Daniel (Dan) C. Liebler, Ph.D.
Director, Center in Molecular Toxicology
Director, Jim Ayers Institute for Precancer Detection and Diagnosis
Ingram Professor of Cancer Research
Professor of Biochemistry, Pharmacology, and Biomedical Informatics
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
465 21st Avenue South, U1213 MRB III
Nashville , TN 37232-6350
Proteomic biomarkers for cancer detection and diagnosis; analysis and mechanisms of cell injury by reactive electrophiles
Dr. Liebler’s research program addresses two broad problems that are linked by the application of analytical proteomics technologies, particularly mass spectrometry. The first problem is the development of protein biomarkers as diagnostics for early cancer detection and for guiding therapy of established disease. Application of standardized mass spectrometry-based proteomics technology platforms enables discovery and analytical validation of candidate biomarkers in human clinical specimens. Current work is directed at development of plasma-based diagnostics for early detection of colon and lung cancer and tumor tissue-based diagnostics for identifying high-risk cancers and predicting response to therapy.
The second problem is the role protein damage by reactive electrophiles in chemical toxicity and disease processes. This work involves development of methods to analyze modified and damaged proteins and to assess the impact of protein damage by reactive chemicals. Major areas of current focus are the characterization of global protein modification by endogenous lipid electrophiles in oxidative stress and the identification of signaling sensors targeted by electrophiles and the mechanisms by which chemical modification of these sensor proteins initiate stress responses.
- Codreanu, SG, Kim, HY, Porter, NA, Liebler, DC Biotinylated probes for the analysis of protein modification by electrophiles. Methods Mol Biol, 80377-95, 2012.
- Zimmerman, LJ, Li, M, Yarbrough, WG, Slebos, R, Liebler, DC Global stability of plasma proteomes for mass spectrometry-based analyses. Mol Cell Proteomics, 2012.
- Le, A, Lane, AN, Hamaker, M, Bose, S, Gouw, A, Barbi, J, Tsukamoto, T, Rojas, CJ, Slusher, BS, Zhang, H, Zimmerman, LJ, Liebler, DC, Slebos, RJ, Lorkiewicz, PK, Higashi, RM, Fan, TW, Dang, CV Glucose-independent glutamine metabolism via TCA cycling for proliferation and survival in B cells. Cell Metab, 15(1), 110-21, 2012.
- Myers, MV, Manning, HC, Coffey, RJ, Liebler, DC Protein Expression Signatures for Inhibition of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor-mediated Signaling. Mol Cell Proteomics, 11(2), M111.015222, 2012.
- Wang, X, Slebos, RJ, Wang, D, Halvey, PJ, Tabb, DL, Liebler, DC, Zhang, B Protein Identification Using Customized Protein Sequence Databases Derived from RNA-Seq Data. J Proteome Res, 11(2), 1009-17, 2012.
- Halvey, PJ, Zhang, B, Coffey, RJ, Liebler, DC, Slebos, RJ Proteomic consequences of a single gene mutation in a colorectal cancer model. J Proteome Res, 11(2), 1184-95, 2012.
- Li, J, Su, Z, Ma, ZQ, Slebos, RJ, Halvey, P, Tabb, DL, Liebler, DC, Pao, W, Zhang, B A bioinformatics workflow for variant peptide detection in shotgun proteomics. Mol Cell Proteomics, 10(5), M110.006536, 2011.
- Johnson, W, Bergfeld, WF, Belsito, DV, Hill, RA, Klaassen, CD, Liebler, DC, Marks, JG, Shank, RC, Slaga, TJ, Snyder, PW, Andersen, FA Amended safety assessment of Sesamum indicum (sesame) seed oil, hydrogenated sesame seed oil, Sesamum indicum (sesame) oil unsaponifiables, and sodium sesameseedate. Int J Toxicol, 30(3 Suppl), 40S-53S, 2011.
- Schepeler, T, Holm, A, Halvey, P, Nordentoft, I, Lamy, P, Riising, EM, Christensen, LL, Thorsen, K, Liebler, DC, Helin, K, Orntoft, TF, Andersen, CL Attenuation of the beta-catenin/TCF4 complex in colorectal cancer cells induces several growth-suppressive microRNAs that target cancer promoting genes. Oncogene, 2011.
