Todd L Edwards, M.S., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Epidemiology)
2525 West End Ave
Nashville, TN 37209
I am a genetic epidemiologist with research interests in colorectal and prostate cancers, as well as disparities, cardiovascular, and methodological research. I work with several cohorts on campus, including the BioVU electronic medical record DNA biorepository, the Southern Community Cohort Study, and the Shanghai Men's and Women's Health Studies.
- BS Biology
- MS Statistics
- PhD Human Genetics
I perform research to develop statistical approaches and discover the genetic determinants of traits in diverse human populations.
Discovering the genetic determinants of complex diseases is a multidisciplinary endeavor, featuring elements of biology, epidemiology, computer science, and statistics. My research is focused on studying the heritable factors that modulate the risk of diseases, and developing statistical methods and software that make these investigations more efficient. To accomplish the goals of my laboratory, a combination of statistical techniques are applied to test hypotheses in large-scale genetic data from populations of persons at risk for several traits, such as obesity, hypertension, blood pressure, body mass index, colorectal cancer, colorectal polyps, and endometrial cancer. My laboratory works with genetic data from several populations, including African Americans, Chinese from Shanghai, and community-based studies in the Nashville area. Additionally, my laboratory employs high-performance computational resources at Vanderbilt to simulate genetic data from human populations in which to model disease genes and evaluate novel statistical techniques. Currently my laboratory is developing procedures and statistical techniques for designing efficient next-generation sequencing experiments to follow up or augment discoveries from genome-wide association studies. Accomplishing these goals requires familiarity with epidemiologic study design, population genetics, and currently available technology. Members of my laboratory would have many opportunities to develop projects either studying complex genetic traits, developing statistical methods for current and future studies, or a combination of both. Our objectives will be to make contributions to public health and basic science through the study of genetic epidemiology.
- Edwards, TL, Shrubsole, MJ, Cai, Q, Li, G, Dai, Q, Rex, DK, Ulbright, TM, Fu, Z, Murff, HJ, Smalley, W, Ness, R, Zheng, W A study of prostaglandin pathway genes and interactions with current nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use in colorectal adenoma. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 5(6), 855-63, 2012.
- Edwards, TL, Velez Edwards, DR, Villegas, R, Cohen, SS, Buchowski, MS, Fowke, JH, Schlundt, D, Long, J, Long, JR, Cai, Q, Zheng, W, Shu, XO, Hargreaves, MK, Smith, J, Jeffrey, S, Williams, SM, Signorello, LB, Blot, WJ, Matthews, CE HTR1B, ADIPOR1, PPARGC1A, and CYP19A1 and obesity in a cohort of Caucasians and African Americans: an evaluation of gene-environment interactions and candidate genes. Am J Epidemiol, 175(1), 11-21, 2012.
- Edwards, TL, Gao, X Methods for detecting and correcting for population stratification. Curr Protoc Hum Genet, Chapter 1Unit 1.22.1-14, 2012.
- Jia, P, Wang, L, Fanous, AH, Pato, CN, Edwards, TL, , , Zhao, Z Network-Assisted Investigation of Combined Causal Signals from Genome-Wide Association Studies in Schizophrenia. PLoS Comput Biol, 8(7), e1002587, 2012.
- Edwards, TL, Li, C Optimized selection of unrelated subjects for whole-genome sequencing studies of rare high-penetrance alleles. Genet Epidemiol, 36(5), 472-9, 2012.
- Edwards, TL, Song, Z, Li, C Enriching targeted sequencing experiments for rare disease alleles. Bioinformatics, 27(15), 2112-8, 2011.
- Villegas, R, Williams, S, Gao, Y, Cai, Q, Li, H, Elasy, T, Cai, H, Edwards, T, Xiang, YB, Zheng, W, Long, J, Ou Shu, X Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor delta (PPARD) genetic variation and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Chinese women. Ann Hum Genet, 75(5), 621-9, 2011.
- Edwards, TL, Turner, SD, Torstenson, ES, Dudek, SM, Martin, ER, Ritchie, MD A general framework for formal tests of interaction after exhaustive search methods with applications to MDR and MDR-PDT. PLoS One, 5(2), e9363, 2010.
- Bademci, G, Edwards, TL, Torres, AL, Scott, WK, ZÃ¼chner, S, Martin, ER, Vance, JM, Wang, L A rare novel deletion of the tyrosine hydroxylase gene in Parkinson disease. Hum Mutat, 31(10), E1767-71, 2010.
- Hennig, BJ, Velez Edwards, DR, Schim van der Loeff, MF, Bisseye, C, Edwards, TL, Tacconelli, A, Novelli, G, Aaby, P, Kaye, S, Scott, WK, Jaye, A, Whittle, HC, Williams, SM, Hill, AV, Sirugo, G CD4 Intragenic SNPs Associate With HIV-2 Plasma Viral Load and CD4 Count in a Community-Based Study From Guinea-Bissau, West Africa. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 2010.
