Meet the Research Advocates
Research advocates at Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center support our research efforts in many ways and for many reasons. Our advocates are cancer survivors, caregivers, and community members who are committed to making a difference.
As a breast cancer survivor since 1999, Patty has shared her experiences and knowledge in a variety of venues, both professionally and personally. She received a M.L.S. degree from the University of Texas, and has been a medical librarian for over 25 years working closely with the cancer research community. Patty joined the VICC Breast SPORE in 2005 as a research advocate, participates in the SPORE research and advocate meetings, and facilitated advocate training on accessing scientific online resources. She also serves on the Breast Cancer Tumor Board, is a patient advocate on the VICC Cancer committee, and has been accepted as a consumer reviewer for the Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research program.
Number of years as a cancer survivor:
How many years have you been a VICC research advocate?
Why did you become a VICC research advocate?
List any ways you are involved in national organizations, if any. (Ex: grant reviewer for DoD, national advocacy, etc.)
- Consumer Reviewer for DoD CDMRP Breast Cancer
- 2014 DoD Molecular Biology & Genetics (MBG) panel
- 2012 DoD Clinical and Experimental Therapeutics Panel
- DoD 2008 Breast Cancer Innovation Awards
- DoD 2010 Era of Hope Postdoctoral Awards
- 2008 DoD Breast Cancer Innovation Awards
- Translational Breast Cancer Research Consortium Member 2008+
- Triple Negative Working Group and Patient Advocate Working Group
- Member - American Association for Cancer Research 2008 +
List any presentations or poster sessions you have been involved in at scientific conferences.
- “Mythbusters: Cancer Research in Jeopardy” American Association for Cancer Research 2010 Poster Abstract #972
- Poster Presentation: Mythbusters: Cancer Research in Jeopardy. AACE-CPEN-EACE Joint Meeting International Cancer Education Conference October 2010
- SU2C Targeting the PI3K Pathway in Women’s Cancers – VICC Advocate representative 2009-2011
Do you serve on any committees, advisory boards, etc. at VICC or VUMC?
VICC Cancer Committee VICC External Advisory Board VICC Breast Cancer Program/Breast SPORE Past member of VICC Scientific Review Committee and Quality Council
Do you have any relevant advocate trainings or certifications (Ex: Project LEAD)?
AACR Scientist Survivor Program Scholarship and Certificate 2010