Todd D. Giorgio, Ph.D.
Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Cancer Biology Chemical Engineering
Associate Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering
Vanderbilt University School of Engineering
5824 Stevenson Center
Nashville, TN 37232
The application of quantitative analytical and calculational tools, which are primarily optical techniques, to solve significant problems in mammalian systems.
The characterization of many interesting and important problems in biology and medicine demands rapid, perhaps continuous, measurements conducted on single cells. Our research team seeks to develop quantitative analytical and calculational tools used to understand fundamental cellular behavior. The application of these tools, which are primarily optical techniques, to the solution of significant problems in mammalian systems is our overall aim. The practical application of human gene therapy delivered by cationic liposome vehicles has been limited by insufficient transgene synthesis. Our group is working toward identification of the key regulatory events in intracellular plasmid delivery and processing. We use our results to design and test specific, directed modifications of the gene delivery process for optimization of transgene synthesis. Understanding the cellular roles in vascular disease and post-angioplasty restenosis is critical to the development of successful clinical interventions. The relatively uncontrolled conditions of most in vivo studies, however, often leads to difficult interpretation of the measurements obtained by these techniques. Our team seeks to characterize platelet-leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions in an in vitro model of vascular damage which includes controlled fluid shear forces to test and develop antithrombotic strategies.
Current Projects Include: 1. In a single cell, how is intracellular plasmid copy number related to transgene expression? 2. What mechanisms are responsible for cellular binding and incorporation of cationic liposome/plasmid complexes? 3. How does intracellular processing of delivered plasmid modulate transgene expression? 4. What is the significance of platelet activation in the fluid suspension in modulating platelet and leukocyte adhesion to vascular damage? 5. Which lymphocytes form platelet conjugates and adhere to vascular damage during exposure to fluid shear stress? 6. What is the role of lymphocyte-platelet conjugates in the cellular response to vascular damage?
- Kuhn, SJ, Hallahan, DE, Giorgio, TD Characterization of superparamagnetic nanoparticle interactions with extracellular matrix in an in vitro system. Ann Biomed Eng, 34(1), 51-8, 2006.
- Kuhn, SJ, Finch, SK, Hallahan, DE, Giorgio, TD Proteolytic surface functionalization enhances in vitro magnetic nanoparticle mobility through extracellular matrix. Nano Lett, 6(2), 306-12, 2006.
- Harris, SS, Giorgio, TD Convective flow increases lipoplex delivery rate to in vitro cellular monolayers. Gene Ther, 12(6), 512-20, 2005.
- Smith, RA, Giorgio, TD Cell-based screening: a high throughput flow cytometry platform for identification of cell-specific targeting molecules. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen, 7(2), 141-51, 2004.
- Giorgio, TD, Wyatt, SK DNA delivery to cells in culture using PNA clamps. Methods Mol Biol, 24553-66, 2004.
- Wyatt, SK, Giorgio, TD DNA delivery to cells in culture using cationic liposomes. Methods Mol Biol, 24583-94, 2004.
- Smith, RA, Giorgio, TD Quantitation and kinetics of CD51 surface receptor expression: implications for targeted delivery. Ann Biomed Eng, 32(5), 635-44, 2004.
- Banks, GA, Roselli, RJ, Chen, R, Giorgio, TD A model for the analysis of nonviral gene therapy. Gene Ther, 10(20), 1766-75, 2003.
- Pfeiffer S, Zorn GL, Zhang JP, Farley SM, Giorgio TD, Robson SC, Azimzadeh AM and Pierson RN Hyperacute lung rejection in the pig-to-human model: platelet receptor inhibitors synergistically modulate complement activation and lung injury. Transplantation, 75953-959, 2003.
- Hallahan DE, Geng L, Qu C, Scarfone S, Giorgio TD, Donnelly E, Gao X, Clanton J Integrin-mediated targeting of drug delivery to irradiated tumor blood vessels. Cancer Cell, 363-74, 2003.
- Hallahan DE, Qu S, Geng L, Cmelak A, Chakravarthy A, Martin W, Scarfone C, Giorgio TD "Radiation-mediated control of drug delivery." American Journal of Clinical Oncology , 24473-480, 2001.
- James M and Giorgio TD "Nuclear-associated plasmid, but not cell-associated plasmid, is correlated with transgene expression in cultured mammalian cells." Molecular Therapy , 1339-346, 2000.
- James, MB, Giorgio, TD Nuclear-associated plasmid, but not cell-associated plasmid, is correlated with transgene expression in cultured mammalian cells. Mol Ther, 1(4), 339-46, 2000.
- Tseng W, Haselton, FR and Giorgio TD "Mitosis activates transgene expression of plasmid delivered by cationic liposomes." Biochimica Biophysica Acta , 144553-64, 1999.
- Tseng, WC, Haselton, FR, Giorgio, TD Mitosis enhances transgene expression of plasmid delivered by cationic liposomes. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1445(1), 53-64, 1999.
- Montero GA, Giorgio TD and Schnelle KB "Supercritical fluid extraction of contaminated soil." The Journal of Environmental Science and Health, A32481-495, 1997.
- Tseng W, Haselton, FR and Giorgio TD "Transfection by cationic liposomes using simultaneous single cell measurements of plasmid delivery and transgene expression." Journal of Biological Chemistry , 25641-25647, 1997.
- Tseng, WC, Haselton, FR, Giorgio, TD Transfection by cationic liposomes using simultaneous single cell measurements of plasmid delivery and transgene expression. J Biol Chem, 272(41), 25641-7, 1997.
