Gautam Chaudhuri, Ph.D.
Meharry Medical College
1005 Dr. D.B. Todd, Jr. Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37208
Gene expression regulations in breast cancer cells and professional mononuclear phagocytes
Dr. Chaudhuri's research interests include (a) the understanding the genetic and epigenetic regulations of BRCA2 gene expression with respect to the proliferation and metastasis of human breast cancer cells; (b) Evaluation of the roles of SNAI proteins in the regulation of calcitriol biosynthesis and function in human breast cancer cells; (c) Evaluation of the role of adiponectin gene expression in tumor-associated adipocytes by the SNAI proteins; (d) evaluation of the role of non-coding RNA biosynthesis in determining the immune functions of mononuclear phagocytes including monocytes, M1 and M2 macrophages, neutrophils and dendritic cells; and, (e) identification and validation of targets of nucleic acid- and peptide-based drugs against breast cancer and parasitic infections.
Current focus of his lab is on the following specific research topics:
(i) Protease activated receptor 1, mu-calpain and TFIIIC110-mediated modulation of macrophage immune functions by proteases such as MMP1 secreted by breast cancer cells, thrombin, and the surface protease gp63 of the parasitic protozoan Leishmania through the inhibition of the RNA polymerase III promoters that contain B-box element.
(ii) SNAI protein mediated repression of vitamin D metabolism and function in breast cancer cells and development of combinatorial drug regimen that include ds-DNA molecular decoy, siRNA, peptide aptamers and vitamin D3 to combat breast cancer progression and metastasis.
(iii) Biology of a novel transcriptional repressor protein ZAR2 which is transcribed from the reverse activity of the BRCA2 gene bidriectional promoter.
(iv) Redox regulation of BRCA2 gene expression through SNAI2 and peroxiredoxin 5 in human breast cancer cells.
- Kaneko, H, Dridi, S, Tarallo, V, Gelfand, BD, Fowler, BJ, Cho, WG, Kleinman, ME, Ponicsan, SL, Hauswirth, WW, Chiodo, VA, KarikÃ³, K, Yoo, JW, Lee, DK, Hadziahmetovic, M, Song, Y, Misra, S, Chaudhuri, G, Buaas, FW, Braun, RE, Hinton, DR, Zhang, Q, Grossniklaus, HE, Provis, JM, Madigan, MC, Milam, AH, Justice, NL, Albuquerque, RJ, Blandford, AD, Bogdanovich, S, Hirano, Y, Witta, J, Fuchs, E, Littman, DR, Ambati, BK, Rudin, CM, Chong, MM, Provost, P, Kugel, JF, Goodrich, JA, Dunaief, JL, Baffi, JZ, Ambati, J DICER1 deficit induces Alu RNA toxicity in age-related macular degeneration. Nature, 2011.
- Hall, M, Misra, S, Chaudhuri, M, Chaudhuri, G Peptide aptamer mimicking RAD51-binding domain of BRCA2 inhibits DNA damage repair and survival in Trypanosoma brucei. Microb Pathog, 2011.
- Mittal, MK, Singh, K, Misra, S, Chaudhuri, G SLUG-induced elevation of D1 cyclin in breast cancer cells through the inhibition of its ubiquitination. J Biol Chem, 286(1), 469-79, 2011.
- Misra, S, Sharma, S, Agarwal, A, Khedkar, SV, Tripathi, MK, Mittal, MK, Chaudhuri, G Cell cycle-dependent regulation of the bi-directional overlapping promoter of human BRCA2/ZAR2 genes in breast cancer cells. Mol Cancer, 950, 2010.
- Ochieng, J, Chaudhuri, G Cystatin superfamily. J Health Care Poor Underserved, 21(1 Suppl), 51-70, 2010.
- Farrow, AL, Rana, T, Mittal, MK, Misra, S, Chaudhuri, G Leishmania-induced repression of selected non-coding RNA genes containing B-box element at their promoters in alternatively polarized M2 macrophages. Mol Cell Biochem, 2010.
- Rana, T, Misra, S, Mittal, MK, Farrow, AL, Wilson, KT, Linton, MF, Fazio, S, Willis, IM, Chaudhuri, G Mechanism of downregulation of RNA polymerase III-transcribed NcRNA genes in macrophages by Leishmania. J Biol Chem, 2010.
