John P. Greer, M.D.
Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics
Clinical Director, Hematology and Stem Cell Transplantation
Patient Contact Information:
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
1301 Medical Center Drive, Suite 3903
Nashville, TN 37232-5505
Further Information: 1-877-936-8422
Healthcare Provider Contact Information:
1301 Medical Center Drive, Suite 3927 TVC
Nashville, TN 37232-5505
Dr. Greer is a hematologist/oncologist who specializes in hematological malignancies and stem cell transplantation. His research interests are in the clinicopathologic description of hematologic neoplasms and in the development of therapeutic strategies to treat these disorders.
He has an expertise in T cell lymphomas and has a joint cutaneous lymphoma clinic with Dr. John Zic in dermatology. Dr. Greer's extramural activities include Chief Editor for Wintrobe's Clinical Hematology (12th edition, 2009) and member of the Lymphoma Committee for ECOG.
His research interests are in the clinicopathologic descriptions of hematologic neoplasms and in the development of therapeutic strategies to treat those disorders. Specific entities he has helped recognize include anaplastic large cell lymphoma, T-cell-rich B-cell lymphoma, and natural killer-like T-cell lymphoma/leukemia.
Lymphoma, Leukemia, Clinical Trials, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Stem Cell Transplantation
My research interests are in the clinicopathologic descriptions of hematologic neoplasms and in the development of therapeutic strategies to treat these disorders. Specific entities we have helped recognize include anaplastic large cell lymphoma, T-cell-rich B-cell lymphoma, and natural killer-like T-cell lymphoma/leukemia. Since the early 1980's, we have evaluated short course, dose intensive therapy (MEGA) for intermediate to high grade lymphomas, the use of high dose cytarabine consolidation in acute nonlymphocytic leukemia, and the role of transplantation in hematologic neoplasms. We actively participate in phase I-III trials through cooperative groups (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group and Children's Oncology Group) and with the pharmaceutical industry. We have an emphasis in studies evaluating novel agents directed at molecular pathways, immunotherapy, and transplantation.
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: anaplastic large cell, peripheral T-cell, cutaneous lymphomas, T-cell-rich B-cell, natural killer-like T-cell lymphoma.
Acute and chronic leukemias.
Bone marrow failure syndromes: myelodysplasia and aplastic anemia.
Stem cell transplantation.
Dose intensive therapy for hematologic malignancies.
Cooperative group trials (ECOG, CCG)
- Engelhardt, BG, Holland, DW, Brandt, SJ, Chinratanalab, W, Goodman, SA, Greer, JP, Jagasia, MH, Kassim, AA, Morgan, DS, Ruffner, KL, Schuening, FG, Wolff, S, Bitting, R, Sulur, P, Stein, RS High-dose chemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation for relapsed or refractory Hodgkin lymphoma: prognostic features and outcomes. Leuk Lymphoma, 48(9), 1728-35, 2007.
- Sepmeyer, JA, Greer, JP, Koyama, T, Zic, JA Open-label pilot study of combination therapy with rosiglitazone and bexarotene in the treatment of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. J Am Acad Dermatol, 56(4), 584-7, 2007.
- Schmidt, AN, Robbins, JB, Greer, JP, Zic, JA Conjugal transformed mycosis fungoides: the unknown role of viral infection and environmental exposures in the development of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. J Am Acad Dermatol, 54(5 Suppl), S202-5, 2006.
- Salmon, JS, Thompson, MA, Arildsen, RC, Greer, JP Non-Hodgkin''s lymphoma involving the liver: clinical and therapeutic considerations. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma, 6(4), 273-80, 2006.
- Greer, JP Therapy of peripheral T/NK neoplasms. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program, 331-7, 2006.
- Jagasia, MH, Greer, JP, Morgan, DS, Mineishi, S, Kassim, AA, Ruffner, KL, Chen, H, Schuening, FG Pegfilgrastim after high-dose chemotherapy and autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplant: phase II study. Bone Marrow Transplant, 35(12), 1165-9, 2005.
- Delbeke D, Martin WH, Morgan DS, Kinney JC, Feurer I, Kovalsky E, Arrowsmith T, Greer JP "18F-Flourodeoxyglucose imaging with positron emission tomography for initial staging of Hodgkins disease and lymphoma." Clin Positron Imaging, (3), 10-10, 2001.
