Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Supporting Tool Suite for Production Proteomics
Backup Utility Service (BUS)
The Backup Utility Service (BUS) tool automates file backup from instruments to sets of file servers. It operates as a configurable, scheduled Windows service, seeking file system changes and copying updated files on a regular basis. A graphical user interface facilitates the configuration process. The BUS is a Windows application written in C# and should be installed in each computer that controls a mass spectrometer. It can be used in either a standalone desktop or web service-coordinated capacity. In the latter case, the metadata of archived files are stored in an Oracle database.
· Client—Windows 2000 or higher PC
· Web Service—Any Windows 2000 or higher PC or server; IIS 5 or greater; .Net 2.0; Oracle 10g or higher, or free Oracle Express Edition
1. Setup an Oracle database using the script named "Oracle_Create_Database.sql" in the install directory.
Web Service Deploy:
1. Install the web service on a computer with IIS and .NET 2.0. Provide the Oracle database connection information for the BUS database during install.
2. Edit the log file path in the web.config file.
3. Set the appropriate authentication parameters on the IIS virtual directory corresponding to the installed web service.
1. Run the setup in the Client directory.
2. Provide the url of the web service .asmx file during installation (database option only) or leave the web service url blank to install and run the client without database support.
3. If you are running the service as another user, that user must have file and folder write access to the BUS installation directory.
Full installation details and a user manual can be obtained in the BackupUtilityDocs
directory in the distribution package or here, including
· Step-by-step installation screen shots for the client and web service
· BUS configuration and usage
· BUS database setup