- Tseng W, Purvis NB, Haselton FR and Giorgio TD "Cationic liposomal delivery of plasmid to endothelial cells measured by quantitative flow cytometry." Biotechnology and Bioengineering , 50548-554, 1996.
- Montero GA, Giorgio TD and Schnelle KB "Scale-up and economic analysis for the design of supercritical fluid extraction : equipment for remediation of soi." Environmental Progress , 15112-121, 1996.
- Montero GA, Giorgio TD and Schnelle KB "Removal of hazardous contaminants from soils by supercritical fluid extraction." ACS Symposium Series, 608281-297, 1995.
- Giorgio TD and Yek SH "The effect of bilayer composition on calcium ion transport facilitated by fluid shear stress." Biochimica Biophysica Acta, 123939-44, 1995.
- Giorgio, TD, Yek, SH The effect of bilayer composition on calcium ion transport facilitated by fluid shear stress. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1239(1), 39-44, 1995.
- Purvis NB and Giorgio TD "Cell size and surface area determined by flow cytometry." Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 714306-308, 1994.
- Purvis, NB, Giorgio, TD Cell size and surface area determined by flow cytometry. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 714306-8, 1994.
- Rozga J, Morsiani E, LePage E, Moscioni AD, Giorgio T and Demetriou AA "Isolated hepatocytes in a bioartificial liver: a single group view and experience." Biotechnology and Bioengineering , 43645-653, 1994.
- Nicholson NS, Panzer-Knodle SG, King LW, Taite BB, Keller BT, Tjoeng FS, Engleman VW, Giorgio TD and Feigen LP "SC-49992 - a potent and specific inhibitor of platelet aggregation." Thrombosis Research , 74523-535, 1994.
- Purvis NB, Giorgio TD, Stelzer, GT and Shults, KE "Shear- induced platelet activation measured by flow cytometry." Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 714309-311, 1994.
- Purvis, NB, Giorgio, TD, Stelzer, GT, Shults, KE Shear-induced platelet activation measured by flow cytometry. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 714309-11, 1994.
- Rozga J, Holzman MD, Ro MS, Griffin DW, Neuzil DF, Giorgio T, Moscioni AD and Demetriou AA "Development of a bioartificial liver." Annals of Surgery , 217502-509, 1993.
- Rozga J, Williams F, Ro MS, Neuzil DF, Giorgio TD, Backfisch G, Moscioni AD, Hakim R and Demetriou AA "Development of a bioartificial liver: properties and function of a hollow-fiber module inoculated with liver cells." Hepatology, 17258-265, 1993.
- Rozga, J, Williams, F, Ro, MS, Neuzil, DF, Giorgio, TD, Backfisch, G, Moscioni, AD, Hakim, R, Demetriou, AA Development of a bioartificial liver: properties and function of a hollow-fiber module inoculated with liver cells. Hepatology, 17(2), 258-65, 1993.
- Giorgio, TD, Moscioni, AD, Rozga, J, Demetriou, AA Mass transfer in a hollow fiber device used as a bioartificial liver. ASAIO J, 39(4), 886-92, 1993.
- Giorgio TD, Moscioni AD, Rozga J and Demetriou AA "transfer in a hollow fiber device used as a bioartificial liver." ASAIO Journal , 39886-892, 1993.
- Sharp J and Giorgio T "Combined Instruction: chemical engineering and technical communication - eleven years later." ASEE Annual Proceedings , 21273-1276, 1992.
- Chakravarthy SR and Giorgio TD "Shear stress facilitated calcium ion transport across lipid bilayers." Biochimica Biophysica Acta, 1112197-204 , 1992.
- Chakravarthy, SR, Giorgio, TD Shear stress-facilitated calcium ion transport across lipid bilayers. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1112(2), 197-204, 1992.
- Dowd CJ, Tanner RD, Giorgio TD and Stirm SC "Light Mediated Yeast Cell Growth and Metabolism." Korean Journal of Biotechnology and Bioengineering , 6299-307, 1991.
- Purvis, NB, Giorgio, TD The effects of elongational stress exposure on the activation and aggregation of blood platelets. Biorheology, 28(5), 355-67, 1991.
- Purvis NB and Giorgio TD "The effects of elongational stress exposure on the activation and aggregation of blood platelets." Biorheology , 28355-367, 1991.
- Giorgio TD and Hellums JD "A cone and plate viscometer for the continuous measurement of blood platelet activation." Biorheology , 25605-624, 1988.
- Giorgio TD and Hellums JD "Inhibition of shear stress-induced platelet activation by commercial luminescence reagents." Thrombosis Research , 49643-647, 1988.
- Giorgio TD and Hellums JD "A note on the use of indo-1 in studying shear-induced platelet aggregation." Thrombosis Research , 50351-356, 1987.
- Giorgio TD and Hellums JD "Continuous monitoring of platelet activation reactions in a controlled shear field." Microcirculation, 1 621-622, 1987.
- Peterson DM, Stathopoulos N, Giorgio TD, Hellums JD, and Moake JL "Shear induced platelet aggregation requires von Willebrand factor and platelet membrane glycoproteins." Blood, 69625-628, 1987.
- Hellums JD, Peterson DM, Stathopoulos NA, Moake JL, and Giorgio TD "Studies on the Mechanisms of Shear-Induced Platelet Activation." Cerebral Ischemia and Hemorheology, 80-89, 1987.
- Giorgio TD and Hellums JD "A note on the use of quin2 in studying shear-induced platelet aggregation." Thrombosis Research , 37353-359, 1986.