Sarki A. Abdulkadir, M.D, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology
Associate Professor of Cancer Biology
Director of Graduate Studies, Deptartment of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville, TN 37232-5310
The focus of our research is to understand the molecular mechanisms that drive prostate cancer initiation, progression and recurrence. We use genetically engineered mice to model genetic alterations frequently found in human prostate cancer. We have a strong interest in genomics and gene regulation; oncogenic kinases as potential molecular therapeutic targets; as well as the use of in vivo lineage tracing to define the fates of specific cell populations in tumorigenesis.
- Kim, J, Roh, M, Doubinskaia, I, Algarroba, GN, Eltoum, IE, Abdulkadir, SA A mouse model of heterogeneous, c-MYC-initiated prostate cancer with loss of Pten and p53. Oncogene, 31(3), 322-32, 2012.
- Martinez, EE, Anderson, PD, Logan, M, Abdulkadir, SA Antioxidant treatment promotes prostate epithelial proliferation in nkx3.1 mutant mice. PLoS One, 7(10), e46792, 2012.
- Anderson, PD, McKissic, SA, Logan, M, Roh, M, Franco, OE, Wang, J, Doubinskaia, I, van der Meer, R, Hayward, SW, Eischen, CM, Eltoum, IE, Abdulkadir, SA Nkx3.1 and Myc crossregulate shared target genes in mouse and human prostate tumorigenesis. J Clin Invest, 122(5), 1907-19, 2012.
- Wang, J, Anderson, PD, Luo, W, Gius, D, Roh, M, Abdulkadir, SA Pim1 kinase is required to maintain tumorigenicity in MYC-expressing prostate cancer cells. Oncogene, 31(14), 1794-803, 2012.
- Roh, M, van der Meer, R, Abdulkadir, SA Tumorigenic polyploid cells contain elevated ROS and ARE selectively targeted by antioxidant treatment. J Cell Physiol, 227(2), 801-12, 2012.
- Wang, J, Kim, J, Roh, M, Franco, OE, Hayward, SW, Wills, ML, Abdulkadir, SA Pim1 kinase synergizes with c-MYC to induce advanced prostate carcinoma. Oncogene, 2010.
- Kim, J, Roh, M, Abdulkadir, SA Pim1 promotes human prostate cancer cell tumorigenicity and c-MYC transcriptional activity. BMC Cancer, 10(1), 248, 2010.
- Kim, HS, Patel, K, Muldoon-Jacobs, K, Bisht, KS, Aykin-Burns, N, Pennington, JD, van der Meer, R, Nguyen, P, Savage, J, Owens, KM, Vassilopoulos, A, Ozden, O, Park, SH, Singh, KK, Abdulkadir, SA, Spitz, DR, Deng, CX, Gius, D SIRT3 Is a Mitochondria-Localized Tumor Suppressor Required for Maintenance of Mitochondrial Integrity and Metabolism during Stress. Cancer Cell, 17(1), 41-52, 2010.
- Roh, M, Abdulkadir, SA Targeting the endothelin receptor in prostate cancer bone metastasis: Back to the mouse. Cancer Biol Ther, 9(8), 2010.
- Kim, J, Eltoum, IE, Roh, M, Wang, J, Abdulkadir, SA Interactions between cells with distinct mutations in c-MYC and Pten in prostate cancer. PLoS Genet, 5(7), e1000542, 2009.
- Roh, M, Franco, OE, Hayward, SW, van der Meer, R, Abdulkadir, SA A role for polyploidy in the tumorigenicity of Pim-1-expressing human prostate and mammary epithelial cells. PLoS ONE, 3(7), e2572, 2008.
- Mogal, AP, van der Meer, R, Crooke, PS, Abdulkadir, SA Haploinsufficient prostate tumor suppression by NKX3.1: A role for chromatin accessibility in dosage-sensitive gene regulation. J Biol Chem, 282(35), 25790-800, 2007.
- Mogal, A, Abdulkadir, SA Effects of Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor (HDACi); Trichostatin-A (TSA) on the expression of housekeeping genes. Mol Cell Probes, 20(2), 81-86, 2006.
- Yang, SZ, Eltoum, IA, Abdulkadir, SA Enhanced EGR1 activity promotes the growth of prostate cancer cells in an androgen-depleted environment. J Cell Biochem, 97(6), 1292-9, 2006.
- Roh, M, Kim, J, Song, C, Wills, M, Abdulkadir, SA Transgenic mice for Cre-inducible overexpression of the oncogenes c-MYC and Pim-1 in multiple tissues. Genesis, 44(10), 447-53, 2006.