- Mittal, MK, Myers, JN, Bailey, CK, Misra, S, Chaudhuri, G Mode of action of the retrogene product SNAI1P, a SNAIL homolog, in human breast cancer cells. Mol Biol Rep, 37(3), 1221-7, 2010.
- Mittal, MK, Myers, JN, Misra, S, Bailey, CK, Chaudhuri, G In vivo binding to and functional repression of the VDR gene promoter by SLUG in human breast cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 372(1), 30-4, 2008.
- Porter-Kelley, J, Seay, M, Singh, PK, Chaudhuri, G Bio-available Zn2+ in the growth medium as a cue for Leishmania to express its protective surface protease. Ann Trop Med Parasitol, 101(1), 89-93, 2007.
- Bailey, CK, Misra, S, Mittal, MK, Chaudhuri, G Human SLUG does not directly bind to CtBP1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 353(3), 661-4, 2007.
- Misra, S, Bennett, J, Friew, YN, Abdulghani, J, Irvin-Wilson, CV, Tripathi, MK, Williams, S, Chaudhuri, M, Chaudhuri, G A type II ribonuclease H from Leishmania mitochondria: an enzyme essential for the growth of the parasite. Mol Biochem Parasitol, 143(2), 135-45, 2005.
- Irvin-Wilson, CV, Chaudhuri, G Alternative initiation and splicing in dicer gene expression in human breast cells. Breast Cancer Res, 7(4), R563-9, 2005.
- Misra, S, Tripathi, MK, Chaudhuri, G Down-regulation of 7SL RNA expression and impairment of vesicular protein transport pathways by Leishmania infection of macrophages. J Biol Chem, 280(32), 29364-73, 2005.
- Tripathi, MK, Chaudhuri, G Down-regulation of UCRP and UBE2L6 in BRCA2 knocked-down human breast cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 328(1), 43-8, 2005.
- Misra, S, Hall, M, Chaudhuri, G Molecular characterization of a human BRCA2 homolog in Leishmania donovani. J Parasitol, 91(6), 1492-5, 2005.
- Tripathi, MK, Misra, S, Chaudhuri, G Negative regulation of the expressions of cytokeratins 8 and 19 by SLUG repressor protein in human breast cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 329(2), 508-15, 2005.
- Tripathi, MK, Misra, S, Khedkar, SV, Hamilton, N, Irvin-Wilson, C, Sharan, C, Sealy, L, Chaudhuri, G Regulation of BRCA2 gene expression by the SLUG repressor protein in human breast cells. J Biol Chem, 280(17), 17163-71, 2005.
- Reid, EA, Cao, Z, Wang, Y, Leite Browning, ML, Newkirk, RF, Chaudhuri, G, Townsel, JG Molecular cloning and identification of a putative PKC epsilon cDNA from Limulus polyphemus brain. Life Sci, 72(8), 961-76, 2003.
- Mishra, M, Porter-Kelley, JM, Singh, PK, Bennett, JR, Chaudhuri, G Enhanced activity of antisense phosphorothioate oligos against leishmania amastigotes: augmented uptake of oligo, ribonuclease H activation, and efficient target intervention under altered growth conditions. Biochem Pharmacol, 62(5), 569-80, 2001.
- Mishra M, Bennett JR, Chaudhuri G Increased efficacy of antileishmanial antisense phosphorothioate oligonucleotides in Leishmania amazonensis overexpressing ribonuclease H. Biochem Pharmacol , 61(4)467-476, 2001.
- Ueda Y, Chaudhuri G Differential expression of B1-containing transcripts in Leishmania-exposed macrophages. J Biol Chem, 275(25)19428-32, 2000.
- Onaivi ES, Chaudhuri G, Abaci AS, Parker M, Manier DH, Martin PR, Hubbard JR Expression of cannabinoid receptors and their gene transcripts in human blood cells. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry , 23(6)1063-1077, 1999.
- Sharan C, Hamilton NM, Parl AK, Singh PK, Chaudhuri G Identification and characterization of a transcriptional silencer upstream of human BRCA2 gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 265285-290, 1999.
