Pampee Young, M.D., Ph.D.
Medical Director and Assistant Professor of Pathology and Medicine
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
1161 21st Ave 37232, C-3321-A MCN
Nashville, TN 37232-2561
The focus of research is on understanding the biology of adult stem cells within the context of two broad biological processes--malignancy and regeneration.
The focus of research is on understanding the biology of adult stem cells within the context of two broad biological processes--malignancy and regeneration. The role of adult stem cells to modulate repair and regeneration is of great interest. Our work focuses on gaining a better understanding of bone marrow derived stem cells using both mouse and human cells. Specifically, we are committed to understanding the characteristics of stem cell progenitors, their differentiation, the mechanism by which stem cells mediate regeneration and also the host/stem cell interactions.
Mesenchymal stem cells hold much promise as tools to mediate repair. We have recently identified that Wnt pathway inhibition regulates MSC biology. We use mouse models of myocardial infarction or pressure overload hypertrophy (as a heart failure model) to study the role of wnt modulation in MSC-mediated repair. Our hope is to understand how to modulate endogenous MSCs after injury to control repair and regeneration.
Bone marrow derived endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) are derived from both committed and uncommitted hematopoietic cells. We have characterized myeloid to endothelial plasticity over the last few years and have focused our attention on the mechanism of this plasticity. We have recently identified TNF as a modulator of endothelial differentiation. Moreover, we have also begun to better understand the role of these myelod/endothelial cells in cancer and regeneration.
Our vascular system is impacted by both physiologic and pathologic biomechanical stress. We have identified that SPRR3 is a mechanosensitive protein expressed by vascular smooth muscle cells and have begun to study its role in the cardiovascular system using a mouse knockout model.
Blood banking, transfusion practices, serology
Clincial Research Description:
The Vanderbilt University Blood Bank is undergoing automation as well as a major software installment. We continually strive to implement the best Transfusion Practices.
- O''Leary, MF, Szklarski, P, Klein, TM, Young, PP Hemolysis of red blood cells after cell washing with different automated technologies: clinical implications in a neonatal cardiac surgery population. Transfusion, 51(5), 955-60, 2011.
- Young, PP, Cotton, BA, Goodnough, LT Massive transfusion protocols for patients with substantial hemorrhage. Transfus Med Rev, 25(4), 293-303, 2011.
- Alfaro, MP, Saraswati, S, Young, PP Molecular mediators of mesenchymal stem cell biology. Vitam Horm, 8739-59, 2011.
- Gehrie, E, Neff, AT, Ciombor, KK, Harris, N, Seegmiller, AC, Young, PP Profound piperacillin-mediated drug-induced immune hemolysis in a patient with cystic fibrosis. Transfusion, 2011.
- Garcia, CB, Shaffer, CM, Alfaro, MP, Smith, AL, Sun, J, Zhao, Z, Young, PP, Vansaun, MN, Eid, JE Reprogramming of mesenchymal stem cells by the synovial sarcoma-associated oncogene SYT-SSX2. Oncogene, 2011.
- Li, B, Pozzi, A, Young, PP TNFalpha accelerates monocyte to endothelial transdifferentiation in tumors by the induction of integrin alpha5 expression and adhesion to fibronectin. Mol Cancer Res, 9(6), 702-11, 2011.
- Pyle, AL, Young, PP Atheromas feel the pressure: biomechanical stress and atherosclerosis. Am J Pathol, 177(1), 4-9, 2010.
- Cotton, BA, Dossett, LA, Haut, ER, Shafi, S, Nunez, TC, Au, BK, Zaydfudim, V, Johnston, M, Arbogast, P, Young, PP Multicenter validation of a simplified score to predict massive transfusion in trauma. J Trauma, 69 Suppl 1S33-9, 2010.
- Cates, JM, Friedman, DB, Seeley, EH, Dupont, WD, Schwartz, HS, Holt, GE, Caprioli, RM, Young, PP Proteomic analysis of osteogenic sarcoma: association of tumour necrosis factor with poor prognosis. Int J Exp Pathol, 2010.
- Saraswati, S, Alfaro, MP, Thorne, CA, Atkinson, J, Lee, E, Young, PP Pyrvinium, a potent small molecule Wnt inhibitor, promotes wound repair and post-MI cardiac remodeling. PLoS One, 5(11), e15521, 2010.
