer.
- Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine Residency, Internal Medicine
- Oklahoma State University D.O.
- Oklahoma State University BS, Biological Sciences
Clinical and translational research focusing on the early detection, endoscopic staging and treatment of lung cancer, lung cancer chemoprevention, lung nodule diagnosis, development of new devices and techniques used in interventional pulmonology. Developing interest in education research, especially, ascertaining the effectiveness of various simulation based education methods.
- Deppen SA, Davis WT, Green EA, Rickman O, Aldrich MC, Fletcher S, Putnam JB, Grogan EL. Cost-effectiveness of initial diagnostic strategies for pulmonary nodules presenting to thoracic surgeons. Ann. Thorac. Surg [print-electronic]. 2014 Oct; 98(4): 1214-22. PMID: 25087933, PMCID: PMC4186897, PII: S0003-4975(14)01076-5, DOI: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2014.05.025, ISSN: 1552-6259.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25087933.
- Limburg PJ, Mandrekar SJ, Aubry MC, Ziegler KL, Zhang J, Yi JE, Henry M, Tazelaar HD, Lam S, McWilliams A, Midthun DE, Edell ES, Rickman OB, Mazzone P, Tockman M, Beamis JF, Lamb C, Simoff M, Loprinzi C, Szabo E, Jett J, . Randomized phase II trial of sulindac for lung cancer chemoprevention. Lung Cancer [print-electronic]. 2013 Mar; 79(3): 254-61. PMID: 23261228, PMCID: PMC3566344, PII: S0169-5002(12)00632-0, DOI: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2012.11.011, ISSN: 1872-8332.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23261228.
- Kropski JA, Pritchett JM, Mason WR, Sivarajan L, Gleaves LA, Johnson JE, Lancaster LH, Lawson WE, Blackwell TS, Steele MP, Loyd JE, Rickman OB. Bronchoscopic cryobiopsy for the diagnosis of diffuse parenchymal lung disease. PLoS ONE. 2013; 8(11): e78674. PMID: 24265706, PMCID: PMC3827078, PII: PONE-D-13-31364, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0078674, ISSN: 1932-6203.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24265706.
- DePew ZS, Edell ES, Midthun DE, Mullon JJ, Bungum AO, Decker PA, Maldonado F, . Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: determinants of sampling adequacy. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2012 Oct; 19(4): 271-6. PMID: 23207525, PII: 01436970-201210000-00003, DOI: 10.1097/LBR.0b013e31826e361c, ISSN: 1948-8270.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23207525.
- Voss JS, Kipp BR, Halling KC, Henry MR, Jett JR, Clayton AC, Rickman OB. Fluorescence in situ hybridization testing algorithm improves lung cancer detection in bronchial brushing specimens. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med [print-electronic]. 2010 Mar 3/1/2010; 181(5): 478-85. PMID: 20007925, PII: 200907-1121OC, DOI: 10.1164/rccm.200907-1121OC, ISSN: 1535-4970.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20007925.
- Rickman OB, Vohra PK, Sanyal B, Vrana JA, Aubry MC, Wigle DA, Thomas CF. Analysis of ErbB receptors in pulmonary carcinoid tumors. Clin. Cancer Res [print-electronic]. 2009 May 5/15/2009; 15(10): 3315-24. PMID: 19447869, PII: 1078-0432.CCR-08-2549, DOI: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2549, ISSN: 1078-0432.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19447869.
- Gajic O, Rana R, Winters JL, Yilmaz M, Mendez JL, Rickman OB, O'Byrne MM, Evenson LK, Malinchoc M, DeGoey SR, Afessa B, Hubmayr RD, Moore SB. Transfusion-related acute lung injury in the critically ill: prospective nested case-control study. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med [print-electronic]. 2007 Nov 11/1/2007; 176(9): 886-91. PMID: 17626910, PMCID: PMC2048675, PII: 200702-271OC, DOI: 10.1164/rccm.200702-271OC, ISSN: 1535-4970.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17626910.
- Halling KC, Rickman OB, Kipp BR, Harwood AR, Doerr CH, Jett JR. A comparison of cytology and fluorescence in situ hybridization for the detection of lung cancer in bronchoscopic specimens. Chest. 2006 Sep; 130(3): 694-701. PMID: 16963665, PII: 130/3/694, DOI: 10.1378/chest.130.3.694, ISSN: 0012-3692.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16963665.
- Rickman OB, Utz JP, Aughenbaugh GL, Gostout CJ. Pulmonary embolization of 2-octyl cyanoacrylate after endoscopic injection therapy for gastric variceal bleeding. Mayo Clin. Proc. 2004 Nov; 79(11): 1455-8. PMID: 15544027, PII: S0025-6196(11)62196-4, DOI: 10.4065/79.11.1455, ISSN: 0025-6196.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15544027.
- Gajic O, Rana R, Mendez JL, Rickman OB, Lymp JF, Hubmayr RD, Moore SB. Acute lung injury after blood transfusion in mechanically ventilated patients. Transfusion. 2004 Oct; 44(10): 1468-74. PMID: 15383020, PII: TRF04053, DOI: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2004.04053.x, ISSN: 0041-1132.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15383020.
- Vlahakis NE, Rickman OB, Morgenthaler T. Sirolimus-associated diffuse alveolar hemorrhage. Mayo Clin. Proc. 2004 Apr; 79(4): 541-5. PMID: 15065619, PII: S0025-6196(11)62771-7, DOI: 10.4065/79.4.541, ISSN: 0025-6196.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15065619.
- Mendez JL, Rickman OB, Hubmayr RD. Plasma membrane stress failure in ventilator-injured lungs. A hypothesis about osmoregulation and the pharmacologic protection of the lungs against deformation injury. Biol. Neonate [print-electronic]. 2004; 85(4): 290-2. PMID: 15218285, PII: 78170, DOI: 10.1159/000078170, ISSN: 0006-3126.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15218285.
- Rickman OB, Ryu JH, Fidler ME, Kalra S. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis associated with Mycobacterium avium complex and hot tub use. Mayo Clin. Proc. 2002 Nov; 77(11): 1233-7. PMID: 12440560, PII: S0025-6196(11)61814-4, DOI: 10.4065/77.11.1233, ISSN: 0025-6196.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12440560.
- Godfrey JA, Rickman OB, Williams AW, Thompson GB, Young WF. Pheochromocytoma in a patient with end-stage renal disease. Mayo Clin. Proc. 2001 Sep; 76(9): 953-7. PMID: 11560309, PII: S0025-6196(11)62118-6, DOI: 10.4065/76.9.953, ISSN: 0025-6196.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11560309.
- Rickman OB, Parisi JE, Yu Z, Lennon VA, Vernino S. Fulminant autoimmune cortical encephalitis associated with thymoma treated with plasma exchange. Mayo Clin. Proc. 2000 Dec; 75(12): 1321-6. PMID: 11126843, PII: S0025-6196(11)63035-8, DOI: 10.4065/75.12.1321, ISSN: 0025-6196.
Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11126843.