Jialiang Wang, Ph.D.
Director, Neurosurgical Oncology Laboratory
Assistant Professor of Cancer Biology
Nashville, TN 37232-2380
We focus on developing novel and personalized treatment for glioma and other brain cancers.
The overarching goal of my laboratory is to develop innovative and transformative therapeutic strategies for treating glioblastoma and other brain cancers. Glioblastoma is refractory to the standard radiochemotherapy. Emerging molecular targeted therapies have yet to show significant efficacy, partially due to the highly heterogeneous molecular profiles of this disease.
Current research focuses include:
1. Notch signaling in glioblastoma stem cells and radiation resistance,
2. Targeting BET bromodomain readers in glioblastoma,
3. Novel drug combinations,
4. Predictive biomarkers to personalize novel treatments developed in our laboratory.
- Cheng, Z, Gong, Y, Ma, Y, Lu, K, Lu, X, Pierce, LA, Thompson, RC, Muller, S, Knapp, S, Wang, J Inhibition of BET bromodomain targets genetically diverse glioblastoma. Clin Cancer Res, 19(7), 1748-59, 2013.
- Wang, J, Sullenger, BA, Rich, JN Notch signaling in cancer stem cells. Adv Exp Med Biol, 727174-85, 2012.
- Lathia, JD, Gallagher, J, Heddleston, JM, Wang, J, Eyler, CE, Macswords, J, Wu, Q, Vasanji, A, McLendon, RE, Hjelmeland, AB, Rich, JN Integrin alpha 6 regulates glioblastoma stem cells. Cell Stem Cell, 6(5), 421-32, 2010.
- Wang, J, Wakeman, TP, Lathia, JD, Hjelmeland, AB, Wang, XF, White, RR, Rich, JN, Sullenger, BA Notch promotes radioresistance of glioma stem cells. Stem Cells, 28(1), 17-28, 2010.
- Wang, H, Lathia, JD, Wu, Q, Wang, J, Li, Z, Heddleston, JM, Eyler, CE, Elderbroom, J, Gallagher, J, Schuschu, J, MacSwords, J, Cao, Y, McLendon, RE, Wang, XF, Hjelmeland, AB, Rich, JN Targeting interleukin 6 signaling suppresses glioma stem cell survival and tumor growth. Stem Cells, 27(10), 2393-404, 2009.
- Wang, J, Wang, H, Li, Z, Wu, Q, Lathia, JD, McLendon, RE, Hjelmeland, AB, Rich, JN c-Myc is required for maintenance of glioma cancer stem cells. PLoS One, 3(11), e3769, 2008.
- Wang, J, An, H, Mayo, MW, Baldwin, AS, Yarbrough, WG LZAP, a putative tumor suppressor, selectively inhibits NF-kappaB. Cancer Cell, 12(3), 239-51, 2007.
- Wang, J, He, X, Luo, Y, Yarbrough, WG A novel ARF-binding protein (LZAP) alters ARF regulation of HDM2. Biochem J, 393(Pt 2), 489-501, 2006.