- Alfaro, MP, Vincent, A, Saraswati, S, Thorne, CA, Hong, CC, Lee, E, Young, PP sFRP2 suppression of bone morphogenic protein (BMP) and Wnt signaling mediates mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) self-renewal promoting engraftment and myocardial repair. J Biol Chem, 285(46), 35645-53, 2010.
- Barnes, SL, Young, PP, Miga, MI A novel model-gel-tissue assay analysis for comparing tumor elastic properties to collagen content. Biomech Model Mechanobiol, 8(4), 337-43, 2009.
- Pyle AL, Li B, Maupin AB, Guzman RJ, Crimmins DL, Olson S, Atkinson JB and Young PP. "Biomechanical stress induces novel arterial intima-enriched genes: implications for vascular adaptation to stress.." Cardiovasc Pathol, in press2009.
- Au, BK, Dutton, WD, Zaydfudim, V, Nunez, TC, Young, PP, Cotton, BA Hyperkalemia following massive transfusion in trauma. J Surg Res, 157(2), 284-9, 2009.
- Li B, Vincent A, Cates J, Brantley-Sieders, D, Polk DB, Young PP "Low levels of TNF increase tumor growth by inducing an endothelial phenotype of monocytes recruited to the tumor site." Cancer Res, in press2009.
- Li, B, Vincent, A, Cates, J, Brantley-Sieders, DM, Polk, DB, Young, PP Low levels of tumor necrosis factor alpha increase tumor growth by inducing an endothelial phenotype of monocytes recruited to the tumor site. Cancer Res, 69(1), 338-48, 2009.
- Cotton, BA, Au, BK, Nunez, TC, Gunter, OL, Robertson, AM, Young, PP Predefined massive transfusion protocols are associated with a reduction in organ failure and postinjury complications. J Trauma, 66(1), 41-8; discussion 48-9, 2009.
- Alfaro MP, Pagni M, Vincent A, Atkinson J, Hill MF, Cates J, Davidson JM, Rottman J, Lee E, and Young PP. "A Wnt modulator sFRP2 enhances mesenchymal stem cell engraftment, granulation tissue formation and myocardial repair.." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. , USA, Track 2, in press2008.
- Pyle, AL, Li, B, Maupin, AB, Guzman, RJ, Crimmins, DL, Olson, S, Atkinson, JB, Young, PP Biomechanical stress induces novel arterial intima-enriched genes: implications for vascular adaptation to stress. Cardiovasc Pathol, 19(2), e13-20, 2008.
- Cotton, BA, Gunter, OL, Isbell, J, Au, BK, Robertson, AM, Morris, JA, St Jacques, P, Young, PP Damage control hematology: the impact of a trauma exsanguination protocol on survival and blood product utilization. J Trauma, 64(5), 1177-82; discussion 1182-3, 2008.
- Devin JK, Vaughan DE, Blevins LS, Chen Q, Covington J, Verity DK, and Young PP "Low-dose growth hormone administration mobilizes endothelial progenitor cells in healthy adults." Growth Hormone and IGF Res., 9983-92, 2008.
- Gunter, OL, Au, BK, Isbell, JM, Mowery, NT, Young, PP, Cotton, BA Optimizing outcomes in damage control resuscitation: identifying blood product ratios associated with improved survival. J Trauma, 65(3), 527-34, 2008.
- Pyle, AL, Atkinson, JB, Pozzi, A, Reese, J, Eckes, B, Davidson, JM, Crimmins, DL, Young, PP Regulation of the atheroma-enriched protein, SPRR3, in vascular smooth muscle cells through cyclic strain is dependent on integrin alpha1beta1/collagen interaction. Am J Pathol, 173(5), 1577-88, 2008.
- Alfaro, MP, Pagni, M, Vincent, A, Atkinson, J, Hill, MF, Cates, J, Davidson, JM, Rottman, J, Lee, E, Young, PP The Wnt modulator sFRP2 enhances mesenchymal stem cell engraftment, granulation tissue formation and myocardial repair. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 105(47), 18366-71, 2008.
- Ryzhov, S, Solenkova, NV, Goldstein, AE, Lamparter, M, Fleenor, T, Young, PP, Greelish, JP, Byrne, JG, Vaughan, DE, Biaggioni, I, Hatzopoulos, AK, Feoktistov, I Adenosine Receptor Mediated Adhesion of Endothelial Progenitors to Cardiac Microvascular Endothelial Cells. Circ Res, 2007.