- Dorr R, Karanes C, Spier C, Grogan T, Greer J, Moore J, Weinberger B, Schiller G, Pearce T, Litchman M, Dalton W, Roe D, List AF "Phase I/II study of the P-glycoprotein modulator PSC 833 in patients with acute myeloid leukemia." J Clin Oncol, (19), 1589-1599, 2001.
- Stein, RS, Greer, JP, Goodman, S, Brandt, SJ, Morgan, DS, Macon, WR, McCurley, TL, Wolff, SN Intensified preparative regimens and autologous transplantation in refractory or relapsed intermediate grade non-Hodgkin''s lymphoma. Bone Marrow Transplant, 25(3), 257-62, 2000.
- Pavletic, ZS, Arrowsmith, ER, Bierman, PJ, Goodman, SA, Vose, JM, Tarantolo, SR, Stein, RS, Bociek, G, Greer, JP, Wu, CD, Kollath, JP, Weisenburger, DD, Kessinger, A, Wolff, SN, Armitage, JO, Bishop, MR Outcome of allogeneic stem cell transplantation for B cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Bone Marrow Transplant, 25(7), 717-22, 2000.
- Stein RS, Greer JP, Goodman S, Kallianpur A, Ahmed MS, Wolff SN "High -dose therapy with autologous or allogeneic transplantation as salvage therapy for small cleaved cell lymphoma of follicular center cell origin.." Bone Marrow Transplant, 23227-233, 1999.
- Kravtsov, VD, Greer, JP, Whitlock, JA, Koury, MJ Use of the microculture kinetic assay of apoptosis to determine chemosensitivities of leukemias. Blood, 92(3), 968-80, 1998.
- Whitlock, JA, Wells, RJ, Hord, JD, Janco, RL, Greer, JP, Gay, JC, Edwards, JR, McCurley, TL, Lukens, JN High-dose cytosine arabinoside and etoposide: an effective regimen without anthracyclines for refractory childhood acute non-lymphocytic leukemia. Leukemia, 11(2), 185-9, 1997.
- Stein, RS, Greer, JP, Flexner, JM, Goodman, S, Wolff, SN Etoposide and mitoxantrone as a second cycle of consolidation therapy following high dose cytosine arabinoside and daunorubicin in patients with acute non-lymphocytic leukemia in remission: a pilot study. Leuk Lymphoma, 23(1-2), 93-8, 1996.
- Macon WR, Williams ME, Greer JP, Hammer RD, Glick AD, Collins RD, Cousar JB "Natrual killer-like T-cell lymphomas: Aggressive CD56+ peripheral T-cell lymphomas of large granular lymphocytes, possibly arising from thymic-independent T-cells.." Blood, 871474-1483, 1996.
- List, AF, Spier, CS, Grogan, TM, Johnson, C, Roe, DJ, Greer, JP, Wolff, SN, Broxterman, HJ, Scheffer, GL, Scheper, RJ, Dalton, WS Overexpression of the major vault transporter protein lung-resistance protein predicts treatment outcome in acute myeloid leukemia. Blood, 87(6), 2464-9, 1996.
- Greer, JP, Macon, WR, Lamar, RE, Wolff, SN, Stein, RS, Flexner, JM, Collins, RD, Cousar, JB T-cell-rich B-cell lymphomas: diagnosis and response to therapy of 44 patients. J Clin Oncol, 13(7), 1742-50, 1995.
- Waits, TM, Greco, FA, Greer, JP, Johnson, DH, Wolff, SN, Stein, RS, McMaster, ML, Hainsworth, JD Effective therapy for poor-prognosis non-Hodgkin''s lymphoma with 8 weeks of high-dose-intensity combination chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 11(5), 943-9, 1993.
- List AF, Spier C, Greer J, Wolff S, Hutter J, Door R, Salmon S, Futscher B, Baer M, Dalton W "Phase I/II trial of cyclosporine as a chemotherapy-resistance modifier in acute leukemia.." J Clinc Oncol, (11), 1652-1660, 1993.