- Bose, D, Zimmerman, LJ, Pierobon, M, Petricoin, E, Tozzi, F, Parikh, A, Fan, F, Dallas, N, Xia, L, Gaur, P, Samuel, S, Liebler, DC, Ellis, LM Chemoresistant colorectal cancer cells and cancer stem cells mediate growth and survival of bystander cells. Br J Cancer, 105(11), 1759-67, 2011.
- Burnett, CL, Bergfeld, WF, Belsito, DV, Hill, RA, Klaassen, CD, Liebler, DC, Marks, JG, Shank, RC, Slaga, TJ, Snyder, PW, Andersen, FA Final report of the Amended Safety Assessment of PVM/MA copolymer and its related salts and esters as used in cosmetics. Int J Toxicol, 30(5 Suppl), 128S-44S, 2011.
- Becker, LC, Bergfeld, WF, Belsito, DV, Hill, RA, Klaassen, CD, Liebler, DC, Marks, JG, Shank, RC, Slaga, TJ, Snyder, PW, Andersen, FA Final report of the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel safety assessment of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA), methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, and methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer. Int J Toxicol, 30(3 Suppl), 54S-65S, 2011.
- Michaelson-Richie, ED, Ming, X, Codreanu, SG, Loeber, RL, Liebler, DC, Campbell, C, Tretyakova, NY Mechlorethamine-induced DNA-protein cross-linking in human fibrosarcoma (HT1080) cells. J Proteome Res, 10(6), 2785-96, 2011.
- Zhang, H, Liu, Q, Zimmerman, LJ, Ham, AJ, Slebos, RJ, Rahman, J, Kikuchi, T, Massion, PP, Carbone, DP, Billheimer, D, Liebler, DC Methods for peptide and protein quantitation by liquid chromatography-multiple reaction monitoring mass spectrometry. Mol Cell Proteomics, 10(6), M110.006593, 2011.
- Hoofnagle, AN, Aebersold, R, Anderson, NL, Felsenfeld, A, Liebler, DC Painting a moving picture: large-scale proteomics efforts and their potential for changing patient care. Clin Chem, 57(10), 1357-60, 2011.
- Rexer, BN, Ham, AJ, Rinehart, C, Hill, S, Granja-Ingram, Nde M, GonzÃ¡lez-Angulo, AM, Mills, GB, Dave, B, Chang, JC, Liebler, DC, Arteaga, CL Phosphoproteomic mass spectrometry profiling links Src family kinases to escape from HER2 tyrosine kinase inhibition. Oncogene, 30(40), 4163-74, 2011.
- Connor, RE, Marnett, LJ, Liebler, DC Protein-selective capture to analyze electrophile adduction of hsp90 by 4-hydroxynonenal. Chem Res Toxicol, 24(8), 1275-82, 2011.
- Zhang, B, Shi, Z, Duncan, DT, Prodduturi, N, Marnett, LJ, Liebler, DC Relating protein adduction to gene expression changes: a systems approach. Mol Biosyst, 7(7), 2118-27, 2011.
- Johnson, W, Bergfeld, WF, Belsito, DV, Hill, RA, Klaassen, CD, Liebler, DC, Marks, JG, Shank, RC, Slaga, TJ, Snyder, PW, Andersen, FA Safety assessment of cyclomethicone, cyclotetrasiloxane, cyclopentasiloxane, cyclohexasiloxane, and cycloheptasiloxane. Int J Toxicol, 30(6 Suppl), 149S-227S, 2011.
- Ma, ZQ, Tabb, DL, Burden, J, Chambers, MC, Cox, MB, Cantrell, MJ, Ham, AJ, Litton, MD, Oreto, MR, Schultz, WC, Sobecki, SM, Tsui, TY, Wernke, GR, Liebler, DC Supporting tool suite for production proteomics. Bioinformatics, 27(22), 3214-5, 2011.