Takamune Takahashi, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Nephrology)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
S-3223 Medical Center North
Nashville, TN 37232-2372
Molecular Basis of Angiogenesis, Renal Biology and Pathology, Endothelial Pathology
Angiogenesis, formation of new blood vessels, is a pivotal process in organogenesis and tissue regeneration, requiring ordered endothelial cell proliferation, migration, and homotypic and heterotypic intercellular adhesion. However, when angiogenesis is induced (and unregulated) in pathological conditions, it greatly contributes to the progression of disease, including cancer, diabetes, ischemic, and inflammatory disorders. Thus, definition of the intrinsic molecular controls that regulate angiogenic vessel growth promises novel therapeutic approaches for angiogenesis-associated diseases.
In the recent decades, investigators have identified various endothelial cell surface receptors and their activating ligands that promote and coordinate angiogenic vessel formation. However, much less is known about the endothelial receptors that transduce "anti-angiogenic (or angiostatic)" signals, though they could be used for angiogenesis inhibition. CD148 (DEP-1/PTPeta) is a transmembrane tyrosine phosphatase which is abundantly expressed in vascular endothelial cells of various tissues. We have shown that CD148 suppresses endothelial growth factor signals and strongly inhibits endothelial cell growth in culture and in vivo. Further, we have recently found that thrombospondin-1 (TSP-1) serves as an agonistic ligand for CD148. We are currently determining: 1. the role of CD148 in postnatal angiogenesis (physiological and pathological); 2. the role of TSP-1 and CD148 interaction in angiogenesis. These efforts should explore new pathways of angiogenesis inhibition and provide a novel strategy for anti-angiogenesis therapy.
Another project in the lab examines the mechanisms of diabetic renal microvascular injury. We found that loss of eNOS or SOD enzyme largely exacerbates diabetic glomerular microvascular injury in mice. The lab examines the detailed mechanisms of this using conditional as well as global knockout mouse.
Last, as a primary lab of Vanderbilt O¿¿¿Brien Mouse Kidney Physiology and Disease Center (MKPDC), the lab and VUIIS scientists are developing non-invasive kidney imaging techniques that enable structural, functional, and molecular assessments of mouse kidney disease in living animals.
- Tantawy, MN, Jiang, R, Wang, F, Takahashi, K, Peterson, TE, Zemel, D, Hao, CM, Fujita, H, Harris, RC, Quarles, CC, Takahashi, T Assessment of renal function in mice with unilateral ureteral obstruction using 99mTc-MAG3 dynamic scintigraphy. BMC Nephrol, 13168, 2012.
- Jiang, R, Wang, S, Takahashi, K, Fujita, H, Fruci, CR, Breyer, MD, Harris, RC, Takahashi, T Generation of a conditional allele for the mouse endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene. Genesis, 50(9), 685-92, 2012.
- Zhang, MZ, Wang, S, Yang, S, Yang, H, Fan, X, Takahashi, T, Harris, RC Role of blood pressure and the renin-angiotensin system in development of diabetic nephropathy (DN) in eNOS-/- db/db mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol, 302(4), F433-8, 2012.
- Fujita, H, Fujishima, H, Takahashi, K, Sato, T, Shimizu, T, Morii, T, Shimizu, T, Shirasawa, T, Qi, Z, Breyer, MD, Harris, RC, Yamada, Y, Takahashi, T SOD1, but not SOD3, deficiency accelerates diabetic renal injury in C57BL/6-Ins2(Akita) diabetic mice. Metabolism, 2012.
- Takahashi, K, Mernaugh, RL, Friedman, DB, Weller, R, Tsuboi, N, Yamashita, H, Quaranta, V, Takahashi, T Thrombospondin-1 acts as a ligand for CD148 tyrosine phosphatase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 109(6), 1985-90, 2012.
- Beckham, JT, Wilmink, GJ, Opalenik, SR, Mackanos, MA, Abraham, AA, Takahashi, K, Contag, CH, Takahashi, T, Jansen, ED Microarray analysis of cellular thermotolerance. Lasers Surg Med, 42(10), 752-65, 2010.
- Tarcic, G, Boguslavsky, SK, Wakim, J, Kiuchi, T, Liu, A, Reinitz, F, Nathanson, D, Takahashi, T, Mischel, PS, Ng, T, Yarden, Y An unbiased screen identifies DEP-1 tumor suppressor as a phosphatase controlling EGFR endocytosis. Curr Biol, 19(21), 1788-98, 2009.
- Fujita, H, Fujishima, H, Chida, S, Takahashi, K, Qi, Z, Kanetsuna, Y, Breyer, MD, Harris, RC, Yamada, Y, Takahashi, T Reduction of Renal Superoxide Dismutase in Progressive Diabetic Nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol, 20(6), 1303-1313, 2009.
- Sacco, F, Tinti, M, Palma, A, Ferrari, E, Nardozza, AP, Hooft van Huijsduijnen, R, Takahashi, T, Castagnoli, L, Cesareni, G Tumor suppressor density-enhanced phosphatase-1 (DEP-1) inhibits the RAS pathway by direct dephosphorylation of ERK1/2 kinases. J Biol Chem, 2009.
