Justin M. Balko, Pharm.D., Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor of Medicine (Hematology/Oncology)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
777 Preston Research Building
Nashville, TN 37232-6307
- Young, CD, Pfefferle, AD, Owens, P, Kuba, MG, Rexer, BN, Balko, JM, S¿¿nchez, V, Cheng, H, Perou, CM, Zhao, JJ, Cook, RS, Arteaga, CL Conditional loss of ErbB3 delays mammary gland hyperplasia induced by mutant PIK3CA without affecting mammary tumor latency, gene expression or signaling. Cancer Res, 2013.
- Bhola, NE, Balko, JM, Dugger, TC, Kuba, MG, S¿¿nchez, V, Sanders, M, Stanford, J, Cook, RS, Arteaga, CL TGF-¿¿ inhibition enhances chemotherapy action against triple-negative breast cancer. J Clin Invest, 123(3), 1348-58, 2013.
- Balko, JM, Mayer, IA, Sanders, ME, Miller, TW, Kuba, MG, Meszoely, IM, Wagle, N, Garraway, LA, Arteaga, CL Discordant cellular response to presurgical letrozole in bilateral synchronous ER+ breast cancers with a KRAS mutation or FGFR1 gene amplification. Mol Cancer Ther, 11(10), 2301-5, 2012.
- Balko, JM, Arteaga, CL Molecular signatures of lung cancer: defining new diagnostic and therapeutic paradigms. Mol Diagn Ther, 16(1), 1-6, 2012.
- Balko, JM, Cook, RS, Vaught, DB, Kuba, MG, Miller, TW, Bhola, NE, Sanders, ME, Granja-Ingram, NM, Smith, JJ, Meszoely, IM, Salter, J, Dowsett, M, Stemke-Hale, K, Gonz¿¿lez-Angulo, AM, Mills, GB, Pinto, JA, G¿¿mez, HL, Arteaga, CL Profiling of residual breast cancers after neoadjuvant chemotherapy identifies DUSP4 deficiency as a mechanism of drug resistance. Nat Med, 18(7), 1052-9, 2012.
- Balko, JM, Miller, TW, Morrison, MM, Hutchinson, K, Young, C, Rinehart, C, S¿¿nchez, V, Jee, D, Polyak, K, Prat, A, Perou, CM, Arteaga, CL, Cook, RS The receptor tyrosine kinase ErbB3 maintains the balance between luminal and basal breast epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 109(1), 221-6, 2012.
- Miller, TW, Balko, JM, Ghazoui, Z, Dunbier, A, Anderson, H, Dowsett, M, Gonz¿¿lez-Angulo, AM, Mills, GB, Miller, WR, Wu, H, Shyr, Y, Arteaga, CL A gene expression signature from human breast cancer cells with acquired hormone independence identifies MYC as a mediator of antiestrogen resistance. Clin Cancer Res, 17(7), 2024-34, 2011.
- Fox, EM, Miller, TW, Balko, JM, Kuba, MG, S¿¿nchez, V, Smith, RA, Liu, S, Gonz¿¿lez-Angulo, AM, Mills, GB, Ye, F, Shyr, Y, Manning, HC, Buck, E, Arteaga, CL A kinome-wide screen identifies the insulin/IGF-I receptor pathway as a mechanism of escape from hormone dependence in breast cancer. Cancer Res, 71(21), 6773-84, 2011.
- Balko, JM, Arteaga, CL Dead-box or black-box: is DDX1 a potential biomarker in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 127(1), 65-7, 2011.
- Balko, JM, Black, EP Do the genes tell us the path of most resistance. Cancer Biol Ther, 11(2), 213-5, 2011.
- Miller, TW, Balko, JM, Fox, EM, Ghazoui, Z, Dunbier, A, Anderson, H, Dowsett, M, Jiang, A, Smith, RA, Maira, SM, Manning, HC, Gonz¿¿lez-Angulo, AM, Mills, GB, Higham, C, Chanthaphaychith, S, Kuba, MG, Miller, WR, Shyr, Y, Arteaga, CL ER¿¿-dependent E2F transcription can mediate resistance to estrogen deprivation in human breast cancer. Cancer Discov, 1(4), 338-51, 2011.
- Miller, TW, Balko, JM, Arteaga, CL Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and antiestrogen resistance in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 29(33), 4452-61, 2011.
- Ghosh, R, Narasanna, A, Wang, SE, Liu, S, Chakrabarty, A, Balko, JM, Gonz¿¿lez-Angulo, AM, Mills, GB, Penuel, E, Winslow, J, Sperinde, J, Dua, R, Pidaparthi, S, Mukherjee, A, Leitzel, K, Kostler, WJ, Lipton, A, Bates, M, Arteaga, CL Trastuzumab has preferential activity against breast cancers driven by HER2 homodimers. Cancer Res, 71(5), 1871-82, 2011.
- Pharm.D., State University of New York at Buffalo
- Ph.D., University of Kentucky, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences