Anuradha (Bapsi) Chakravarthy, M.D.
- Professor, Program Director
- Professor of Radiation Oncology
Dr. Anuradha (Bapsi) Chakravarthy, known better to her patients and colleagues as Bapsi Chak, is a member of the faculty and Residency Director in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Dr. Chak received her Doctor of Medicine degree from the George Washington University, Washington, D.C. Following a residency in Internal Medicine at the Mayo Clinic she completed a fellowship in Medical Oncology at the University of Maryland and Radiation Oncology at the Johns Hopkins University. She is board certified in both radiation oncology and medical oncology. She has served on several university committees including the Scientific Review Committee, the Institutional Review Board and the Data Safety and Monitoring Board. On a national level, Dr. Chak serves as Radiation Oncology Chair, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group.
Dr. Chak's clinical interests involve treating malignancies of the breast and gastrointestinal tract (esophageal, pancreas, gastric, colorectal, and anal). Her research interests involve the development of markers to predict therapeutic response. Currently we treat many patients empirically with drugs that may benefit the population as a whole but not necessarily the individual. Using new technologies to analyze thousands of genes and proteins simultaneously from tumors, Dr. Chak hopes to identify molecular patterns that will predict an individual's response to specific agents. Dr. Chak works closely with basic scientists to help bring ideas developed in the laboratory directly to patient care. Dr. Chak also works with imaging scientists to determine whether non-invasive tools such as imaging can be used to predict therapeutic outcome.
- B.S. -The Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, Maryland
- M.D.- George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Resident in Internal Medicine- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
- Resident in Radiation Oncology- The Johns Hopkins Univeristy, Baltimore, Maryland
- Fellow in Medical Oncology- University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- Atuegwu NC, Li X, Arlinghaus LR, Abramson RG, Williams JM, Chakravarthy AB, Abramson VG, Yankeelov TE. Longitudinal, intermodality registration of quantitative breast PET and MRI data acquired before and during neoadjuvant chemotherapy: preliminary results. Med Phys. 2014 May; 41(5): 52302. PMID: 24784395, PMCID: PMC4000383, DOI: 10.1118/1.4870966, ISSN: 0094-2405.
- Li X, Arlinghaus LR, Ayers GD, Chakravarthy AB, Abramson RG, Abramson VG, Atuegwu N, Farley J, Mayer IA, Kelley MC, Meszoely IM, Means-Powell J, Grau AM, Sanders M, Bhave SR, Yankeelov TE. DCE-MRI analysis methods for predicting the response of breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: pilot study findings. Magn Reson Med [print-electronic]. 2014 Apr; 71(4): 1592-602. PMID: 23661583, PMCID: PMC3742614, DOI: 10.1002/mrm.24782, ISSN: 1522-2594.
- FitzHenry F, Wells N, Slater V, Dietrich MS, Wisawatapnimit P, Chakravarthy AB. A randomized placebo-controlled pilot study of the impact of healing touch on fatigue in breast cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy. Integr Cancer Ther [print-electronic]. 2014 Mar; 13(2): 105-13. PMID: 24105358, PII: 1534735413503545, DOI: 10.1177/1534735413503545, ISSN: 1552-695X.
- Li X, Kang H, Arlinghaus LR, Abramson RG, Chakravarthy AB, Abramson VG, Farley J, Sanders M, Yankeelov TE. Analyzing Spatial Heterogeneity in DCE- and DW-MRI Parametric Maps to Optimize Prediction of Pathologic Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer. Transl Oncol. 2014 Feb; 7(1): 14-22. PMID: 24772203, PMCID: PMC3998687, ISSN: 1936-5233.
- Abramson RG, Li X, Hoyt TL, Su PF, Arlinghaus LR, Wilson KJ, Abramson VG, Chakravarthy AB, Yankeelov TE. Early assessment of breast cancer response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy by semi-quantitative analysis of high-temporal resolution DCE-MRI: preliminary results. Magn Reson Imaging [print-electronic]. 2013 Nov; 31(9): 1457-64. PMID: 23954320, PMCID: PMC3807825, PII: S0730-725X(13)00233-6, DOI: 10.1016/j.mri.2013.07.002, ISSN: 1873-5894.
- Weis JA, Miga MI, Arlinghaus LR, Li X, Chakravarthy AB, Abramson V, Farley J, Yankeelov TE. A mechanically coupled reaction-diffusion model for predicting the response of breast tumors to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Phys Med Biol [print-electronic]. 2013 Sep 9/7/2013; 58(17): 5851-66. PMID: 23920113, PMCID: PMC3791925, DOI: 10.1088/0031-9155/58/17/5851, ISSN: 1361-6560.
- Wang T, Wentz SC, Ausborn NL, Washington MK, Merchant N, Zhao Z, Shyr Y, Chakravarthy AB, Xia F. Pattern of breast cancer susceptibility gene 1 expression is a potential prognostic biomarker in resectable pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Pancreas. 2013 Aug; 42(6): 977-82. PMID: 23851432, PMCID: PMC4026161, PII: 00006676-201308000-00013, DOI: 10.1097/MPA.0b013e318287885c, ISSN: 1536-4828.
- Castel LD, Hartmann KE, Mayer IA, Saville BR, Alvarez J, Boomershine CS, Abramson VG, Chakravarthy AB, Friedman DL, Cella DF. Time course of arthralgia among women initiating aromatase inhibitor therapy and a postmenopausal comparison group in a prospective cohort. Cancer [print-electronic]. 2013 Jul 7/1/2013; 119(13): 2375-82. PMID: 23575918, PMCID: PMC3687009, DOI: 10.1002/cncr.28016, ISSN: 1097-0142.
- Atuegwu NC, Arlinghaus LR, Li X, Chakravarthy AB, Abramson VG, Sanders ME, Yankeelov TE. Parameterizing the Logistic Model of Tumor Growth by DW-MRI and DCE-MRI Data to Predict Treatment Response and Changes in Breast Cancer Cellularity during Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Transl Oncol [electronic-print]. 2013 Jun; 6(3): 256-64. PMID: 23730404, PMCID: PMC3660793, ISSN: 1936-5233.
- Al-Greene NT, Means AL, Lu P, Jiang A, Schmidt CR, Chakravarthy AB, Merchant NB, Washington MK, Zhang B, Shyr Y, Deane NG, Beauchamp RD. Four jointed box 1 promotes angiogenesis and is associated with poor patient survival in colorectal carcinoma. PLoS ONE [electronic-print]. 2013; 8(7): e69660. PMID: 23922772, PMCID: PMC3726759, PII: PONE-D-13-05038, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0069660, ISSN: 1932-6203.