- Yamamoto, I, Horita, S, Takahashi, T, Kobayashi, A, Toki, D, Tanabe, K, Hattori, M, Teraoka, S, Aita, K, Nagata, M, Yamaguchi, Y Caveolin-1 expression is a distinct feature of chronic rejection-induced transplant capillaropathy. Am J Transplant, 8(12), 2627-35, 2008.
- Ito, H, Fujita, H, Takahashi, T Diagnostic biomarkers of diabetic nephropathy. Expert Opin Med Diagn, 2(2), 161-9, 2008.
- Fang, WB, Ireton, RC, Zhuang, G, Takahashi, T, Reynolds, A, Chen, J Overexpression of EPHA2 receptor destabilizes adherens junctions via a RhoA-dependent mechanism. J Cell Sci, 121(Pt 3), 358-68, 2008.
- Beckham, JT, Wilmink, GJ, Mackanos, MA, Takahashi, K, Contag, CH, Takahashi, T, Jansen, ED Role of HSP70 in cellular thermotolerance. Lasers Surg Med, 40(10), 704-15, 2008.
- Tsuboi, N, Utsunomiya, T, Roberts, RL, Ito, H, Takahashi, K, Noda, M, Takahashi, T The tyrosine phosphatase CD148 interacts with the p85 regulatory subunit of phosphoinositide 3-kinase. Biochem J, 413(1), 193-200, 2008.
- Faley, SL, Takahashi, K, Crooke, CE, Beckham, JT, Tomemori, T, Shappell, SB, Jansen, ED, Takahashi, T Bioluminescence imaging of vascular endothelial growth factor promoter activity in murine mammary tumorigenesis. Mol Imaging, 6(5), 331-9, 2007.
- Kanetsuna, Y, Takahashi, K, Nagata, M, Gannon, MA, Breyer, MD, Harris, RC, Takahashi, T Deficiency of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase confers susceptibility to diabetic nephropathy in nephropathy-resistant inbred mice. Am J Pathol, 170(5), 1473-84, 2007.
- Breyer, MD, Tchekneva, E, Qi, Z, Takahashi, T, Fogo, AB, Harris, RC Examining diabetic nephropathy through the lens of mouse genetics. Curr Diab Rep, 7(6), 459-66, 2007.
- Breyer, MD, Tchekneva, E, Qi, Z, Takahashi, T, Fogo, AB, Zhao, HJ, Harris, RC Genetics of diabetic nephropathy: lessons from mice. Semin Nephrol, 27(2), 237-47, 2007.
- Yamamoto, I, Horita, S, Takahashi, T, Tanabe, K, Fuchinoue, S, Teraoka, S, Hattori, M, Yamaguchi, Y Glomerular expression of plasmalemmal vesicle-associated protein-1 in patients with transplant glomerulopathy. Am J Transplant, 7(8), 1954-60, 2007.
- Takahashi, T, Takahashi, K, Mernaugh, RL, Tsuboi, N, Liu, H, Daniel, TO A monoclonal antibody against CD148, a receptor-like tyrosine phosphatase, inhibits endothelial-cell growth and angiogenesis. Blood, 108(4), 1234-42, 2006.
- Kanetsuna, Y, Hirano, K, Nagata, M, Gannon, MA, Takahashi, K, Harris, RC, Breyer, MD, Takahashi, T Characterization of diabetic nephropathy in a transgenic model of hypoinsulinemic diabetes. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol, 291(6), F1315-22, 2006.
- Takahashi, T, Morrow, JD, Wang, H, Dey, SK Cyclooxygenase-2-derived prostaglandin E(2) directs oocyte maturation by differentially influencing multiple signaling pathways. J Biol Chem, 281(48), 37117-29, 2006.
- Chen, J, Boyle, S, Zhao, M, Su, W, Takahashi, K, Davis, L, Decaestecker, M, Takahashi, T, Breyer, MD, Hao, CM Differential expression of the intermediate filament protein nestin during renal development and its localization in adult podocytes. J Am Soc Nephrol, 17(5), 1283-91, 2006.
- Zhao, HJ, Wang, S, Cheng, H, Zhang, MZ, Takahashi, T, Fogo, AB, Breyer, MD, Harris, RC Endothelial nitric oxide synthase deficiency produces accelerated nephropathy in diabetic mice. J Am Soc Nephrol, 17(10), 2664-9, 2006.
- Wang, H, Xie, H, Guo, Y, Zhang, H, Takahashi, T, Kingsley, PJ, Marnett, LJ, Das, SK, Cravatt, BF, Dey, SK Fatty acid amide hydrolase deficiency limits early pregnancy events. J Clin Invest, 116(8), 2122-31, 2006.
- Anumanthan, G, Halder, SK, Osada, H, Takahashi, T, Massion, PP, Carbone, DP, Datta, PK Restoration of TGF-beta signalling reduces tumorigenicity in human lung cancer cells. Br J Cancer, 93(10), 1157-67, 2005.