- Young, PP, Vaughan, DE, Hatzopoulos, AK Biologic properties of endothelial progenitor cells and their potential for cell therapy. Prog Cardiovasc Dis, 49(6), 421-9, 2007.
- Santoro, SA, Mosse, CA, Young, PP The MD/PhD pathway to a career in laboratory medicine. Clin Lab Med, 27(2), 425-34; abstract ix, 2007.
- Sharpe, EE, Teleron, AA, Li, B, Price, J, Sands, MS, Alford, K, Young, PP The origin and in vivo significance of murine and human culture-expanded endothelial progenitor cells. Am J Pathol, 168(5), 1710-21, 2006.
- Li, B, Sharpe, EE, Maupin, AB, Teleron, AA, Pyle, AL, Carmeliet, P, Young, PP VEGF and PlGF promote adult vasculogenesis by enhancing EPC recruitment and vessel formation at the site of tumor neovascularization. FASEB J, 20(9), 1495-7, 2006.
- Teleron, Amylynn A, Carlson, Brian, Young, Pampee P Blood donor white blood cell reduction filters as a source of human peripheral blood-derived endothelial progenitor cells. Transfusion, 45(1), 21-5, 2005.
- Young, PP, Modur, V, Teleron, AA, Ladenson, JH Enrichment of genes in the aortic intima that are associated with stratified epithelium: implications of underlying biomechanical and barrier properties of the arterial intima. Circulation, 111(18), 2382-90, 2005.
- Young, PP, Uzieblo, A, Trulock, E, Lublin, DM, Goodnough, LT Autoantibody formation after alloimmunization: are blood transfusions a risk factor for autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Transfusion, 44(1), 67-72, 2004.
- Alcorn, JL, Islam, KN, Young, PP, Mendelson, CR Glucocorticoid inhibition of SP-A gene expression in lung type II cells is mediated via the TTF-1-binding element. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 286(4), L767-76, 2004.
- Young, Pampee P, Fantz, Corinne R, Sands, Mark S VEGF disrupts the neonatal blood-brain barrier and increases life span after non-ablative BMT in a murine model of congenital neurodegeneration caused by a lysosomal enzyme deficiency. Exp Neurol, 188(1), 104-14, 2004.
- Young, Pampee P, Vogler, Carole, Alex Hofling, A, Sands, Mark S, Biodistribution and efficacy of donor t lymphocytes in a murine model of lysosomal storage disease.. Mol Ther, 752-61, 2003.
- Young, Pampee P, Hofling, A Alex, Sands, Mark S, VEGF increases engraftment of bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) into vasculature of newborn murine recipients.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 9911951-6, 2002.
- Young, P P, Goodnough, L T, Westervelt, P, Diersio, J F, Immune hemolysis involving non-ABO/RhD alloantibodies following hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.. Bone Marrow Transplant, 271305-10, 2001.
- Young, P P, Buller, R S, Storch, G A, Evaluation of a commercial DNA enzyme immunoassay for detection of enterovirus reverse transcription-PCR products amplified from cerebrospinal fluid specimens.. J Clin Microbiol, 384260-1, 2000.
- Mendelson, C R, Gao, E, Li, J, Young, P P, Michael, L F, Alcorn, J L, Regulation of expression of surfactant protein-A.. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1408132-49, 1998.
- Young, P P, Mendelson, C R, A GT box element is essential for basal and cyclic adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate regulation of the human surfactant protein A2 gene in alveolar type II cells: evidence for the binding of lung nuclear factors distinct from Sp1.. Mol Endocrinol, 111082-93, 1997.
- Mendelson, C R, Gao, E, Young, P P, Michael, L F, Alcorn, J L, Transcriptional regulation of the surfactant protein-A gene in fetal lung.. Chest, 11196S-104S, 1997.
- Young, PP, Mendelson, CR A CRE-like element plays an essential role in cAMP regulation of human SP-A2 gene in alveolar type II cells. Am J Physiol, 271(2 Pt 1), L287-99, 1996.
- M.D. - University of Texas Southwestern
- Ph.D. - University of Texas at Dallas
- Fellowship - University of Washington Medical Center
- Residency - University of Washington Medical Center