Shawn Levy, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics and Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
Director, Vanderbilt Microarray Shared Resource
400 Eskind Biomedical Library
2209 Garland Ave
Nashville, TN 37232-8340
Research is mitochondrial biology, structural transcriptomics, genomics and integrative bioinformatics.
My research interests involve structural and functional genomics, technology
development and the development of bioinformatic tools to integrate data gathered from diverse technological platforms such as gene expression profiles from DNA microarrays with protein expression patterns from Mass Spectrometry. Other research interests include the study of the mitochondrial protein Apoptosis Initiating Factor and related caspase-independent apoptosis, metabolic regulation and mitochondrial genetics as they relate to certain types of cancers.
- Slebos, RJ, Yi, Y, Ely, K, Carter, J, Evjen, A, Zhang, X, Shyr, Y, Murphy, BM, Cmelak, AJ, Burkey, BB, Netterville, JL, Levy, S, Yarbrough, WG, Chung, CH Gene expression differences associated with human papillomavirus status in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 12(3 Pt 1), 701-9, 2006.
- Statnikov, A, Aliferis, CF, Tsamardinos, I, Hardin, D, Levy, S A comprehensive evaluation of multicategory classification methods for microarray gene expression cancer diagnosis. Bioinformatics, 21(5), 631-43, 2005.
- Chung, CH, Levy, S, Yarbrough, WG Clinical applications of genomics in head and neck cancer. Head Neck, 2005.
- Park, YK, Franklin, JL, Settle, SH, Levy, SE, Chung, E, Jeyakumar, LH, Shyr, Y, Washington, MK, Whitehead, RH, Aronow, BJ, Coffey, RJ Gene expression profile analysis of mouse colon embryonic development. Genesis, 41(1), 1-12, 2005.
- Xie, L, Xu, BJ, Gorska, AE, Shyr, Y, Schwartz, SA, Cheng, N, Levy, S, Bierie, B, Caprioli, RM, Moses, HL Genomic and proteomic analysis of mammary tumors arising in transgenic mice. J Proteome Res, 4(6), 2088-98, 2005.
- Sforza DM, Annese J, Lui D, Levy SE, Toga AW, Smith DJ "Anotomical methods for voxelation of the mammalian brain." Neurochemical Research, 29(6), 1299-1306, 2004.
- McQuain, MK, Seale, K, Peek, J, Fisher, TS, Levy, S, Stremler, MA, Haselton, FR Chaotic mixer improves microarray hybridization. Anal Biochem, 325(2), 215-26, 2004.
- Friedman, DB, Hill, S, Keller, JW, Merchant, NB, Levy, SE, Coffey, RJ, Caprioli, RM Proteome analysis of human colon cancer by two-dimensional difference gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometry. Proteomics, 4(3), 793-811, 2004.
- Law AKT, Gupta D, Levy SE, Wallace DC, McKeon RJ, Buck CR "TGF-β1 induction of the adenine nucleotide translocator 1 in astrocytes occurs through Smads and Sp1 transcription factors." BMC Neuroscience, 5(1), 2004.
- Kokoszka, JE, Waymire, KG, Levy, SE, Sligh, JE, Cai, J, Jones, DP, MacGregor, GR, Wallace, DC The ADP/ATP translocator is not essential for the mitochondrial permeability transition pore. Nature, 427(6973), 461-5, 2004.
- Yamagata, N, Shyr, Y, Yanagisawa, K, Edgerton, M, Dang, TP, Gonzalez, A, Nadaf, S, Larsen, P, Roberts, JR, Nesbitt, JC, Jensen, R, Levy, S, Moore, JH, Minna, JD, Carbone, DP A training-testing approach to the molecular classification of resected non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 9(13), 4695-704, 2003.
- McQuain, MK, Seale, K, Peek, J, Levy, S, Haselton, FR Effects of relative humidity and buffer additives on the contact printing of microarrays by quill pins. Anal Biochem, 320(2), 281-91, 2003.
- Levy, SE Microarray analysis in drug discovery: an uplifting view of depression. Sci STKE, 2003(206), pe46, 2003.
- Levy, SE, Muldowney, JA Microarray analysis of neointima: flowing toward a clear future. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 22(12), 1946-7, 2002.
- Levy, SE, Chen, YS, Graham, BH, Wallace, DC Expression and sequence analysis of the mouse adenine nucleotide translocase 1 and 2 genes. Gene, 254(1-2), 57-66, 2000.
- Sligh, JE, Levy, SE, Waymire, KG, Allard, P, Dillehay, DL, Nusinowitz, S, Heckenlively, JR, MacGregor, GR, Wallace, DC Maternal germ-line transmission of mutant mtDNAs from embryonic stem cell-derived chimeric mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 97(26), 14461-6, 2000.
- Levy, SE, Waymire, KG, Kim, YL, MacGregor, GR, Wallace, DC Transfer of chloramphenicol-resistant mitochondrial DNA into the chimeric mouse. Transgenic Res, 8(2), 137-45, 1999.