Stacey S. Huppert, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Cell & Developmental Biology
Vanderbilt Center for Stem Cell Biology
2213 Garland Avenue
Nashville, TN 37232-0494
The goal of our lab is to explore how intercellular signaling pathways are integrated in both developmental and disease responses of the liver. The information gained from these studies will provide the framework to compare aspects of liver development to the process of liver regeneration. We are initially examining the role of the Notch intercellular signaling pathway in coordinating cell fate decisions during liver development and regeneration. Possible rotation projects are:
1. Determine the cell lineages that require Notch signaling to support liver progenitor/stem cell proliferation and morphogenesis during liver development and/or following adult liver injury.
2. Determine the relationship between patterning of the intrahepatic bile duct system and the vascular systems of the liver during development and regeneration.
3. Identify the cell lineages that activate Notch1 during adult liver regeneration.
4. Determine if chronic loss or activation of Notch signaling affects Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) progression.
- Thorne, CA, Lafleur, B, Lewis, M, Hanson, AJ, Jernigan, KK, Weaver, DC, Huppert, KA, Chen, TW, Wichaidit, C, Cselenyi, CS, Tahinci, E, Meyers, KC, Waskow, E, Orton, D, Salic, A, Lee, LA, Robbins, DJ, Huppert, SS, Lee, E A biochemical screen for identification of small-molecule regulators of the Wnt pathway using Xenopus egg extracts. J Biomol Screen, 16(9), 995-1006, 2011.
- Huppert, SS A new set of classifications for ductal plate malformations. Hepatology, 53(6), 1795-7, 2011.
- Humphreys, R, Zheng, W, Prince, LS, Qu, X, Brown, C, Loomes, K, Huppert, SS, Baldwin, S, Goudy, S Cranial Neural Crest Ablation of Jagged1 Recapitulates The Craniofacial Phenotype of Alagille Syndrome Patients. Hum Mol Genet, 2011.
- Sparks, EE, Perrien, DS, Huppert, KA, Peterson, TE, Huppert, SS Defects in hepatic Notch signaling result in disruption of the communicating intrahepatic bile duct network in mice. Dis Model Mech, 4(3), 359-67, 2011.
- Vanderpool, C, Sparks, EE, Huppert, KA, Gannon, M, Means, AL, Huppert, SS Genetic interactions between hepatocyte nuclear factor-6 and notch signaling regulate mouse intrahepatic bile duct development in vivo. Hepatology, 2011.
- Sparks, EE, Huppert, KA, Brown, MA, Washington, MK, Huppert, SS Notch signaling regulates formation of the three-dimensional architecture of intrahepatic bile ducts in mice. Hepatology, 51(4), 1391-400, 2010.
- Huppert, SS, Magnuson, MA New complexity in differentiating stem cells toward hepatic and pancreatic fates. Sci Signal, 2(83), pe50, 2009.
- Knutson, SK, Chyla, BJ, Amann, JM, Bhaskara, S, Huppert, SS, Hiebert, SW Liver-specific deletion of histone deacetylase 3 disrupts metabolic transcriptional networks. EMBO J, 27(7), 1017-28, 2008.
- Vooijs, M, Ong, CT, Hadland, B, Huppert, S, Liu, Z, Korving, J, van den Born, M, Stappenbeck, T, Wu, Y, Clevers, H, Kopan, R Mapping the consequence of Notch1 proteolysis in vivo with NIP-CRE. Development, 134(3), 535-44, 2007.
- Chandu, D, Huppert, SS, Kopan, R Analysis of transmembrane domain mutants is consistent with sequential cleavage of Notch by gamma-secretase. J Neurochem, 96(1), 228-35, 2006.
- Huppert, SS, Ilagan, MX, De Strooper, B, Kopan, R Analysis of Notch function in presomitic mesoderm suggests a gamma-secretase-independent role for presenilins in somite differentiation. Dev Cell, 8(5), 677-88, 2005.
- Hadland, BK, Huppert, SS, Kanungo, J, Xue, Y, Jiang, R, Gridley, T, Conlon, RA, Cheng, AM, Kopan, R, Longmore, GD A requirement for Notch1 distinguishes 2 phases of definitive hematopoiesis during development. Blood, 104(10), 3097-105, 2004.
- Nichols, AM, Pan, Y, Herreman, A, Hadland, BK, De Strooper, B, Kopan, R, Huppert, SS Notch pathway is dispensable for adipocyte specification. Genesis, 40(1), 40-4, 2004.
- Huppert, S, Kopan, R Regulated intramembrane proteolysis takes another twist. Dev Cell, 1(5), 590-2, 2001.
- Huppert, SS, Le, A, Schroeter, EH, Mumm, JS, Saxena, MT, Milner, LA, Kopan, R Embryonic lethality in mice homozygous for a processing-deficient allele of Notch1. Nature, 405(6789), 966-70, 2000.
- Huppert, SS, Jacobsen, TL, Muskavitch, MA Feedback regulation is central to Delta-Notch signalling required for Drosophila wing vein morphogenesis. Development, 124(17), 3283-91, 1997.
- Parks, AL, Huppert, SS, Muskavitch, MA The dynamics of neurogenic signalling underlying bristle development in Drosophila melanogaster. Mech Dev, 63(1), 61-74, 1997.