- Edwards, TL, Scott, WK, Almonte, C, Burt, A, Powell, EH, Beecham, GW, Wang, L, ZÃ¼chner, S, Konidari, I, Wang, G, Singer, C, Nahab, F, Scott, B, Stajich, JM, Pericak-Vance, M, Haines, J, Vance, JM, Martin, ER Genome-Wide Association Study Confirms SNPs in SNCA and the MAPT Region as Common Risk Factors for Parkinson Disease. Ann Hum Genet, 2010.
- Gao X, Edwards TL "Population Stratification, Adjustment for." Encyclopedia of Life Sciences, 2010.
- Edwards, TL, Torstensen, E, Dudek, S, Martin, ER, Ritchie, MD A cross-validation procedure for general pedigrees and matched odds ratio fitness metric implemented for the multifactor dimensionality reduction pedigree disequilibrium test. Genet Epidemiol, 34(2), 194-199, 2009.
- Edwards, TL, Pericak-Vance, M, Gilbert, JR, Haines, JL, Martin, ER, Ritchie, MD An association analysis of Alzheimer disease candidate genes detects an ancestral risk haplotype clade in ACE and putative multilocus association between ACE, A2M, and LRRTM3. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet, 150B(5), 721-35, 2009.
- Chen, X, Sun, C, Chen, Q, O''Neill, FA, Walsh, D, Fanous, AH, Chowdari, KV, Nimgaonkar, VL, Scott, A, Schwab, SG, Wildenauer, DB, Che, R, Tang, W, Shi, Y, He, L, Luo, XJ, Su, B, Edwards, TL, Zhao, Z, Kendler, KS Apoptotic engulfment pathway and schizophrenia. PLoS One, 4(9), e6875, 2009.
- Edwards, TL, Lewis, K, Velez, DR, Dudek, S, Ritchie, MD Exploring the performance of Multifactor Dimensionality Reduction in large scale SNP studies and in the presence of genetic heterogeneity among epistatic disease models. Hum Hered, 67(3), 183-92, 2009.
- Bush, WS, Edwards, TL, Dudek, SM, McKinney, BA, Ritchie, MD Alternative contingency table measures improve the power and detection of multifactor dimensionality reduction. BMC Bioinformatics, 9238, 2008.
- Edwards, TL, Bush, WS, Turner, SD, Dudek, SM, Torstenson, ES, Schmidt, M, Martin, E, Ritchie, MD Generating Linkage Disequilibrium Patterns in Data Simulations using genomeSIMLA. Lect Notes Comput Sci, 4973(2008), 24-35, 2008.
- Edwards, TL, Wang, X, Chen, Q, Wormly, B, Riley, B, O''Neill, FA, Walsh, D, Ritchie, MD, Kendler, KS, Chen, X Interaction between interleukin 3 and dystrobrevin-binding protein 1 in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res, 106(2-3), 208-17, 2008.
- Velez, DR, Fortunato, SJ, Morgan, N, Edwards, TL, Lombardi, SJ, Williams, SM, Menon, R Patterns of cytokine profiles differ with pregnancy outcome and ethnicity. Hum Reprod, 23(8), 1902-9, 2008.
- Bartlett, CW, Vieland, VJ, Bartlett, J, Bell, JT, Bhattacharjee, S, Clerget-Darpoux, F, Bush, WS, Edwards, TL, Gao, G, Halder, I, Huang, Y, Kotti, S, Larkin, EK, Li, H, Motsinger, AA, Mukhopadhyay, N, Namkung, J, Park, T, Ritchie, MD, Stein, CM, Zhou, JY Discussing gene-gene interaction: warning--translating equations to English may result in jabberwocky. Genet Epidemiol, 31 Suppl 1S61-7, 2007.
- Ritchie, MD, Bartlett, J, Bush, WS, Edwards, TL, Motsinger, AA, Torstenson, ES Exploring epistasis in candidate genes for rheumatoid arthritis. BMC Proc, 1 Suppl 1S70, 2007.
- Ritchie, MD, Edwards, TL, Fanelli, TJ, Motsinger, AA Genetic heterogeneity is not as threatening as you might think. Genet Epidemiol, 31(7), 797-800, 2007.
- Solus, JF, Arietta, BJ, Harris, JR, Sexton, DP, Steward, JQ, McMunn, C, Ihrie, P, Mehall, JM, Edwards, TL, Dawson, EP Genetic variation in eleven phase I drug metabolism genes in an ethnically diverse population. Pharmacogenomics, 5(7), 895-931, 2004.