- To collect, process, bank, and distribute human breast tumor and matched normal tissue samples to investigators in the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center (VICC) Breast Cancer SPORE.
- To perform quality control to ensure that the relevant tissue is supplied to the researcher and suitable for the planned research (not necrotic or involved by unsuspected disease processes).
- To protect patient confidentiality through use of a pre-surgical consent form that specifically addresses use of extraneous tissue from a clinically indicated surgical procedure for research purposes through de-identification of specimens.
- To work with the VICC Clinical & Research Informatics Resource to establish an informatics strategy for networking of requests, specimen tracking, extraction of clinicopathologic data relating to specimens of interest, and linkage to research data.
- To provide expertise in bone histology and histomorphometry.
- To provide laser capture microdissection services to Breast SPORE investigators.
- To provide tissue microarray services to Breast SPORE investigators.
- To provide expertise in developing, performing, and evaluating immunohistochemical (IHC) and FISH assays for Breast SPORE investigators, including IHC on tissue microarrays.
- To provide expertise in evaluation of the histopathology of human breast tumor xenografts in mice.