Peng Liang, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
658 Preston Building
Molecular mechanism of cancer and skin inflammation
Cancer is a disease state that involves multiple genetic alterations leading to unregulated cell proliferation. A variety of different cancers exist, and numerous oncogenes and several tumor- suppressor genes have been found. The focus of this laboratory is to understand the common biochemical pathway that controls cell growth, which is disrupted in many different cancers.
The identification of mutations in both tumor-suppressor gene p53 and oncogene Ras in a broad spectrum of cancers, and the finding that mutations in these two genes are sufficient to transform mammalian cells, provide us with an excellent model system to approach the problem. It has been proposed that the biological function of p53, either alone or in concert with other oncogenes such as Ras, is to regulate the expression of a subset of genes that are central in cell growth control. We have been using Differential Display technology that we developed and automated to identify and clone these genes by comparing the messenger RNAs between the normal cells versus those transformed by mutations in p53 and Ras. A full array of modern methodologies in molecular biology, immunology and cell biology are employed to functionally characterize these genes. Among these are p53 target genes including NDRG1, Tis11d, Cyphip2 and Killin, which is a key mediator of p53 in S-phase checkpoint control that controls apoptosis. Among ras target genes that we identified, most encode secreted proteins that are involved in either inflammation or cell-matrix adhesion. One of the new proinflammatory cytokines that we discovered is interluekin 24 which plays a central role in epidermal regeneration. The abnormality in IL-24 signaling is associated with skin diseases such as chronic wounds and psoriasis.
- He, M, Liang, P IL-24 Transgenic Mice: In Vivo Evidence of Overlapping Functions for IL-20, IL-22, and IL-24 in the Epidermis. J Immunol, 2010.
- Cho, YJ, Liang, P Killin is a p53-regulated nuclear inhibitor of DNA synthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 105(14), 5396-401, 2008.
- Liang, P, Meade, JD, Pardee, AB A protocol for differential display of mRNA expression using either fluorescent or radioactive labeling. Nat Protoc, 2(3), 457-70, 2007.
- Jackson, RS, Cho, YJ, Stein, S, Liang, P CYFIP2, a direct p53 target, is leptomycin-B sensitive. Cell Cycle, 6(1), 95-103, 2007.
- Liang, S, Rossby, SP, Liang, P, Shelton, RC, Manier, DH, Chakrabarti, A, Sulser, F Detection of an mRNA polymorphism by differential display. Methods Mol Biol, 317279-85, 2006.
- Liang, P From differential display to DNA microarrays--a personal account. J Cell Physiol, 209(3), 653-8, 2006.
- Tan, Z, Wang, M, Liang, P Identification by differential display of IL-24 autocrine loop activated by ras oncogenes. Methods Mol Biol, 317207-18, 2006.
- Cho, YJ, Stein, S, Jackson, RS, Liang, P Saturation screening for p53 target genes by digital fluorescent differential display. Methods Mol Biol, 317179-92, 2006.
- Jackson, RS, Cho, YJ, Liang, P TIS11D is a candidate pro-apoptotic p53 target gene. Cell Cycle, 5(24), 2889-93, 2006.
- Thomas, EK, Nakamura, M, Wienke, D, Isacke, CM, Pozzi, A, Liang, P Endo180 binds to the C-terminal region of type I collagen. J Biol Chem, 280(24), 22596-605, 2005.
- Wang, M, Liang, P Interleukin-24 and its receptors. Immunology, 114(2), 166-70, 2005.
- Wang, M, Tan, Z, Thomas, E K, Liang, P Conservation of the genomic structure and receptor-mediated signaling between human and rat IL-24. Genes Immun, 5(5), 363-70, 2004.
- Shelton, Richard C, Liang, Shan, Liang, Peng, Chakrabarti, Amitabha, Manier, D Hal, Sulser, Fridolin Differential expression of pentraxin 3 in fibroblasts from patients with major depression. Neuropsychopharmacology, 29(1), 126-32, 2004.
- Stein, Susanne, Thomas, Emily K, Herzog, Birger, Westfall, Matthew D, Rocheleau, Jonathan V, Jackson, Roger S, Wang, Mai, Liang, Peng NDRG1 is necessary for p53-dependent apoptosis. J Biol Chem, 279(47), 48930-40, 2004.
- Liang, Peng, Pardee, Arthur B Analysing differential gene expression in cancer. Nat Rev Cancer, 3(11), 869-76, 2003.
- Stein, Susanne, Cho, Yong-Jig, Jackson, Roger S, Liang, Peng Identification of p53 target genes by fluorescent differential display. Methods Mol Biol, 23451-63, 2003.
- Liang, Peng A decade of differential display. Biotechniques, 33(2), 338-44, 346, 2002.
- Stein, S, Liang, P Differential display analysis of gene expression in mammals: a p53 story. Cell Mol Life Sci, 59(8), 1274-9, 2002.
- Wang, Mai, Tan, Zhongjia, Zhang, Rong, Kotenko, Sergei V, Liang, Peng Interleukin 24 (MDA-7/MOB-5) signals through two heterodimeric receptors, IL-22R1/IL-20R2 and IL-20R1/IL-20R2. J Biol Chem, 277(9), 7341-7, 2002.
- Liang, Peng SAGE Genie: a suite with panoramic view of gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 99(18), 11547-8, 2002.
- Cho, Yong-Jig, Prezioso, Vincent R, Liang, Peng Systematic analysis of intrinsic factors affecting differential display. Biotechniques, 32(4), 762-4, 766, 2002.
- Liang, S, Rossby, S P, Liang, P, Shelton, R C, Manier, D H, Chakrabarti, A, Sulser, F Detection of an mRNA polymorphism by differential display. Mol Biotechnol, 19(2), 121-4, 2001.