- Greer, JP, Kinney, MC, Collins, RD, Salhany, KE, Wolff, SN, Hainsworth, JD, Flexner, JM, Stein, RS Clinical features of 31 patients with Ki-1 anaplastic large-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol, 9(4), 539-47, 1991.
- Whitlock, JA, Greer, JP, Lukens, JN Epipodophyllotoxin-related leukemia. Identification of a new subset of secondary leukemia. Cancer, 68(3), 600-4, 1991.
- Reece DE, Barnett MJ, Conners JM, Fairey RN, Greer JP, Herzig GP, Herzig RH, Klingerman HC, OReilly SE, Shepherd JD, Spinelli JJ, Voss NJ, Wolff SN, Phillips GP "Intensive chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, carmustine, and etoposide followed by autologous bone marrow transplantation for relapsed Hodgkins disease." J Clinc Oncol, (9), 1871-1879, 1991.
- McMaster, ML, Greer, JP, Wolff, SN, Johnson, DH, Greco, FA, Stein, RS, Cousar, JB, Flexner, JM, Hainsworth, JD Results of treatment with high intensity, brief duration chemotherapy in poor prognosis non-Hodgkin''s lymphoma. Cancer, 68(2), 233-41, 1991.
- Stein, RS, Greer, JP, Flexner, JM, Hainsworth, JD, Collins, RD, Macon, WR, Cousar, JB Large-cell lymphomas: clinical and prognostic features. J Clin Oncol, 8(8), 1370-9, 1990.
- Wolff, SN, Herzig, RH, Fay, JW, Phillips, GL, Lazarus, HM, Flexner, JM, Stein, RS, Greer, JP, Cooper, B, Herzig, GP High-dose cytarabine and daunorubicin as consolidation therapy for acute myeloid leukemia in first remission: long-term follow-up and results. J Clin Oncol, 7(9), 1260-7, 1989.
- Armitage, JO, Greer, JP, Levine, AM, Weisenburger, DD, Formenti, SC, Bast, M, Conley, S, Pierson, J, Linder, J, Cousar, JB Peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Cancer, 63(1), 158-63, 1989.
- Greer, JP, Cousar, JB, Miller, RF, Vogler, LB, Goodin, JC, Graber, SE, Collins, RD T4+ (helper phenotype) chronic lymphocytic leukemia: case report with liver failure and literature review. Med Pediatr Oncol, 16(5), 356-62, 1988.
- McCurley TL, Greer JP, Glick AD "Terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase (TdT) in acute nonlymphocytic leukemia. A clinical, morphologic, cytochemical, immunologic and ultrastructural study." Am J Clin Pathol, (90), 421-430, 1988.
- Wolff SN, Herzig RH, Phillips GL, Lazarus HM, Greer JP, Stein RS, Ray WA, Herzig GP "High-dose cytosine arabinoside and daunorubicin as consolidation therapy for acute nonlymphocytic leukemia in first remission: An up date." Sem Oncol, (2), 12-17, 1987.
- Stein, RS, Magee, MJ, Lenox, RK, Cousar, JB, Collins, RD, Flexner, JM, Ray, W, Greer, JP Malignant lymphomas of follicular center cell origin in man. VI. Large cleaved cell lymphoma. Cancer, 60(11), 2704-11, 1987.
- Greer, JP, Kinney, MC, Cousar, JB, Flexner, JM, Dupont, WD, Graber, SE, Greco, FA, Collins, RD, Stein, RS Lymphocyte-depleted Hodgkin''s disease. Clinicopathologic review of 25 patients. Am J Med, 81(2), 208-14, 1986.
- Greer, JP, York, JC, Cousar, JB, Mitchell, RT, Flexner, JM, Collins, RD, Stein, RS Peripheral T-cell lymphoma: a clinicopathologic study of 42 cases. J Clin Oncol, 2(7), 788-98, 1984.
- Undergraduate School & Degree: Vanderbilt University B.A.
- Medical School & Degree: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 1976
- Post Graduate Training: Tulane University; Medical College of Virginia; Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Board & Certifications: Internal Medicine; Pediatrics
- ABIM & Subspecialty: Hematology; Medical Oncology