- Roh, M, Song, C, Kim, J, Abdulkadir, SA Chromosomal instability induced by Pim-1 is passage-dependent and associated with dysregulation of cyclin B1. J Biol Chem, 280(49), 40568-77, 2005.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Kim, J Genetically engineered murine models of prostate cancer: insights into mechanisms of tumorigenesis and potential utility. Future Oncol, 1(3), 351-60, 2005.
- Abdulkadir, SA Mechanisms of prostate tumorigenesis: roles for transcription factors nkx3.1 and egr1. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 105933-40, 2005.
- Whiteside, MA, Chen, DT, Desmond, RA, Abdulkadir, SA, Johanning, GL A novel time-course cDNA microarray analysis method identifies genes associated with the development of cisplatin resistance. Oncogene, 23(3), 744-52, 2004.
- Gary, B, Azuero, R, Mohanty, GS, Bell, WC, Eltoum, IE, Abdulkadir, SA Interaction of Nkx3.1 and p27kip1 in prostate tumor initiation. Am J Pathol, 164(5), 1607-14, 2004.
- Zayzafoon, M, Abdulkadir, SA, McDonald, JM Notch signaling and ERK activation are important for the osteomimetic properties of prostate cancer bone metastatic cell lines. J Biol Chem, 279(5), 3662-70, 2004.
- Yang, SZ, Abdulkadir, SA Early growth response gene 1 modulates androgen receptor signaling in prostate carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem, 278(41), 39906-11, 2003.
- Magee, JA, Abdulkadir, SA, Milbrandt, J Haploinsufficiency at the Nkx3.1 locus. A paradigm for stochastic, dosage-sensitive gene regulation during tumor initiation. Cancer Cell, 3(3), 273-83, 2003.
- Roh, M, Gary, B, Song, C, Said-Al-Naief, N, Tousson, A, Kraft, A, Eltoum, IE, Abdulkadir, SA Overexpression of the oncogenic kinase Pim-1 leads to genomic instability. Cancer Res, 63(23), 8079-84, 2003.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Magee, JA, Peters, TJ, Kaleem, Z, Naughton, CK, Humphrey, PA, Milbrandt, J Conditional loss of Nkx3.1 in adult mice induces prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Mol Cell Biol, 22(5), 1495-503, 2002.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Carbone, JM, Naughton, CK, Humphrey, PA, Catalona, WJ, Milbrandt, J Frequent and early loss of the EGR1 corepressor NAB2 in human prostate carcinoma. Hum Pathol, 32(9), 935-9, 2001.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Qu, Z, Garabedian, E, Song, SK, Peters, TJ, Svaren, J, Carbone, JM, Naughton, CK, Catalona, WJ, Ackerman, JJ, Gordon, JI, Humphrey, PA, Milbrandt, J Impaired prostate tumorigenesis in Egr1-deficient mice. Nat Med, 7(1), 101-7, 2001.
- Ehrig, T, Abdulkadir, SA, Dintzis, SM, Milbrandt, J, Watson, MA Quantitative amplification of genomic DNA from histological tissue sections after staining with nuclear dyes and laser capture microdissection. J Mol Diagn, 3(1), 22-5, 2001.
- Svaren, J, Ehrig, T, Abdulkadir, SA, Ehrengruber, MU, Watson, MA, Milbrandt, J EGR1 target genes in prostate carcinoma cells identified by microarray analysis. J Biol Chem, 275(49), 38524-31, 2000.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Carvalhal, GF, Kaleem, Z, Kisiel, W, Humphrey, PA, Catalona, WJ, Milbrandt, J Tissue factor expression and angiogenesis in human prostate carcinoma. Hum Pathol, 31(4), 443-7, 2000.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Casolaro, V, Tai, AK, Thanos, D, Ono, SJ High mobility group I/Y protein functions as a specific cofactor for Oct-2A: mapping of interaction domains. J Leukoc Biol, 64(5), 681-91, 1998.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Krishna, S, Thanos, D, Maniatis, T, Strominger, JL, Ono, SJ Functional roles of the transcription factor Oct-2A and the high mobility group protein I/Y in HLA-DRA gene expression. J Exp Med, 182(2), 487-500, 1995.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Ono, SJ How are class II MHC genes turned on and off. FASEB J, 9(14), 1429-35, 1995.
- Casolaro, V, Georas, SN, Song, Z, Zubkoff, ID, Abdulkadir, SA, Thanos, D, Ono, SJ Inhibition of NF-AT-dependent transcription by NF-kappa B: implications for differential gene expression in T helper cell subsets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 92(25), 11623-7, 1995.
- Abdulkadir, SA Cholera and cholera-like diarrhoeal diseases: why the differences in severity. Med Hypotheses, 34(3), 278-81, 1991.
- Abdulkadir, SA, Pate, MA Vitamin B complex for chloroquine-induced pruritis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg, 84(6), 898, 1990.