- Jo, H., Cho, Y., Zhang, H. and Liang P "Differential display analysis of altered gene expression by ras oncogene." Methods in Enzymol. (Academic Press) , 332233-244, 2001.
- Jo, H, Cho, Y J, Zhang, H, Liang, P Differential display analysis of gene expression altered by ras oncogene. Methods Enzymol, 332233-44, 2001.
- Liang, P, Pardee, AB Differential display of mRNA by PCR. Curr Protoc Mol Biol, Chapter 25Unit 25B.3, 2001.
- Cho, Y., Meade, J., Walden, J., Guo, Z. and Liang, P "Multi-color Fluorescent Differential Display." Biotechniques, 30562-572, 2001.
- Cho, Y J, Meade, J D, Walden, J C, Chen, X, Guo, Z, Liang, P Multicolor fluorescent differential display. Biotechniques, 30(3), 562-8, 570, 572, 2001.
- Liang, P "Gene Discovery Using Differential Display." Genetic Engineering News, 2037, 2000.
- Zhang, R., Tan, Z. and Liang, P "Identification of a novel ligand-receptor pair constitutively activated by ras oncogene." J. Biol. Chem., 27524436-24443, 2000.
- Zhang, R, Tan, Z, Liang, P Identification of a novel ligand-receptor pair constitutively activated by ras oncogenes. J Biol Chem, 275(32), 24436-43, 2000.
- Wang, D, Yang, W, Du, J, Devalaraja, M N, Liang, P, Matsumoto, K, Tsubakimoto, K, Endo, T, Richmond, A MGSA/GRO-mediated melanocyte transformation involves induction of Ras expression. Oncogene, 19(40), 4647-59, 2000.
- Jo, H., Zhang, R., Zhang, H. McKinsey, T. A. Ballard, D.W. and Liang, P "NF-kB is required for H-Ras oncogene induced abnormal cell proliferation and tumorigenesis." Oncogene, 19841-849, 2000.
- Jo, H, Zhang, R, Zhang, H, McKinsey, T A, Shao, J, Beauchamp, R D, Ballard, D W, Liang, P NF-kappa B is required for H-ras oncogene induced abnormal cell proliferation and tumorigenesis. Oncogene, 19(7), 841-9, 2000.
- Jo, H, Zhang, H, Zhang, R, Liang, P Cloning oncogenic ras-regulated genes by differential display. Methods, 16(4), 365-72, 1998.
- Liang, P., Editor "Current progress in differential display methods and applications." Methods ------ A Companion to Methods in Enzymology, Academic Press, 161998.
- Liang, P. and Pardee, A. B "Differential Display, a general Protocol." Mol. Biotechnology, 10261-267, 1998.
- Liang, P, Pardee, A B Differential display. A general protocol. Mol Biotechnol, 10(3), 261-7, 1998.
- Liang, P Factors ensuring successful use of differential display. Methods, 16(4), 361-4, 1998.
- Zhang, R., Averboukh, L., Zhu, W., Zhang, H., Jo, H., Dempsey, P.J., Coffey, R., A. B. Pardee and Liang, P "Identification of rCop-1, a New Member of CCN Gene Family, as a Negative Regulator for Cell Transformation." Mol. Cell. Biol, 186131-6141, 1998.
- Zhang, R, Averboukh, L, Zhu, W, Zhang, H, Jo, H, Dempsey, P J, Coffey, R J, Pardee, A B, Liang, P Identification of rCop-1, a new member of the CCN protein family, as a negative regulator for cell transformation. Mol Cell Biol, 18(10), 6131-41, 1998.
- Sheng, H, Williams, C S, Shao, J, Liang, P, DuBois, R N, Beauchamp, R D Induction of cyclooxygenase-2 by activated Ha-ras oncogene in Rat-1 fibroblasts and the role of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J Biol Chem, 273(34), 22120-7, 1998.
- Cloning oncogenic Ras regulated genes by differential display "Jo, Hakryul, Zhang, H., Zhang, R. and Liang, P." Methods ----- A Companion to Methods in Enzymology, Academic Press, 16365-375, 1998.
- Factors Ensuring successful use of differential display "Liang, P." Methods ----- Companion to Methods in Enzymology, Academic Press, 16361-364, 1998.
- Liang, P, Pardee, A B Differential display. A general protocol. Methods Mol Biol, 853-11, 1997.
- Zhang, H, Zhang, R, Liang, P Differential screening of differential display cDNA products by reverse northern. Methods Mol Biol, 8587-93, 1997.
- Zhang, R, Zhang, H, Zhu, W, Pardee, A B, Coffey, R J, Liang, P Mob-1, a Ras target gene, is overexpressed in colorectal cancer. Oncogene, 14(13), 1607-10, 1997.
- Zhang, R., Zhang, H., Zhu, W., Coffey, R., A. B. Pardee and Liang, P "Mob-1, a ras target gene, is over expressed in colorectal cancer." Oncogene , 141607-1610, 1997.
- Zhang, H., Zhang, R. and Liang, P "Differential screening of gene expression difference enriched by differential display." Nucleic Acids Res., 242454-2456, 1996.
- Zhang, H, Zhang, R, Liang, P Differential screening of gene expression difference enriched by differential display. Nucleic Acids Res, 24(12), 2454-5, 1996.
- Liang, P., Bauer, D., Averboukh, L., Warthoe, P. Rohrwild, M., Muller, H., Strauss, M., and Pardee, A. B "Analysis of altered gene expression by differential display." Methods in Enzymology, 254304-321, 1995.
- Liang, P. and Pardee, A. B "Differential display of eukaryotic mRNA by means of the polymerase chain reaction." Science, 257967-971, 1992.