- Beckham, Joshua T, Mackanos, Mark A, Crooke, Cornelia, Takahashi, Takamune, O''Connell-Rodwell, Caitlin, Contag, Christopher H, Jansen, E Duco Assessment of cellular response to thermal laser injury through bioluminescence imaging of heat shock protein 70. Photochem Photobiol, 79(1), 76-85, 2004.
- Xu, Y, Kashiwakura, I, Takahashi, TA High sensitivity of megakaryocytic progenitor cells contained in placental/umbilical cord blood to the stresses during cryopreservation. Bone Marrow Transplant, 34(6), 537-43, 2004.
- Parker, M, Roberts, R, Enriquez, M, Zhao, X, Takahashi, T, Pat Cerretti, D, Daniel, T, Chen, J Reverse endocytosis of transmembrane ephrin-B ligands via a clathrin-mediated pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 323(1), 17-23, 2004.
- Takahashi, T, Takahashi, K, St John, PL, Fleming, PA, Tomemori, T, Watanabe, T, Abrahamson, DR, Drake, CJ, Shirasawa, T, Daniel, TO A mutant receptor tyrosine phosphatase, CD148, causes defects in vascular development. Mol Cell Biol, 23(5), 1817-31, 2003.
- Grazia Lampugnani M, Zanetti A, Corada M, Takahashi T, Balconi G, Breviario F, Orsenigo F, Cattelino A, Kemler R, Daniel TO, Dejana E. Contact inhibition of VEGF-induced proliferation requires vascular endothelial cadherin, beta-catenin, and the phosphatase DEP-1/CD148.. J Cell Biol., 26(161), 793-804, 2003.
- Usui J, Kurihara H, Shu Y, Tomari S, Kanemoto K, Koyama A, Sakai T, Takahashi T, Nagata M. Localization of intercellular adherens junction protein p120 catenin during podocyte differentiation.. Anat Embryol (Berl). , 206(3), 175-84, 2003.
- Takahashi, T, Takahashi, K, Gerety, S, Wang, H, Anderson, DJ, Daniel, TO Temporally compartmentalized expression of ephrin-B2 during renal glomerular development. J Am Soc Nephrol, 12(12), 2673-82, 2001.
- Dikov, MM, Oyama, T, Cheng, P, Takahashi, T, Takahashi, K, Sepetavec, T, Edwards, B, Adachi, Y, Nadaf, S, Daniel, T, Gabrilovich, DI, Carbone, DP Vascular endothelial growth factor effects on nuclear factor-kappaB activation in hematopoietic progenitor cells. Cancer Res, 61(5), 2015-21, 2001.
- Daniel, TO, Stein, E, Huynh-Do, U, Takahashi, T 4 signaling between endothelial progenitor cell. J Histochem Cytochem, 47(12), 1643C-1644, 1999.
- Takahashi, T, Takahashi, K, Mernaugh, R, Drozdoff, V, Sipe, C, Schoecklmann, H, Robert, B, Abrahamson, DR, Daniel, TO Endothelial localization of receptor tyrosine phosphatase, ECRTP/DEP-1, in developing and mature renal vasculature. J Am Soc Nephrol, 10(10), 2135-45, 1999.
- Takahashi T., Takahashi K. and Daniel TO. "High Efficiency & Low Toxicity Adenovirus- assisted Endothelial Transfection.." Methods in Molecular Medicine, Vascular Disease: Molecular Biology and Gene Therapy Protocols., 304-314, 1999.
- Takahashi, T, Huynh-Do, U, Daniel, TO Renal microvascular assembly and repair: power and promise of molecular definition. Kidney Int, 53(4), 826-35, 1998.
- Takahashi T, Shirasawa T, Miyake K, Yahagi Y, Matsumura O, Abe A, Natori Y, Yamabe H, Utsunomiya Y, Maruyama N, Mitarai T, Sakai O. Jak3 expression in glomerular epithelia of IgA nephropathy (IgA-N) patients.. Clin Exp Immunol., 104(3), 517-24, 1996.
- Park SY, Saijo K, Takahashi T, Osawa M, Arase H, Hirayama N, Miyake K, Nakauchi H, Shirasawa T, Saito T. Developmental defects of lymphoid cells in Jak3 kinase-deficient mice.. Immunity., 3(6), 771-82, 1995.
- Takahashi T, Shirasawa T, Miyake K, Yahagi Y, Maruyama N, Kasahara N, Kawamura T, Matsumura O, Mitarai T, Sakai O. Protein tyrosine kinases expressed in glomeruli and cultured glomerular cells: Flt-1 and VEGF expression in renal mesangial cells.. Biochem Biophys Res Commun., 209(1), 218-26, 1995.
- Takahashi T, Shirasawa T. Molecular cloning of rat JAK3, a novel member of the JAK family of protein tyrosine kinases.. FEBS Lett., 342(2), 124-8, 1994.