What Questions Should I Ask As I Choose a Treatment Facility?
The following is a list of questions you may want to ask about any hospital or cancer center that you are considering for your care:
- How many cancer patients does this center treat?
- Does this center specialize in my type of cancer?
- Does this center have teams of specialists in specific types of cancer who meet regularly to discuss cases (called tumor boards or conferences)?
- If so, how specialized are these teams? What types of specialists are involved in these meetings?
- What support services does this center provide?
- How will this center support my quality of life during and after treatment?
- Is the center designated by the National Cancer Institute?
- Is the center approved by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer?
- Is the center accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations?
- Is this center part of a Magnet hospital recognized for quality nursing care?
- What new or innovative technologies or procedures does this center offer?
- Is this center covered by my health plan?