- Chaudhuri, G Scavenger receptor-mediated delivery of antisense mini-exon phosphorothioate oligonucleotide to Leishmania-infected macrophages. Selective and efficient elimination of the parasite. Biochem Pharmacol, 53(3), 385-91, 1997.
- Parl, A.K., Lewis, Clarence S., and Chaudhuri,G "Amplification of kinetoplast minicircle DNA in zinc-resistant Leishmania." Med. Sci. Res., 24515-517, 1996.
- Lewis, Clarence S., Heard, P.L. and Chaudhuri,G "Differential expression of novel mRNAs in heat- shocked Leishmania cells." Med. Sci. Res., 24511-513, 1996.
- Heard PL, Lewis CS, Chaudhuri G Leishmania mexicana amazonesis: Differential display analysis and cloning of mRNAs from attenuated and infective forms. J Eukaryot Microbiol , 43(5)409-415, 1996.
- Chakraborti, A., Onaivi, E.S., Gwebu, E.T., and Chaudhuri,G "Neurobehavioral specificity of cannabinoid receptor gene expression in mice." Behavioral Brain Res., 72115-125, 1996.
- Seay, MB, Heard, PL, Chaudhuri, G Surface Zn-proteinase as a molecule for defense of Leishmania mexicana amazonensis promastigotes against cytolysis inside macrophage phagolysosomes. Infect Immun, 64(12), 5129-37, 1996.
- Barnwell, L.F.S., Chaudhuri,G., and Townsel, J.G Cloning and sequencing of a cDNA encoding a novel member of the human brain GABA/noradrenaline neurotransmitter transporter family. Gene , 159(2)287-288, 1995.
- Chakraborti, A., Onaivi, E.S., and Chaudhuri, G Cloning and sequencing of a cDNA encoding the mouse brain-type cannabinoid receptor protein. DNA Sequence. DNA Seq , 5(6)385-388, 1995.
- Villalta, F., Ferraz, J.C., Smith, C., Burns, J.M., Chaudhuri,G., Ruiz-Ruano, A., and Lima, M.F "A trans-sialidase gp83 of highly invasive trypamastigote clones of Trypanosoma cruzi binds to mammalian cells and appears to mediate in vitro and in vivo infection." Mem. Inst. Oswaldo Cruz, 8927-29, 1994.
- Chang, K.P., Chaudhuri,G., and Fong, D "Molecular Determinants of Leishmania Virulence." Annu. Rev. Microbiol , 44499-529, 1990.
- Chaudhuri,G., Chaudhuri, M., Pan, A., and Chang, K.-P "Surface acid proteinase (gp63) of Leishmania mexicana: A metallo-enzyme capable of protecting liposome-encapsulated proteins from phagolysosomal degradation by macrophages." J. Biol. Chem., 2647483-7489, 1989.
- Ghoshal, K., Chaudhuri,G., and Banerjee, A.B "Effect of heat-shock and nutritional stress on the expression of a cytosolic neutral thiol protease of Leishmania donovani promastigotes." Ind. J. Med. Res., 89170-176, 1989.
- Mukhopadhyay, A., Chaudhuri,G., Arora, S.K., Sehgal, S., and Basu, S.K "Receptor-mediated drug delivery to macrophages in chemotherapy of leishmaniasis." Science, 244705-707, 1989.
- Chaudhuri,G., Mukhopadhyay, A., and Basu, S.K "Selective delivery of drugs to macrophages through acetyl low-density lipoprotein receptor: An efficient chemotherapeutic approach against leishmaniasis." Biochem. Pharmacol., 2995-300238, 1989.
- Chaudhuri,G., and Chang, K.-P "A simple method for isolation of extrachromosomal circular DNA in unicellular eukaryotes." Nucleic Acid Res., 162341, 1988.
- Chaudhuri,G., and Chang, K.-P "Acid protease activity of a major surface membrane glycoprotein (gp63) from Leishmania mexicana promastigotes." Mol. Biochem. Parasitol, 2743-52, 1988.
- Detke, S., Chaudhuri,G., Kink, J.A., and Chang, K.-P "DNA amplification in tunicamycin resistant leishmania mexicana: Multicopies of a single 63 kilobase supercoiled molecule and their expression." J. Biol. Chem., 2633418-3424, 1988.