Adetola Kassim, M.D., M.S.
Associate Professor of Medicine (Hematology/Oncology)
Clinical Director, Sickle Cell Anemia Program
Patient Contact Information:
1301 Medical Center Drive
3903 The Vanderbilt Clinic
Nashville, TN 37232-5505
Healthcare Provider Contact Information:
Division of Hematology/Oncology
3927 The Vanderbilt Clinic
Dr. Kassim specializes in hematology and hematological malignancies, stem cell transplantation. His clinical research efforts focus on the care of patients undergoing stem cell or bone marrow transplantation by developing new clinical protocols. One such effort is studying hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) - an established therapeutic intervention in caring for patients with hematologic malignancies such as leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and Hodgkin's Disease. New medical research is demonstrating that the donor's white blood cells play a critical role in destroying cancer cells that remain after transplant and chemoradiation. This phenomenon is called the graft-versus-tumor effect (GVT). In order to improve patient outcome with HSCT, Dr. Kassim is studying the presence and changes of cells (T regulatory cells) throughout the transplant process with the goal of improving treatment strategies. He specializes in hematologic malignancies (lymphoma, leukemia, multiple myeloma), stem cell transplantation and non-malignant blood disorders.
In the area of non-malignant hematology, he is involved in the development of a sickle cell disease (SCD) program in conjunction with the Department of Pediatrics at VUMC and Meharry Medical Center. Research in the area of SCD involves the study of epigenetic determinants of disease expression, development of new treatment paradigms and improving the use of HSCT as a therapeutic modality.
stem cell transplant, hematologic malignancies, non-malignant blood disorders, sickle cell
Incidence of pulmonary hypertension in adult sickle cell patients. A prospective case-controlled study.
- Kassim, A., Sane, P., Billett, H "Tower skill or marrow expansion with pituitary hemosiderosis in beta thalassemia intermedia." Journal of Radiology , Submitted.
- Kassim AA, Fabry ME, Nagel RL "Acute priapism associated with the use of sildenafil in a patient with sickle cell trait. (Letter)." Blood, 1;95(5), 1878-9, 2000.
- Kassim AA, Umans H, Nagel RL, Fabry ME "Megalophallus as a sequela of priapism in sickle cell anemia: use of blood oxygen level-dependent magnetic resonance imaging." Urology, 1;56(3), 509, 2000.
- Fabry, M.E., Liu, G., Kassim, A., Billet, H., Nagel, R.L "Deoxy HbS detection in brain of sickle cell disease patients by blood level oxygen dependent magnetic resonance imaging (BOLD-MRI). (Abstract)." Blood, (94), 421a, 1999.
- Fabry, M.E., Kassim, A., Umans, H., Nagel, R.L "Clinical applications of BOLD-MRI to extremities in sickle cell pain episodes. (Abstract)." Blood, (9, 92), 525a, 1998.